Haze Doesn't Like Greens Nor Mealworms?

Dot4Dot7Dot

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haze/Yelnats (~2-3mo old)
Hello there!
I've owned Haze for nearly a week now. I've noticed that she'll eat crickets like I do with chocolate (really quickly), but she'll leave her mealworms and greens to pretty much collect dust. I've guesstimated that she is about 2-3 months old based off her length and I was wondering with this is normal for a baby beardie?
I'm a first time bearded dragon owner, and when I helped friends feed theirs, both were already adults.
I am glad that she is eating, when I got her she was tiny and her belly looked completely flat, now she looks like she eats like royalty and has a bigger belly and is a lot more active.
The pictures that i've included:
The ones of Haze in her tank are from when I first got her
The ones of Haze on the fluffy blue pillow were taken today

Attachments

• 72851549774__0D830994-038B-4C53-87DE-6006F19666C2.jpeg
    72851549774__0D830994-038B-4C53-87DE-6006F19666C2.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 27

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello there!
I've owned Haze for nearly a week now. I've noticed that she'll eat crickets like I do with chocolate (really quickly), but she'll leave her mealworms and greens to pretty much collect dust. I've guesstimated that she is about 2-3 months old based off her length and I was wondering with this is normal for a baby beardie?
I'm a first time bearded dragon owner, and when I helped friends feed theirs, both were already adults.
I am glad that she is eating, when I got her she was tiny and her belly looked completely flat, now she looks like she eats like royalty and has a bigger belly and is a lot more active.
Haze needs salads everyday - we need to lure her to the salad bowl- order some bsfl www.symtonbsf.com drop them in the bowl in front of her feed like 20-25 if she likes them she will gobble them down quickly and they will come out undigested - so smaller amounts will eliminate that issue- they are a great staple for babies- are you dusting the crickets w/ calcium D 3 and I would recommend feeding vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding-- I would not feed the mealworms- they are harsh on babies stomachs and can cause impaction

Dot4Dot7Dot

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haze needs salads everyday - we need to lure her to the salad bowl- order some bsfl www.symtonbsf.com drop them in the bowl in front of her feed like 20-25 if she likes them she will gobble them down quickly and they will come out undigested - so smaller amounts will eliminate that issue- they are a great staple for babies- are you dusting the crickets w/ calcium D 3 and I would recommend feeding vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding-- I would not feed the mealworms- they are harsh on babies stomachs and can cause impaction
Thank you for the link for the bsfl. I'll definitly order some right away! Do you have any reccomendations on how to lure her to the salad bowl?
As for the calcium, I dust the crickets in Repti Calcium with Vitamin D3 by ZooMed. I got a 3oz container from PetSmart the day I got her.
I'll keep that in mind for the mealworms. I was told to store the mealworms in the fridge to keep them from turning into beetles, should I just dispose of them until she gets older?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you for the link for the bsfl. I'll definitly order some right away! Do you have any reccomendations on how to lure her to the salad bowl?
As for the calcium, I dust the crickets in Repti Calcium with Vitamin D3 by ZooMed. I got a 3oz container from PetSmart the day I got her.
I'll keep that in mind for the mealworms. I was told to store the mealworms in the fridge to keep them from turning into beetles, should I just dispose of them until she gets older?
I would if shes not eating them she may not like them I have two dragons that wont eat meal worms- use the BSFL to lure her to the salad bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
drop the BSFL into the bowl right in front her - use them to hand feed and hand tame her as well -- dust the crickets ONCE per feeding 5 x per week - make sure you have a good UVB coils are NO good- if you need help w/ that please ask

Dot4Dot7Dot

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I would if shes not eating them she may not like them I have two dragons that wont eat meal worms- use the BSFL to lure her to the salad bowl Amazon.com
drop the BSFL into the bowl right in front her - use them to hand feed and hand tame her as well -- dust the crickets ONCE per feeding 5 x per week - make sure you have a good UVB coils are NO good- if you need help w/ that please ask
Will do! I just ordered the bsfl and Im about run to the store to pick up the salad. Is there any recommendations for what to get for her salads?

Thank you so much for the advice!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hello there!
She is a very pretty g-stripe (genetic stripe). Those were the rage for a little bit, but I haven't been seeing them much lately.

Dot4Dot7Dot

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She is a very pretty g-stripe (genetic stripe). Those were the rage for a little bit, but I haven't been seeing them much lately.
Thank you! She is really pretty and her pattern is why I named her Haze :) she was the only one at PetSmart so I feel really lucky to have her!

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Just a heads up, I don't know if this was everyone's experience, but at that age and size you will likely throw away more greens than she will eat. It's okay to just feed one type at a time until it's gone. I alternate between mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, and kale, but if I can get my hands on dandelion greens, those are Thor's faves.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom