Broly the new super saiyan beardie

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sorry to hear about your stomach getting sick, that's a drag when you were having such a good time. Broly is sure growing, how old is he now? I've lost track LOL

Have a good rest to get your stomach back to good health, Kami.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well when I last spoke to Tracie on his age because he was 9" when I finally measured in April and we guessed 3-4 months old in April. So 7-8 months old now, I think that's about right. He is about 2" away from 16 1/2" now. Hes about as big as Vash when he was 7-8 months old. Pretty much a sub adult now, maybe, I don't know. Anyway, I feel better after 9 hours of sleep last night. He does have a round belly even after pooping (used to look like a skinny belly when he pooped). No worries that's fixed he has a round belly now.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He's just where he should be for his age and still has lots of growing to do :D And he'd still be considered a juvie, once he's a year old, he'd be considered a sub-adult as they're fully grown at 2 years old. Keep doing what you're doing, he's doing so well!

I'm glad you had a good night's sleep, hopefully now your stomach will feel better.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks Deb!

I'm not at all worried just want your opinions.
So in my last post we believe Broly is 7-8 months
old. He eats breakfast eagerly, sometimes lunch but
seems to not want dinner as eagerly as he used to.
I mean his head is still in shed mode it may be related to
that. Hes not crazy about eating 3x a day and I'm not going
to force food in him if he doesn't want it. He didnt eat dinner before or during camping so it's not relocated stress related. His poops are fine and he has slown down lately and hes still up all day and will eat twice if Im lucky. Already check up last month or so (not long ago) so he may be doing what all juvies are doing (not babies) I think he's getting ready for winter slow down (without sleep part) just not wanting much food as he did at the beginning of this month. He still sleeps around 7-8pm. He just kinda lays around and if he wants he'll have energy and walk around.
Hes still alert and awake sometimes lethargic but other times hes up. It is getting cold out as September will be getting cold soon and it's not been much of a warm August anyway. He has been trying to sleep around 5:30 lately I mean he's not lifeless or his fat pads are gone. Hes still alert if I approach the tank and talk to him, he'll run the bed if I let him out other than that, he doesn't seem ill at least in my family's eyes. He has energy just seems a bit more sleepy as August is approaching its end. He still wakes and basks in the morning and ready for breakfast so why doesnt he want lunch (sometimes) or dinner? We say hes still growing but he'll definitely eat one time. So any thoughts? Is he slowing down without the sleep part or is this something else?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
No, Kami, he's just growing up. When they reach his age, they can go down to two feedings a day, so if you find that breakfast and supper are enough, with may be a snack for lunch, then do that. He'll probably eat a bit more for supper than he used to, but it's normal to switch to 2x a day as they get older.

Plus, you're right, he might be slowing down a big because of the change in weather. It's still hot up here, we're still having a heat wave, but even so, Nathaniel is in his hide where he's been for 2 days. So that could be part of it, too, but mainly they eat less during the day at his age than when he was younger. So try twice a day and see if that works for him.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well, it's official after breakfast (he should bask to digest but he doesn't want to) he went to the cool side and lied down. Head down but eyes open. I tried to get him to sit under his basking bulb and uvb but within 5 minutes or so he gets up and goes to the cool side (under only uvb) do a butt snuggle (so cute he still does it it carried over from baby stage) and just lie there. He's definitely ready for winter slow down. Luckily, he still likes to bathe and drink which he did yesterday was get a bath and drink. By 8:30 last night he was ready for bed so he lied down and went to sleep. I should remember any of this Vash didnt do a slow down age 7-8 months (we still lived in Vegas it was still warm) he did however start it at 10 months of age. Broly did run around to get himself to poop so now that is done he wants to lie down. I'm going to let him do whatever, snacktime is coming up so gonna find something he will eat.
3 waxworms may work (not an everyday snack) I will switch up between worms.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
As long as he basks during the day to digest what he's eaten. Winter slow down seems to affect alot of dragons, even babies sometimes. Guess it's official now.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well if he's pooping he must be digesting somehow because they look fine.

I did try a snack he loved the watermelon. I consulted the Beautifuldragon chart watermelon is rare or occasion food I forget which. He only ate 6 of the 11 pieces. Plus he a lot of dinner (mustard greens his favorite) with endive, escarole and cilantro all topped with blueberry BF. I have Oxbow Carnivore Care from my vet he was nice enough to give me some in case he ever loses appetite (winter slow down doesnt count). He wanted me to be prepared if he lost appetite that this will boost him. He's a great lizard.
Tracie said he could sleep on and off and slightly slowing down this year and he totally has slown down sleepin on and off. Deb, you're right about a snack and eating two meals he does want to eat twice a day with a snack at lunch time instead of actual lunch. He does bask in the mornings but after that (snack and dinner) have to move him to the basking spot I get the stink eye like "hey! I'm sleeping here, bug off!" He won't stay for 2 hours no matter what I do, he stays till he warms up and then he's off to the cool side. His poops do look good so..I dont know what to say maybe he's basking properly to digest. I just see him sleepin on the cool side (4p-6p on and off sleep). During the day he stays up just on the cool side. 8p he's really tuckered out so I cover him and turn the lights out.

Tracie also says for his age it's 50/50 chance that it will last a few months or not too long. If it goes on for a few months then I will bathe him and weigh (1x a week) unless he's eating then I will bathe 2x a week I do that now because he's older and doesnt need frequent baths to hydrate. If I should bathe more tell me and I will do it.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
If he's pooping and it looks good, then he's getting enough basking time. So just do what you're doing with him and see how he goes. Weighing him is a good idea, to make sure he doesn't lost much weight. I love the winter for myself, but hate it for what it does to my dragons. Nathaniel hasn't moved in 3 days out of his hide, but I'll get him up on the weekend for a long bath & some basking before he goes back to sleep. For now I'm leaving his light on, just to make sure his tank is warm enough, will see how that goes next week, see if he's in full brumation, then the light goes off.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well hes 196g this week so he hasn't lost any yet. I had to turn the CHE on last night it was cold! I did say it's getting cold now. I love winter as well no worries unless Broly loses a lot of weight. My vet is hoping I don't have to see him at all during winter for Broly. I hope so too I hope he keeps good weight during winter next year when he fully sleeps. My family isn't turning on the pellet stove yet so it's cold in the house! My skin is cold to the touch. He won't move from basking area so far and it's 11a here. He just ate a batch of crix but he wouldnt run over so I put them closer and he gobbled 10 and decided to close his eyes after. Usually he'll 25 of any bug (3x a day but now 2x) but not now he's content sort of sleeping under his basking bulb and eating a
low amount. I won't be surprised if his large poop become small because of decreased eating. Glad 7-8 month olds "sort of" brumating isn't unheard of. Well I did say his 1 year birthday is during colder months of the year. I wonder what his schedule is. Vash was down Sep, up for Thanksgiving then down the day after, up for Christmas (I love that year because of decorating the tree and decorations of other people's yards), down the day after till February and then he stayed up. Broly probably won't want a snack today he seems tired and sluggish. At least he ate his crix so far.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
So August 26 & 27 I was visiting the dr. I've had too many stomach related issues and needed to find out what was causing them. Because on those two days I felt like stomach pain as if I had the flu which it was not. Finally off to the dr late last night well late for mom as she had work at 5:30am. It was like 7:30pm when they saw me and 8:30 by the time we left the dr. So he diagnosed my pain as bad bacteria in my gut (just telling you what he said) he didnt tell me what the name was for it but he gave me antibiotics for it and Im eating yogurt for probiotics (it has Acidophilus in it). He did bloodwork to find out my problem. In 3 weeks, I go back for a recheck.

Broly - he's doing good no bones showing or any problems here. He is now 16 1/2" (measured last night) didnt weigh yet that is next week. I did weigh this week. Maybe he'll hit 200 something grams. He has decided he'll poop in baths now...done it twice so far (different days). I rinse him in clean water after he goes. Wash his plastic tub afterwards well who wants to bathe in crap residue? You're not clean if you do that.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Broly hit 203g this week. Still 16 1/2" as well doesn't seem like he'll grow more but we'll see he's not 2 yet. He's slowing down on growing though and has been since 13 1/2in. pretty sure it's not an issue. He eats greens, bugs, dragon bites and baby food (he likes it on greens) so healthy appitite. Fat pads developed on his head not tail yet and its not skinny.

In about 2 weeks or so we're going up to Portland (4 hour drive) for a con and probably spending another 4 hours there and 4 hours on the way back. No one will be here for Broly like to change food out or pick up poop (leaving at 8am). I was thinking of leaving a lot of food in there and hope he poops on paper towels because like I said no one will be here to look after him for at least 16-18 hours. The lake was a 6 hour trip so of course he was fine (for me it was 6 hours). This time Broly will be at home alone with no one to get rid of his poop and maybe a food refill. Well he may or may not poop. If he does go, he's pretty much stuck with it till I arrive home. I also don't want him hungry either. I may be home by his bedtime to turn lignts off and pick up what he left behind. It's a family event and since I live with my parents they want everyone to go no one left behind. Is it bad if UVB is on a bit later than usual (maybe like an hour or two later)? We should be home 9 or 10 I don't know the plan really. My mom only said one day event. I need a timer but hadn't found one yet.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I need to show more pictures but with a lot going on I can't exactly do that for you guys. My uncle's birthday party is tomorrow and hes coming over even though his birthday is Monday the 7th but since it's Labor Day hes not going to leave his house.

Broly is about 16 3/4" and 8 inch marks (Idk what you call the lines in between the number and after the half mark on the tape measurer) till he hits 17 in. Hes getting fat pads behind his front legs they're tiny right now but noticable. Just in case anyone forgot his age he is 8-9 months old now.

Today my mother and sister getting crickets today for me and they saw the store owners dragon hes 2 years old and in a 10gal hes fat (round not badly fat) and my boy is longer than his dragon. My mom and sister not very knowledgeable about dragons didn't say anything other than Broly is longer in length than his. My sister told me his dragon is shorter than mine. My boy is only months old and the man's dragon is a full grown adult. They weren't sure if hes selling him or hes only there with the owner. They dont know his home life either..but hopefully it's not the 10 gal he lives in at home because if it is, he's severly stunted. I would totally take this guy home and get him up in length if only his problem is the tiny tank we're not sure what it is. My mom and sister didn't pry into why his dragon is small in length. I was not there so I couldn't tell you guys what they saw. I'm just telling you what I was told. I know I write a lot so probably none of you guys read this it's too long or whatever. Just lots of crap on my mind.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey all,

I saw Broly black beard as I was drawing he was in his tank at the time. I took him out and he seemed fine after that.
He then wanted back in his tank and now he tucked himself under the log (as he usually does) and asleep. He usually doesnt black beard unless outside and someone comes up the deck stairs so I was a bit concerned if he was becoming stressed or not feeling well. He seems better so whew..I guess something I didn't see was upsetting him. He's ready for bed so I can't pick him up anymore or he'll stay up and plus he's already comfortable so I would feel bad about moving him. He's entering teen stage it seems he's got that reckless behavior that young Vash used to act. I like to call this stage "I'm born to another family" syndrome. Bites and black beards at me like he doesn't know me. This will be a rough stage in his life right now and will still treat him nicely. Vash did the same stuff as a young boy then he became sweet after this stage. I will just get through it like a mother would with her teen kids.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Broly is 217g now and still gaining. So my day has been full of cleaning and creepy pasta stories...there is no horror movies on so this is next best thing. Some creep me out so bad that there is trouble falling asleep and that is my fault for my overactive imagination and see images in my head as I read and yet I see nothing but reading words my brain has the image of what it may look like if it were on TV. I cleaned out my cricket and roach bins as well as the tiny keeper I keep a certain amount in. Next weekend I leave for Portland...leaving Broly till 10pm on his own without anyone here to pick up poop or turn lights off at 8pm. He'll have his food and I am concerned (since I can't find a two sided timer) he will be stressed with his lights on while trying to sleep and stuck with the smelly object in his cage and possibly smear it everywhere. He likes to go to bed at 8 not 10. A bath at 10 will make it worse because he really wants to go to bed but I won't let him sleep with poop on him what kind of mom will I be if I did that? Anyway, besides what Im tryin to fix before next weekend, Broly is doing fine and pretty close to the 17" mark. He did have unformed (not exactly runny) poop today...too much hydration maybe it's been a long time since he's had unformed poop anyway.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom