Abnormal Poop

Buzz24

hello. so i recently took my beardie to the vet because he’s been having green mushy poop. and they tested him for parasites and he came back negative. i’m at a loss for what the issue may be. any ideas?

Buzz24

Original Poster
hello. so i recently took my beardie to the vet because he’s been having green mushy poop. and they tested him for parasites and he came back negative. i’m at a loss for what the issue may be. any ideas?
also he’s still eating fine. his temps are good and the lights are right ones. his energy is still up. he isn’t black bearding at all. he eats super worms and collard greens and mustard greens and dandelion greens

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Green poo is caused by eating a lot of greens, the mushiness is probably from over hydration. Are you feeding him squash, lettuce, cucumbers or anything else watery?

If you are, cut back for a bit and it will go back to normal. Straight greens will have to do for the time being. Once you notice it go back to normal, you can reintroduce it.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
no i don’t give him those. it’s only so often he gets cucumber. i don’t know if he needs more fiber
Ok, then let’s take a look at the other possible causes. First of all, what is his basking temps and how are you reading them? Ideally it should sit at about 107.6 degrees but 100-110 should work as well.

If you are measuring temps with an IR temp gun or a stick-on, replace it asap with a digital probe thermometer. It gives the most accurate readings. Stay away from the brand Thrive at all costs, they SUCK.

What is your source of UVB and where is it placed? Is your mesh fine or thick? Is it a 39w or a 24w? These will all go into deciding where it will be placed. If you have a Thrive enclosure the UVB needs to be underneath.

Good luck 👍

Buzz24

Original Poster
the temps are measuring 100-105 on the hot side and as low as 75 on cool side. his UVB is the one that is always recommended on here so it’s the good light and i replaced the bulb not too long ago so i don’t think it’s dying. it’s placed on top of the zoomed tank. i had to remove the uvb from being inside the tank instead of on top cuz my beardie is a crazy boy who wanted to keep jumping at it and holding onto it

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
the temps are measuring 100-105 on the hot side and as low as 75 on cool side. his UVB is the one that is always recommended on here so it’s the good light and i replaced the bulb not too long ago so i don’t think it’s dying. it’s placed on top of the zoomed tank. i had to remove the uvb from being inside the tank instead of on top cuz my beardie is a crazy boy who wanted to keep jumping at it and holding onto it
Ok, but what wattage is it? If it is a 24watt or lower then it needs to be placed inside the tank, if it’s a 39watt or higher it needs to be placed above the mesh.

Could you post a picture of the material in the top of the enclosure? Thick meshes can end up blocking upwards to 60% of UVB whereas fine meshes only block up to 30%.

I looked through your media, in the poop pics I can see blood. Has this been going on for a while? Is he still passing blood when he relieves himself? That isn’t good.

Also, next time you reply could you do so be typing it in after pressing the reply button? That way it will notify me and I can reply faster, thanks.

Last edited:

Buzz24

Original Poster
Ok, but what wattage is it? If it is a 24watt or lower then it needs to be placed inside the tank, if it’s a 39watt or higher it needs to be placed above the mesh.

Could you post a picture of the material in the top of the enclosure? Thick meshes can end up blocking upwards to 60% of UVB whereas fine meshes only block up to 30%.

I looked through your media, in the poop pics I can see blood. Has this been going on for a while? Is he still passing blood when he relieves himself? That isn’t good.

Also, next time you reply could you do so be typing it in after pressing the reply button? That way it will notify me and I can reply faster, thanks.
Thrive Reptile Habitat Screen Cover | reptile Habitat Accessories | PetSmart tank cover
the uvb is 24 watt. those pics were from my previous beardie that passed away from an aneurysm. this is my new bearded dragon and i haven’t posted pics of his poop but there’s definitely no blood.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Thrive Reptile Habitat Screen Cover | reptile Habitat Accessories | PetSmart tank cover
the uvb is 24 watt. those pics were from my previous beardie that passed away from an aneurysm. this is my new bearded dragon and i haven’t posted pics of his poop but there’s definitely no blood.
Ok, that’s a huge relief! Your mesh looks good, if you are going to keep it above the mesh upgrade to a 39watt or strap the bulb inside, you can use zip ties.

If it is inside the enclosure, you do not need a hood or reflector. That will make it much less bulky and lower the odds of your dragon jumping at it, a 24w should be unobstructed.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I believe the wattage is based on the length of the bulb. At least it is for the Arcadia's, which is what I use. The 22" bulb is a 24W, the 34" bulb is a 36W, and the 46" bulb is a 54W. This holds true for both the 12% and 14% bulbs. I have the 12% 36W and it is inside my tank. All fixtures should have a reflector. It is what focuses the UVB downward toward your dragon instead of bouncing all around the enclosure. Whether or not the bulbs are unobstructed is based on the strength (percentage or T8 vs T5) of the bulb and what the top of your enclosure is.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I believe the wattage is based on the length of the bulb. At least it is for the Arcadia's, which is what I use. The 22" bulb is a 24W, the 34" bulb is a 36W, and the 46" bulb is a 54W. This holds true for both the 12% and 14% bulbs. I have the 12% 36W and it is inside my tank.
Ah, well, at least that’s what I’ve been told. I’m no expert so I could fully be wrong about that. My bulb is by Arcadia and there were optional wattages for the same size, I’m not too sure. I have a 14% 39w above the mesh.

Buzz24

Original Poster
Ah, well, at least that’s what I’ve been told. I’m no expert so I could fully be wrong about that. My bulb is by Arcadia and there were optional wattages for the same size, I’m not too sure. I have a 14% 39w above the mesh.
i have the zoo med reptisun 10.0 T5 24 watt but i don’t have the cover over the bulb. just the hood so the cover doesn’t block out the entire output

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
i have the zoo med reptisun 10.0 T5 24 watt but i don’t have the cover over the bulb. just the hood so the cover doesn’t block out the entire output
Ok… if it hasn’t posed issues in the past you may as well keep it as it is, that aside I’m not quite sure what could have caused the diarrhea. Someone else might be able to give you a more detailed answer.

@Drache613
@AHBD
@xp29

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
here are some screen shots from the Arcadia website. down toward the bottom of the shots, you can see the wattage and the length of the bulb. those numbers are the same for both the 12% and 14%. i've got the 12% and inside because i have a 4x2x2 enclosure with a solid top. i believe reptisun 10.0 T5 24w is the same as the 22" 12% bulb. @KarrieRee can verify that for sure.

12.JPG
14.JPG

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
if by cover you are referring to a clear piece of plastic that comes on the fixture and would be between the bulb and your dragon, then yes, that should be taken off. the reflector is shiny, kind of like tin foil, and would be between the bulb and the very top of the hood. unless i'm misunderstanding something, i think your UVB is fine as far as the bulb goes. how tall is your enclosure and what is the distance from the bulb to your basking spot?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom