Glass surfing non-stop for weeks

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
As the title says, Leo’s been glass surfing non-stop for at least a week and a half already. He’s already caused permanent damage to his enclosure’s walls and sliding doors, and he’s been doing it to the extreme, it’s reached the point where I am genuinely concerned about him hurting himself somehow.

Can someone tell me exactly what the hell is going on right here? He’s a mature male, 11 months, so could it be breeding urges? Or post-brumation crazies? He’s been doing this non stop, and his scratching noises are slowly driving me insane. I’m putting up cardboard along the walls to prevent more damage.

His lights, temps, humidity, and everything are spot on so I strongly doubt that is the cause. Basking spot is 103 degrees (9” away from basking spot), humidity is 24%, UVB is 21” away from the floor (14%). He isn’t showing signs of stress, he’s eating fine, hr hasn’t lost any weight… what is going on?

He’s already damaged the scales on his snout from rubbing them against the wall, and he’s fallen from the walls a couple times. He’s putting himself in danger. How can I fix this problem and ensure his safety? Is this something I should be concerned about? This is my first male, so I’m unsure of what to expect.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As the title says, Leo’s been glass surfing non-stop for at least a week and a half already. He’s already caused permanent damage to his enclosure’s walls and sliding doors, and he’s been doing it to the extreme, it’s reached the point where I am genuinely concerned about him hurting himself somehow.

Can someone tell me exactly what the hell is going on right here? He’s a mature male, 11 months, so could it be breeding urges? Or post-brumation crazies? He’s been doing this non stop, and his scratching noises are slowly driving me insane. I’m putting up cardboard along the walls to prevent more damage.

His lights, temps, humidity, and everything are spot on so I strongly doubt that is the cause. Basking spot is 103 degrees (9” away from basking spot), humidity is 24%, UVB is 21” away from the floor (14%). He isn’t showing signs of stress, he’s eating fine, hr hasn’t lost any weight… what is going on?

He’s already damaged the scales on his snout from rubbing them against the wall, and he’s fallen from the walls a couple times. He’s putting himself in danger. How can I fix this problem and ensure his safety? Is this something I should be concerned about? This is my first male, so I’m unsure of what to expect.
I am assuming you have let him out for 2 hrs at time- ? Did it do any good and stop the surfing for that day or did he go back to doing it again?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I am assuming you have let him out for 2 hrs at time- ? Did it do any good and stop the surfing for that day or did he go back to doing it again?
I take him out of his enclosure for on minimum 2 hours at a time, every day, but he shows no signs of stopping.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I take him out of his enclosure for on minimum 2 hours at a time, every day, but he shows no signs of stopping.
Are you ABSOLUTELY 💯 positive he is a he ? ( not doubting you at all) that's the way Ruby acts a week to two weeks before laying eggs. I dunno how a creature so small can cause so much commotion lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so lets sex the dragon-- please place on a kitchen table vent facing camera w/ the tail in the air

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Are you ABSOLUTELY 💯 positive he is a he ? ( not doubting you at all) that's the way Ruby acts a week to two weeks before laying eggs. I dunno how a creature so small can cause so much commotion lol.
I can guarantee he is male 👍

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Not really- what does he do when you get him out for awhile? Have you checked temps
I’ve checked the temps, they’re sitting at about 104 degrees on the basking spot right now, and when I take him out he tries to run off of high surfaces and goes nuts.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’ve checked the temps, they’re sitting at about 104 degrees on the basking spot right now, and when I take him out he tries to run off of high surfaces and goes nuts.
This does not sound right- I would recommend a vet check - do you have a reptile vet?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They go through a higher than normal hormone level in the early spring or middle spring. It can vary from dragon to dragon as to when they are so hormonal.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom