cage sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tontinos

what cage size should I get?? I keep hearing a 40gall is fine then i hear its too small and to get a 75gall and then i hear thats a waste of space. I don't know what to get when i get my beardie!

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
A 40 gallon breeder is ok for an adult. I personally think it's too small, but they will do. I have mine in a 40, but she's still small. We currently have our savannah in a 75 gallon breeder, but eventually we will have to upgrade his cage, and then we will move Blazey into the larger tank.

I think as a baby, 75 gallon is kind of a waste of space, but I think it would be a bigger waste of money to buy a 40 then a 75 later; unless of course you can justify it with another pet :) Our boa will move into the 40 gallon, later, unless we get something else before then!

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I have my adult female in a 75g tank (48"x18") and I wouldn't go smaller. While she does often hang out on her basking spot, there are other days where she is all over her tank. My husband and I work full time, and when we are home we have other larger pets who roam the house (making it unsafe for Randal to run around solo), so Randal doesn't get a whole lot of exercise time outside of her tank which makes it particularly important that she have as much living/running space in her tank as possible. Once I have the time/money I plan on building her at least a 4'x2'x2' enclosure.

Another consideration is that most recommend at least 6-8 square feet of floor space with 18 inches width for an adult dragon and a 40g breeder gives the recommended width but only 4 1/2 feet of floor space.

If someone is home and the dragon has a time daily to roam outside of the tank, then it would probably be fine to go with the smaller alternative - otherwise the larger the tank, the more space your dragon has to exercise and the more variety you can provide for him as far as temperatures, tank furniture, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom