Best MVB to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjvolk2

The best one is the megaray but Ive heard the T rex mvb is also very good and is about ten dollars cheaper.

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
Type MVB into the search box in the upper right corner of the site. You will get all the info and how to prevent the issues. Please use the search feature before making duplicates of other posts.

We've used all three mvb's you mention. We believe that the MegaR & T-Rex are superior bulbs, though we've received comparable output levels from our SolarGlos (per our Solarmeter). Here's the main difference, in our opinion.

Megas and Rexs output the most UVB - bar none and substantial heat levels (you must be careful with all MVBs, especially the PowerSun which produces mixed reviews). The SolarGlo, though putting out acceptable levels of UVB, seems to be a bit more prone to 'blowing out'. In the last 1.5 years, we've never replaced our Mega or Rex due to blow out - we've replaced 4 SolarGlos (out of 12). :angry5:

Now, if you look at the cost - Megas and Rexs are $50 shipped, online. SolarGlos are about $35 shipped, online (but we actually were buying them for $25.99 at the local pet store).

That all being said - you get what you pay for. The cheaper price of the SolarGlo is enticing but in the end, you will likely replace it more often than a Mega or Rex, evening out the cost a bit.

In the end, we switched to all Megas, in the enclosures that run mvbs and ReptiSun 10.0s in our CritterCondos. Hope this helps a bit.

Anthony

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I agree with Anthony. Right now I am half T Rex and half Solar Glo because they have been out of the Mega Rays everytime I need them. LLL has 3 for specials on the T Rex every once in a while and come from CA so if I need one fast I get a Solar Glo from herpsupplies.com or reptilesupply.com with the cheapest prices. They both use Priority mail so you can get one shipped for about $30 or two of them for just over $50. I haven't had one blow out yet, just had problems with the contacts wearing out. Cheryl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom