Basking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

acdcman75

Molly Sits under her basking spot for hours on end but doesn't open her mouth, and if I move it closer she moves around the viv... is this normal? I thought they always open their mouth to bask??

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
The only time they open their mouth while basking is when they're trying to regulate their temp. It's called gaping.

What are you using to measure your temps with?

acdcman75

Original Poster
digital thermometers, it stays around 100-105 she sits and squints her eyes like she is saying oooo yeaah

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Digital probe thermometers I assume? How long do you leave the probe on the basking spot? (Should be no less than 20 minutes for an accurate reading.)

What type of UVB do you have? Also, how old is Molly?

acdcman75

Original Poster
reptisun 10 tube about 6-8 inches from her head and we got her at 18 Months, sooo I think 21-22 months? she is just now getting to the point where she doesnt like crickets and LOVES collard greens, butter worms, and roaches

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
The basking light is how far away from her? And is it a digital probe thermometer that you're using to take the temps.

acdcman75

Original Poster
digital probe humidity sensor from walmart, it has two temp readers... and the basking is a foot away

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Alright...Then nothing to worry about from what you've told me. If she's not gaping, then the temps are just right. :)

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
(No offense meant as I say the same thing about my dragon) Or they're just stubbornly stupid. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom