arcadia uvb tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
i see that these tubes are being sold at light your reptiles.com... my question, has anyone used them so far here in the states? and secondly will they fit a standard fixture like the 24 " reptisun 10.0 i have??

thanks

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Arcadia's are very nice bulbs. The T-8 variety will fit all standard T-8 fixtures....the same as your Reptisun 10.0. However Arcadia also offers a high output T-5 bulb, and that requires a special fixture. I would recommend sticking with the standard T-8 bulb, unless you own a UV meter or have experience with high output UV setups; the T-5's just have too much output for me to recommend them to your standard hobbyist.

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok neat, and do these have to be replaced every 6 months such as the reptisuns? or can these be used longer?

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
If you don't own a UV meter, 6 months to err on the side of caution. However if you own a UV meter, you'll find your usage intervals for quality tubes like Reptisuns and Arcadia's easily extend up to a year or more. But without a meter, 6 months tops....for a whole slew of various reasons.

cybercat

I suggest you talk with Todd at Light your reptiles. I just got mine in fantasic packaging and fast service. I bought fixture with bulb as it requres the T5 fixture. The bulb is the thinnest I have seen. But it works great.

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't want to mess around with a t5 that requires a separate fixture. The t8 will work in my fixture and there is more UVB 12% as oppose to reptisun

MissT

BD.org Addict
BadCon":1j4h618a said:
Arcadia's are very nice bulbs. The T-8 variety will fit all standard T-8 fixtures....the same as your Reptisun 10.0. However Arcadia also offers a high output T-5 bulb, and that requires a special fixture. I would recommend sticking with the standard T-8 bulb, unless you own a UV meter or have experience with high output UV setups; the T-5's just have too much output for me to recommend them to your standard hobbyist.

BadCon, i have been researching these a lot, since im using one for my little boy with MBD - the difference in him is amazing. However, as you quite rightly said, the decision to get one should not be made without a lot of research into how it is set up. I have talked to Frances A LOT - before purchase, during set up and even follow up emails during its actual usage. Even arcadia's recommendations on this bulb would provide EXTREME levels of UVB that could prove detrimental to the health of your dragon.

Personally, unless you have a specific need for one of these bulbs, I say stick with the standard T8's :) I use T8's in my other vivs - I might move to T5's eventually but right now, I dont need to.

For anyone who is considering using these bulbs I suggest you find and read the threads on them to understand fully, how to set it up. Without a UV meter, this bulb should not be placed any closer than 10 inches and, if it spans the length of the viv then you must definitely NOT use a reflector. A reflector is fine at 12 inches, IF and only IF you are creating a 'sunbeam' which would be a small area of UV on the basking side of the viv. There is a lot more info on the threads in enclosures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom