Hi - newbie here ...

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Thank you, thank you --- you've all given me a little confidence ... I'm a little afraid to literally hand feed him (I've been using tongs) because I don't want to be bitten
Just a little suggestion:
Being bitten while feeding isn't happen so easily as they grab the insects using their tongue (somewhat like how a chameleon does it). But you can also just put the insects on your palm. Generally, putting food on the palm instead of between index finger and thumb is recommended when in doubt if a pet/ animal might bite b accident.

My dragon (Taco) was also very skittish at the beginning. When I just entered the room, he was sliding around his branch so he was harder to spot...
It took me months until I could touch him; I started with: Opening the enclosure barely; opening it more often and then touching random things; then touching things close to him; then touching him once, just for a second, after feeding. Now I can touch him everywhere on his body (which I find important in case I would have to check anything). With my husband, he was a bit more skittish, likely because my husband is taller than me and did interact a bit less with Taco in the beginning. Now, it's about the same.

And I agree on what Chris mentioned. This is the normal behavior of an animal that's alert. I also would never want Taco behaving like a "toy", and it shouldn't be like this, especially if there is a chance of being out in the public with him, having visitors, or somebody else might have to take care of him.

k8s

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blue Dragao
his UVB is a long tube. Brand and bulb please --- where in the tank is it -- I would get the surface basking temp down to 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
His UVB is a reptisun hood with a T10 HO bulb and I do now use a digital probe thermometer.

k8s

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blue Dragao
Just a little suggestion:
Being bitten while feeding isn't happen so easily as they grab the insects using their tongue (somewhat like how a chameleon does it). But you can also just put the insects on your palm. Generally, putting food on the palm instead of between index finger and thumb is recommended when in doubt if a pet/ animal might bite b accident.

My dragon (Taco) was also very skittish at the beginning. When I just entered the room, he was sliding around his branch so he was harder to spot...
It took me months until I could touch him; I started with: Opening the enclosure barely; opening it more often and then touching random things; then touching things close to him; then touching him once, just for a second, after feeding. Now I can touch him everywhere on his body (which I find important in case I would have to check anything). With my husband, he was a bit more skittish, likely because my husband is taller than me and did interact a bit less with Taco in the beginning. Now, it's about the same.

And I agree on what Chris mentioned. This is the normal behavior of an animal that's alert. I also would never want Taco behaving like a "toy", and it shouldn't be like this, especially if there is a chance of being out in the public with him, having visitors, or somebody else might have to take care of him.
Using my palm is a great idea - thank you ... although I will have to figure out how to slow down some of his food!!

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@k8s
What are you feeding? I recognized dubias just stay on the tip of my extended finger - hadn't thought that.
With worms, when I just put about 10 on my palm he's so quick in eating them that usually nothing crawls away.

k8s

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blue Dragao
@k8s
What are you feeding? I recognized dubias just stay on the tip of my extended finger - hadn't thought that.
With worms, when I just put about 10 on my palm he's so quick in eating them that usually nothing crawls away.
That's brilliant ... I will be giving this all a try ... thank you ...

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
You can also try waxworms. They are sooooo slow, they won't escape at all and they are like bearded dragon candy :)
Just don't overdo it with those or your boy might not want to eat anything else anymore

k8s

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blue Dragao
You can also try waxworms. They are sooooo slow, they won't escape at all and they are like bearded dragon candy :)
Just don't overdo it with those or your boy might not want to eat anything else anymore
Yikes - that;s already a worry - he's not at all keen on his salad ... just wants live food ,..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom