Broly the new super saiyan beardie

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Well, it's official hes being a teenager about food! How i know? He's ate apples two days in a row! Only apples he will eat right out of the bowl! He held out 4 days till I gave in I thought he'd be hungry, but nooo not hungry enough for other food. This little butt will hold out forever if I wasn't worried about him being hungry. So what is y'alls thoughts? He won't touch any feeder bugs or baby food or greens/veggies or beardie bites. I even tried apples in with collards and he stepped on the greens and ate the fruit instead and I know it's not good. Fruit is supposed to be 10% of his diet and he rather go more and starve himself till I put them in again and if I don't...he'll walk away and lay in a corner and close his eyes relaxing (must be his way of sulking). I'm totally frustrated I've tried everything but he'll ignore and not eat for days no matter how long I wait it out! I don't want him waiting for months and look skinny like old man Vash did. I'm sure he'll wait months for the apples. He's stressing me out, he loved greens as a baby now he doesn't want anything to do with them same goes for bugs/beardie bites/ baby food. He hated apples back then now he wants them. How long should i wait? Will he really starve himself to boney body if I don't give in? I read a thread that a dragon is boney and not eating because of a new family member. Though no new family member here he's refusing everything but apples.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe you could try misting his greens with apple juice or mix the greens in apple sauce. I know Mystic loves applesauce.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Great idea Terry, thank you! I have 100% apple cider!

The ingredients are water, apple juice and vitamin C can I use thst? Its all natural I dont see artificial colors or additives. Straight up apples and water.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Tried all day yesterday (breaks in between) to get bugs in him. He didnt budge or open his eyes at this I went away and he opened his eyes. I did apple juice nothing..I tried applesauce and he acknowledged it looked a few times at it but wasn't sure so he left it. Yes, it was sugar free applesauce and juice. I hate hunger strike! I tried butterworms, pheonix worms, horn, supers and silk he didnt even acknowledge them. I put the bag of crickets in front of him and he stared at them Im not too sure what hes going to do, either eat them or they live out their lives.
I gave him a bath and he pooped after 9 days, today would have been day 10 if he didn't go. I rubbed the tummy the whole 20 minutes! I grated butternut squash and he didnt care about it. The crix and roaches are eating the butternut. I have six african dwarf frogs now...Broly didnt want to eat them...not that I wanted him too but usually when he sees something he'll try to eat it. Hes on a apple kick, nothing else appeals to his liking. Then again hes tired he had a 20 minute bath to poop in which he did and baths usually tire him out because they're comfortable. I'll update tomorrow if anything changes. Oh i saw the Captain America movie it was good!

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

He ate 4 crix Im happy about that! It's a start as for about 3 weeks he didnt eat any protein. Least my mom won't have problems feeding him protein now and his weight should go back up (since BMing and not eating much weight has slowly been going down). I hope it's over, I'll see about salad he is supposed to be switched over to mostly greens. Hes 16 months old today pretty close to 18 months (July). At any rate, happy he ate anything at all, since it's cold it was a struggle just letting crix in one by one and him almost not eating them. Best part: he ate them on his own!

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
He's back to eating bugs, unfortunately I have to stick greens/veggies in his mouth. His weight has gone up too 374 now and yesterday was 371...yeah I did it yesterday too I needed to be sure. The green/veggie refusing is normal it's not new that's been going on since late 2015. Same with the beardie bites so they turned into something the crix can have when greens and butternut go bad. I gave him 13 pieces of basil and he ate all 13...it was a long process but worked. Now if I can get him to eat worms...I'll try but in 12 days Im leaving to California and my mom will be in charge of crickets (at least he'll eat them) and my brother will put greens in his bowl (he's too busy to sit there and feed him like I do plus he doesn't wanna get bitten). I'll get him to gain some more weight before I go so he can stand to lose a bit while Im gone and Im sure by giving crix his weight will go up that way.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I still hand feed everyone but Castiel, he won't eat anything I offer him, he wants to eat out of his bowls. He's gained most of the weight he lost during Spring Fever.

Nathaniel sprained his right arm the other night when I pulled him out from underneath the stereo cabinet but it's healing nicely. He's been very good not moving it and even when he was put on the ramp today, he stayed still. He's such a good boy and I felt awfully bad for causing it.

Imp is up to 257g and 16", still find him small for a 7 mo old but he has lots of time to catch up.

11887-9603342032.jpg
11887-2300228440.jpg

His head is getting ready to shed, as well as his tail and 2 legs. Nathaniel is covered in shed that shedding, 1/2 his back, his tummy, 2 legs. They'll both get baths tomorrow.

I'm glad Broly is eating his bugs again, I knew it wouldn't take too long. Don't worry about hand feeding, some dragons eat greens on their own, some don't.

Have a great time in California!

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you Deb! I will have a good time.

Yeah, got used to feeding greens by gently parting his lips and sticking the greens in (he likes it really). He still loves apples. Spring fever is over as he doesnt wake up and black beard anymore. It's weird he loved greens on his own back then but doesnt anymore but it's taken time to get used to. He'll hunt crix at least well his version of hunting is letting them walk by and snatching them up! LOL. He's been asleep since about 4:45p it's always been that way but up all day at least. Window looking always tires him out as well as a full belly of amount of greens as he'll take before walking away. Also give .3ml of calcium.

Sorry about Nathaniel I'm glad it's healing well.
So feeding 4 dragons is that a lot of work?
Those pics of Imp are as always beautiful!
There's a pic of Broly on page 51 if you hadn't seen it yet.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He looks great Kami, very well fed, even though it's been a struggle. And yes, it's a pain to feed 4 dragons, but luckily Cierra has started eating on her own & so is Castiel a bit more. For Castiel, when he's out, I just throw worms at him, he won't be hand fed. He likes to hunt them down. So that's good, it's just finding the time when I'm home to sit down and throw them at him.

Gabriel and Nathaniel have to be hand fed, but it's not too much of a hassle, only twice a week. Gabriel only gets 6 worms a sitting, so 12 a week and Nathaniel will eat about 12-15 a sitting. he's so full of energy, the opposite of Gabriel, that I feed him as many as he'll eat. Now greens are a different story, neither like them and Walmart doesn't sell collards anymore. Head office took them off the list, not sure why and it's a pain to find replacements. So got some seeds and will try to grow them over the summer. So for the dragons, when I run out, it will be bok choy, it's the only other green they'll eat. For the worms, it'll be swiss chard. I bought 3 seedlings that I have to plant, so that will give the dragons something to eat when they're on the balcony.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh and Nathaniel's arm is totally healed, since Friday, fast healer considering the Friday before he couldn't put any weight on him, now he takes off like a cannon when I put him out :lol:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks Deb! He does look good but he was puffed and bearding that day. He pooped yesterday (Saturday) he did poop last Saturday too so it might be a weekly thing. I gave apple sauce and that helped it seemed. Between hand feedings and him eating apples and crickets on his own he eats enough to poop so I'll be adding apple sauce more often. He hasn't gained much weight but he hasn't dropped much (besides how much BM weighs he drops that much). He does stay in the 370s so it's not bad he never goes below that. Recently found out he's shedding his chin not whole beard so that may be the culprit of him not eating much. Maybe daily bath to get that patch off Im not sure is that a good idea?

Glad Nathaniel is healed! Im glad I have one dragon because if I had him and another that won't eat I would be so stressed about feeding both dragons and making enough food for both. One stubborn cutie is enough in this family. Glad the crew is doing well.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sure, more baths is fine, but you know the sheds take their time. Guess when he starts eating more, he'll poop more often. Don't give him the apple sauce unless you want him to poop, it's not a daily recommended fruit.

I'm glad you only have 1, too, 5 is alot, but I've always had 5 so used to it.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
No, I don't give it every day, every Friday or Saturday morning I do. He'll poop on Saturday that way it's not every day fruit, only 1x a week. I add butternut more than any fruit to be honest here. Collards and butternut every day and apple sauce once a week. His poop did look good soft urate and white and firm solid shape with a few cricket eggs (he has no eggs before crickets). I got most shed to move further as soon as it resisted movement I stopped and dried him from bath. Back in the tank, he proceeded to put his beard to carpet and rub it off...it came off so now those few scales looked damaged (don't need a vet bill Im freaking leaving next weekend!!!). I have this week to get ready I don't have time for a vet!! Sorry forum people you all know I would go. Though they didn't bleed or have any open wounds so they should be fine and thanks to it being in the day I can't put anything on it as it will burn :roll:. Is there anything that won't burn under his light? Or will it be ok since they're not open wounds and no blood?

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Ok I will thank you for easing my mind.

So he got pretty much all of it off now most of it. Bits on his lips are left so we'll see how much more active hes willing to be tomorrow. He stayed up till 7 tonight and now hes out cold must be all the energy to get it off. He spent about an hour on my uncle's shoulder and Broly did NOT want to come to me! He even black bearded when I tried. I had to when my uncle went to go outside because the sun went behind clouds and is cold now so I got the stink eye for like 10 minutes then he fell asleep under his basking bulb. I had to get Broly at that point it was too cold now. He adores my uncle apparently LOL. Broly does eyeball my dad Im not sure why...my dad hasn't done anything to him. Broly stares him down more. My dad and Broly occasionally have stare downs nothing comes of it. I never seen Vash stare down anyone or Broly just my dad he does. Broly did eat 7 pieces of butternut so that was good...no bugs he didn't want any. He wanted my uncle he did get time with him as I mentioned now he's asleep so still no bugs. Tomorrow he should eat some then.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom