baby and greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

xavice

I have a baby that is about 3-4 months old, when should I be expecting him to start eating greens? He's avoiding them like the plague when I try giving them to him.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
I wish I could tell you.. Our "baby" is 7 - 8 months now and still avoiding greens whenever possible. I've resorted to the "moving salad" where I place small bits of greens over her phoenix worms, and she gets a few that way (although she tends to give me the stink eye whenever she happens to down one unwittingly :x ). Other than that, I stuff the crickets full of greens, continue to offer them to beardie regularly, and wait.

Honestly, it really depends on the beardie. Many, when younger are just very focused on growing i.e., protein only please and LOTS of it! :mrgreen: Our girl got a late start on the growth process (due to a poor UVB light we'd been using), and while she is 7-8 months technically, she is only about 3-4 months in "adjusted" age. Some beardies take to veggies right off, other take awhile to develop a taste for them. Keep offering a variety of greens, veggies and fruit and hang in there.

Here is a link to a wonderfully compiled list of beardie foods (do's and don'ts), that may be helpful: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.htm

The best,
Em

xavice

Original Poster
Yeah I minced up some greens and kind of tricked him into eating them too. I know EXACTLY what you mean by the stink eye, he was pissed, didn't trust me again for awhile. Of course once he started trusting what I was feeding him I did it again, but then he stopped eating for an hour or so.

I was wondering if someone could give me a guesstimate of size to age for beardies, I know the morph and just beardies in general grow at different rates but i'm just curious because mine was diagnosed with AV and had a huge loss in appetite. Just in the past 2 weeks or so he's become a pig so I was curious if he growth was stunted any.

Laura123

Hatchling Member
My Drake was about 4 month when he finally started to eat his greens. But I must say I usually have to hand feed them to him. Some times I can lead him to the plate and he wil it a few bites. He only eats a very small amount each day.... like 4 or 5 bites.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
xavice":dd866 said:
Embee":dd866 said:
Here is a link to a reputable growth chart :mrgreen:

http://www.dachiu.com/beardeddragoncare/growthcharts.html

The best,
Em

Well going off of this chart it doesn't make much sense. When I received my dragon he was about 4.5"-5", called up the company I ordered him from (lllreptile.com) and they said he was probably about 3months old. Is it just me or does that seem really off?

Yes, this seems very "off." :| Our dragon was the same size when we bought her, and she was approximately 4-6 weeks old. I'm sorry you were given some faulty information, but sad to say, even with some breeders, it's not an uncommon occurance. *sigh* OTOH, if you happen to have a beardie who is 3-4 months old and only 4.5 - 5 inches, then something was very off with their husbandry. Yikes. :oops:

Hope that helps!

The best,
Em

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
um my dragons love kale, and it's cheap so thats nice, they have eaten their greens pretty much since i got them though. spike was about 6 in long and cinder was 18 weeks old and about 10-12 in. i also feed them frozen mixed veggies (they are adults now)

xavice

Original Poster
VEGASLIZARD":d450a said:
What greens are you feeding your dragon?

I've tried feeding him collards, mustards, kale, carrots, smashed berries, celery, celery leaves, but yesterday I had some success with Hibiscus flowers.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
sounds like you are doing a good job of trying out different things. Just go by the beautiful dragons list and try everything until you find what he likes best. :D It's basically comes down to trial and error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom