Books,Books,Books........

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
Zip":l502ygqi said:
maytes":l502ygqi said:
A lot of advice is well meaning,but mostly wrong in most cases.I rely on expert advice mostly through research,papers,books....

May I point out that anyone can publish a book and refer to themselves as experts? What exactlly qualifies someone as an expert? There are tons of people on here who have years of experience in raising and successfuly breeding Bearded Dragons, some probably have even more experience then these so called experts you keep talking about, the only difference between the "experts" and the people on here, is that the people on here actually care about the well being on the animal instead of just writing down whatever they think people want to hear to try to intice them to buy their books.

I'd like to add, too, as someone in the publishing industry a lot of times the authors chosen to write books (or books accepted for publication if multiple authors submit books) rely more on platform and visibility. I am speaking of larger, commercial publishers like Bow Tie, or Barron's here, mostly. Depending on the publisher, and it's intended market the information may be "smoothed over" (for example, a publisher aiming at the pet store market may say, "Don't make them sound too difficult to keep.") And, some of the books may be simply what we in the industry call "work for hire." Which is where there are "in house" authors who are paid $X amount of dollars to write a book on any given topic, which could be nonfiction, or it could be series fiction books like some popular tv-tie in books or YA series.

Obviously finding a book, such as the one by the Advanced Vivarium Systems author is incredibly helpful to the novice keeper. And it's awesome that the author was able to find a platform, or create his own, in which to publish the information. (If it's the title I'm thinking of without going to the living room, as someone in the industry, I loved the synergy the different parties/publishing aka, the logos on the back of the book, brought to the project.)

:study:

(Edited to fix typos, :lol: )

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Philippe de Vosjoli was an exellent source for general herp care in his time that much is true but here is where the flaw in the theory lies when referring to him as a beardie expert.Actually he is not, he is a herpatoligist which means his specialty is general reptile care not in any specific species.He has written general info books on all species starting from hermit crabs to chameleons.His book is a good start but it isnt the bible,quite far from it.
I also would like to clear something about publication dates,they are semi meaningless.You need to know the original run date because a publishing date simply means when that book was last rerun no when it was actually written.I have actual compared my original to that of the latest run and very little,short of an "and" her and an "if" there has been update.The guts of the book remain the same,they have not caught up with modern day herp care yet.Hopefully in time they will but with herpitalogy we are learning new things on a daily basis so a book published yesterday can be worth as much as a the toilet paper in my bathroom tomorrow.
Personally I take more stock in the everyday education of the hobbyist more then anything else.

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
vickson420":2zusrhwd said:
The guts of the book remain the same,they have not caught up with modern day herp care yet.Hopefully in time they will but with herpitalogy we are learning new things on a daily basis so a book published yesterday can be worth as much as a the toilet paper in my bathroom tomorrow.
Personally I take more stock in the everyday education of the hobbyist more then anything else.

Oh, I totally agree. One hundred and a bazillion percent. And in fact, I remember noting in one of my reviews that the info may have been good info five years ago or so. I've been dealing with parrots for over a decade, and it's amazing what we've learned. And we've still only scratched the surface. I'm sure it's much the same with reptiles.

Heck, even with cats and dogs, the so-called "commercial foods" may not be all that they are cracked up to be, which is why my philosophy with my parrot, and my beardie, is that variety is the best thing. Lots of different veggies. Try to rotate feeders, or at least offer different ones every now and then. I make special "cook and serve" mixes for my parrot, and bake a batch of "birdy bread" every now and then. The more the merrier! If we are still learning about the nutritional requirements of animals that have been domesticated for thousands of years, then we sure have a long way to go for our own little scaly buddies. :D (But that's my personal peeve and I'll adroitly step around that soapbox. :wink: )

FJM

Hatchling Member
I started with a book similar to maytes' but even in my novice-ness (is that a word?) I realized very early that the book was garbage. I'd read a few things in it that were obviously not right and knew i couldn't trust anything else in it. I've been listening (lurking..haha) to all the advice and experience that the members on here have shared and have raised a very healthy beardie (imho).

In my opinion the knowledge base on this site from experienced owners is priceless. I would never give it up for a book.

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
kimbasmom":mgs5wof7 said:
articwolfgirl":mgs5wof7 said:
Id say ask em if u can bring him a treat? Prepare a small salad of mixed veggies - colllard and such- and then bring a few live crickets and see if he likes that better?

That's exactly what I'm thinking about doing. :wink:

cool let me know how it goes :)

And whats the name of the book tom wrote Id like to read that hes advice has allways been good.

maytes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Agreed some books are a waste,most on this topic are very good!The Manual is the best I have seen and very practical too. Experience counts,but some of my expert reptile retailers are with reptiles/dragons up to 12 or more hours daily and breed beardies. I value their advice too.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
maytes":3i9hvdb7 said:
Agreed some books are a waste,most on this topic are very good!The Manual is the best I have seen and very practical too. Experience counts,but some of my expert reptile retailers are with reptiles/dragons up to 12 or more hours daily and breed beardies. I value their advice too.
Ok Maytes then tell me exactly what it is your "experts" say that is wonderful and what scientific evolution they used to determine this as a sound theory.I am always up for learining so go ahead teach me a thing or two.What is it I don't know?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Nothing easy,this LADY just wants to know what is it that you think is so great,thats all. I figure since you created an entire topic you would like to embelish on why you think these books are so great.Maybe you are right,maybe you have a few insights that may change out opinions so here you go,the floor is yours....

maytes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My opinion was echoed by others that The Manual is a good book.Read posts and the one review about it. My premise was I wanted other good books posted too. I am waiting for your answers.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok here is my opinion,there aren't any. They are all outdated and cannot keeo up with the constant evolution of herp care.That is the great thing about forums,the experiences and data are up to date but remember now, this is give and take.If you want to be part of the forum you need to give as well so back to my original question,What exactly is it that YOU like about the book.I have read what others stated I want to know what YOUR reasoning is as to why you hold so much stock in them.As I said maybe you have an insight I do not.I am open minded so once again dear I say teach me....

maytes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
you are being rude!!!! I asked for recommendations re other BD books,not a lecture or why I like the book-read the review about it.Grow up lad....

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
maytes":gqns3byu said:
you are being rude!!!! I asked for recommendations re other BD books,not a lecture or why I like the book-read the review about it.Grow up lad....
Ok well I believe you asked for a discussion.I am not at all being rude I am simply trying to see your side of things.If you do not however like the direction this thread is going or no longer would like to discuss the topic I would be happy to lock the thread for you, just let me know and I will be sure to do as you would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Appgo88link
Top Bottom