18 Year old Beardie Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am just wondering if he made it through the night? Did you keep him out with you also?
Yes, if he is still with you this morning, try to do a vet visit just to see if he has an infection perhaps & is otherwise healthy. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
This is very heartbreaking :( 18 years is a very long time, I can't imagine how hard this is for you. He obviously had a very good life to have lived for so long. Passing unfortunately can be painful but I know he's finding comfort in your accompaniment. Just have peace knowing that your care is what gave him a full life.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
diamc":3dtvxkf5 said:
How is he doing this morning? I didn't realize that he wasn't gaping almost continually, that he only did it after being on his back. So there is the possibility that he has an upper respiratory infection with what you're describing now. I hope he didn't end up on his back again and that you would be able to get him seen by a vet right away. Do you have a herp vet that you regularly use?

The T5's are great bulbs, is that what you have been using for him for the past few years? Is it sitting on top of the screen?

Please update us when you can.
Woke up this morning with him on his back again!!! :( yes I've been using those bulbs for quite some time now for all of my beardies. It's on a screen top. His colors are really dark this morning even darker then last night. I actually have a local kitty clinic that specializes in cats but also does bearded dragons. Just called them and they said they could get me in since its an emergency. I'll let you know how it goes. He's alive but kinda gasping for air again

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, that"s awful that he was on his back again, poor thing. Do you suppose he tries to walk around and then loses his balance and doesn't have the strength to right himself? Or is their possibly something uneven in his tank that he has trouble maneuvering around?

That's good that they agreed to see him. Hope this can be figured out so that he can start doing better. Thinking of both of you.

It's SO hard to go through something like this and it makes you feel so helpless. :( If things didn't go well, we are here if you feel like talking.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry you found him on his back again this morning! Let us know how things went at the vets. I am happy that you could get him in to see them so quickly!
I was wondering the same thing, if his balance was off? The Reptisun 10 T5 bulbs are great & should last a good time before having to replace them.
I hope he is doing better today.

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Hello everyone just an update on him today.

After the vet visit the vet did say his strength wasn't looking as good as the last time he was there. (about a year ago). They said he has a case of arthoritis. He isn't using his back legs to stand up and is only using his front legs. He did turn out to have a respiratory infection and the vet gave me some baytril to give him to hopefully get rid of it, and the vet told me to up his temps by about 5 degrees. After giving him the medicine and adjusting his temps he's seeming to keep his eyes open more but his beard is still black :(. He also ate about 5 large roaches today and some collard greens so it seems hes feeling a bit better!! I want to thank you all so much that pointed out that it could be an RI. I thought I was going to lose him that night and you won't believe how thrilled I was when I woke up to him being wide awake next to me on my bed. I will keep posting updates but just want to double check that the vet is correct that I should up his temps? He's opening his mouth now but I would guess that's because it's a little warmer now then he's used to. I made sure it's only upped by about 5 degrees, 6 to be exact.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow that's encouraging! Hopefully he can kick the RI. Keeping the temps up a bit will help reduce the stress on his immune system so I agree that it's a good idea.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had noticed that you had checked in earlier and I thought the worst when you didn't post anything and was worried about how you were doing. What a relief! So glad the vet saw him. Arthritis at his age is certainly understandable. Did the vet prescibe an anti-inflmmatory or mention something called Serrapeptase? If he feels he is in pain, you might want to mention it to him, it has no known side effects and I would be glad to give you the link to where you can get it. In fact, Drache613 (Tracie) sells it on her website. I have used it in the past with good results, just a thought.

Is his tank completely flat so that he can't stumble or climb anything to help prevent him from flipping? Would be good to have the tank about 80 overnight to help him get over the URI quicker too.

What did the vet recommend for temps? Imagine you're using a temp gun or probe thermometer?

It's great that he ate today considering all he has been through. If I could make a suggestion, antibiotics can destroy the good gut flora causing them to lose their appetite so gib=ving a probiotic daily and for 2 wks after finishing the med makes a big difference. You could give Benebac gel (for reptles and birds), SOY yogurt, Acidoplilis, etc. Also, if he doesn't prefer the roaches at any time, you could offer babyfood squash (well liked), green beans or peas with a little chicken or turkey babyfood mixed in and can even add a small pinch of calcium to it. Put drops on his nose for him to lick off.

Thanks so much for the update, hope tomorrow is a better day for both of you. Must have been a good sight seeing him wide awake laying next to you this morning, how sweet.

We're all pulling for him. What is your buddies name?

CodyH3012

Original Poster
diamc":m7wswit2 said:
I had noticed that you had checked in earlier and I thought the worst when you didn't post anything and was worried about how you were doing. What a relief! So glad the vet saw him. Arthritis at his age is certainly understandable. Did the vet prescibe an anti-inflammatory or mention something called Serrapeptase? If he feels he is in pain, you might want to mention it to him, it has no known side effects and I would be glad to give you the link to where you can get it. In fact, Drache613 (Tracie) sells it on her website. I have used it in the past with good results, just a thought.

Is his tank completely flat so that he can't stumble or climb anything to help prevent him from flipping? Would be good to have the tank about 80 overnight to help him get over the URI quicker too.

What did the vet recommend for temps? Imagine you're using a temp gun or probe thermometer?

It's great that he ate today considering all he has been through. If I could make a suggestion, antibiotics can destroy the good gut flora causing them to lose their appetite so giving a probiotic daily and for 2 wks after finishing the med makes a big difference. You could give Benebac gel (for reptles and birds), SOY yogurt, Acidoplilis, etc. Also, if he doesn't prefer the roaches at any time, you could offer babyfood squash (well liked), green beans or peas with a little chicken or turkey babyfood mixed in and can even add a small pinch of calcium to it. Put drps on his nose for him to lick off.

Thanks so much for the update, hope tomorrow is a better day for both of you. Must have been a good sight seeing him wide awake laying next to you this morning, how sweet.

We're all pulling for him. What is your buddies name?
Thank you so much for all the info and kind words. I would love a link for that antibiotic. The vet didn't mention anything about a pain reliever now that I think about it I wish they did because it does seem like he has some discomfort :( he has his climbing branches but he loves to just be really lazy and just prefers to sit on his basking log. So far he hasn't fell on his back like he was yesterday he seems to be doing a bit better. Yesterday I found him on his back twice. He was on his back this morning but it was this morning when he was next to me on my bed so I don't think it has anything to do with his cage environment.

He just went to the bathroom and he had diarrea not sure if that has to do with the meds and him not being adjusted to the meds yet or something. I'm using a temp gun to check temps and it's about 108 right now on his basking spot. Is that fine? Used to be 103 just upped it 5 degrees like the vet told me to do. I'll definately raise the temps tonight for him. I would definately love the link to that antibiotic but I'm not sure what dosage I should give him and all that?

His name is Art. A unique name but he was named after my grandfather who passed from lung cancer. I actually got this beardie has a companion to help with the depression I went through after I lost my grandfather. I am to, very relieved that he's showing signs of improvement. Thought I was going to lose him for sure after the shape he was in yesterday.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The serrapeptase is a good idea. In addition to offering it as a liquid supplement you can offer some silk worms if you can get them. They have serrapeptase in their gut. It's an enzyme that is used to help them break their cocoons I believe. 108 may be a bit high. I usually hear about bumping the overnight temps so they are closer in line with the daytime temps (high 70s up to around 80 or so usually) so the change from night to day isn't quite so drastic. Offering a probiotic as suggested is another good idea, especially if the meds start to make him feel a bit upset. Tracie has those on her site too.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Serrapeptase is an anti-inflammatory, not an antibiotic. Up to yoy, but you might want to mention it to the vet. Here's the link showing the products, just scroll down. http://bug-de-lite.com/Products%20Page.html She also carries several different probiotics to help out his stomach. Tracie would send you dosing instructions although there doesn't seem to be any side effects from taking it.

I agree with Cooper that 108 seems a little high for an 18 yr old, did the vet know that you already had it at 103? Make sure he has a cool side about 80 during the day. Also a nighttime temp not over 80 would be best. Antibiotics are very drying and since he has diarrhea, try to offer drinks on his nose often so he doesn't get dehydrated.

Bet Art was a very big help to comfort you when your grandfather passed, thanks for sharing that with us. :love5:

CodyH3012

Original Poster
diamc":otbi2jbb said:
The Serrapeptase is an anti-inflammatory, not an antibiotic. Up to yoy, but you might want to mention it to the vet. Here's the link showing the products, just scroll down. http://bug-de-lite.com/Products%20Page.html She also carries several different probiotics to help out his stomach. Tracie would send you dosing instructions although there doesn't seem to be any side effects from taking it.

I agree with Cooper that 108 seems a little high for an 18 yr old, did the vet know that you already had it at 103? Make sure he has a cool side about 80 during the day. Also a nighttime temp not over 80 would be best. Antibiotics are very drying and since he has diarrhea, try to offer drinks on his nose often so he doesn't get dehydrated.

Bet Art was a very big help to comfort you when your grandfather passed, thanks for sharing that with us. :love5:
Oh I see. So do you think it would overall make him feel better though? The vet told me I should judge the temps by his poop? She said 105-108 would be a good temp. She just mentioned that if his poop still has pieces of bug in it (ew) then the basking spot isn't warm enough. Do you think I should lower them to 105 then? I'll make sure to keep his night time temps to 80. I'm also just going to change his substrate during the night to just the blanket so he's nice and comfy. That blanket has been his favorite ever since he was a baby :lol:

Yes he has been a great companion ever since my grandpa has passed. It's going to be another sad sad time when he passes and it'll be really heartbreaking :( I am very blessed that he's made it this far though. I really haven't had any problems with him aside from a parasite problem a little while ago. That's why this kind of thing is new to me because I've never run into any major problems with Art. He gets a vet checkup every year and I've been going to the same vet for the past 6 years and they're always thrilled to see that he's still alive and well every year I bring him in.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I do feel the serrapeptase would make him feel better. I've used it on and off over the years on 4 different beardies and it really seemed to help them, 2 had walking difficulties. Tracie will probably check in on this thread later. She ships her products very quickly and you should have it in a few days if you decide to get that and possibly a probiotic.

If it was me, I think I would go with 105 as if he gets uncomfortable from the heat, he may have a hard time escaping it. And you don't want it too hot so that he avoids it.

He should be quite comfy on his favorite blanket.

Try to take it one day at a time, work on keeping him comfortable and help him get stronger. It's obvios that he is really trying, what a good guy he is and must care for you a lot too. :) Amazing that he had been healthy for so long, you have given him great care.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
diamc":7dwm2qgo said:
I do feel the serrapeptase would make him feel better. I've used it on and off over the years on 4 different beardies and it really seemed to help them, 2 had walking difficulties. Tracie will probably check in on this thread later. She ships her products very quickly and you should have it in a few days if you decide to get that and possibly a probiotic.

If it was me, I think I would go with 105 as if he gets uncomfortable from the heat, he may have a hard time escaping it. And you don't want it too hot so that he avoids it.

He should be quite comfy on his favorite blanket.

Try to take it one day at a time, work on keeping him comfortable and help him get stronger. It's obvios that he is really trying, what a good guy he is and must care for you a lot too. :) Amazing that he had been healthy for so long, you have given him great care.
Thank you so much, you've been a great help.

If Tracie checks on this thread later I would definately want some of the serrapeptase. I'll do anything to make him feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom