18 Year old Beardie Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyH3012

Hi everyone.

I'm almost certain my beardies time has come to pass. He's 18 years old, will be 19 july 16th. He's been having these weird small twitching happening where he closes his eyes and slowly puts his head back and twitches it. I know this isn't normal at all.. also just last night he slept on his back. I woke up this morning and he was just on his back sleeping. He wouldn't eat anything this morning so I offered him a hornworm (which he normally doesnt eat) and he ate one. He's at this moment gasping for air it's really making me upset because I can actually hear it..hes got his mouth open just gasping with his eyes closed :( do you guys think it's his time to pass? I know he's lived a really really long life I just feel so bad if somethings really wrong with him and he's just sitting there suffering..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw.....it does sound like it's his last days. He'll probably go during the night from the sounds of it. Wow, that's really a very,very long life . I don't think I've heard of such a lifespan before. I'm so sorry that you are losing him.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, I'm so sorry, it does sound like he's showing the signs that his time is near. If you would feel better, you could try offering him a few drops of water on his nose to see if he wants to drink it. I did that with our 12 yr old when he was gasping and he did drink a little which made me feel like I was helping a little.

Your guy did have a very long life, have comfort in knowing that he cares for you as much as you do him. Maybe lay him flat on a nice soft blanket or towel tonight so he is nice and comfortable.

Hopefully he will just drift off to sleep. We are here for you.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
diamc":xpefjjow said:
Oh, I'm so sorry, it does sound like he's showing the signs that his time is near. If you would feel better, you could try offering him a few drops of water on his nose to see if he wants to drink it. I did that with our 12 yr old when he was gasping and he did drink a little which made me feel like I was helping a little.

Your guy did have a very long life, have comfort in knowing that he cares for you as much as you did him. Maybe lay him flat on a nice soft blanket or towel tonight so he is nice and comfortable.

Hopefully he will just drift off to sleep. We are here for you.
He just passed I believe hes on his back again and it doesn't look like he's breathing but he has 1 eye open.... he isnt showing any signs of life though so not sure if he just passed with 1 eye open. I remember people always telling me the older and older he got that I wouldn't cry because it's just a lizard...but i've been crying the whole day :( i've had him since i was 6 years old..never thought I could miss a lizard so much in my life. He was a great pet.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm so sorry. :( In case he hasn't passed yet, you may want to put him upright if you can get yoursef to do that as when they are upside down, it stresses them as it makes it harder for them to breathe.

The rescues that I've had that passed, had both eyes slightly open and their mouths were open a little too.

He isn't just a lizard, he was/is your companion and friend, you had a special bond. They are so loveable and smart. So very, very sorry. I know how much it hurts. :cry: Sending hugs your way.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
diamc":7my485bc said:
I'm so sorry. :( In case he hasn't passed yet, you may want to put him upright if you can get yoursef to do that as when they are upside down, it stresses them as it makes it harder for them to breathe.

The rescues that I've had that passed, had both eyes slightly open and their mouths were open a little too.

He isn't just a lizard, he was/is your companion and friend, you had a special bond. They are so loveable and smart. So very, very sorry. I know how much it hurts. :cry: Sending hugs your way.
Thank you so much for the kind words this is pretty tough for me.. He's still alive but isn't doing so well. Here's a pic of him : http://imgur.com/eA30ekN i went on ahead and wrapped him in a blanket so he can be as comfortable as possible in his last moments.. i was lost for words and yes, it's like i lost a friend. I actually remember buying him one of those leashes off amazon and going for walks with him. im really gonna miss that. his colors are going darker and darker :(

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you put him upright, I know that was hard. The blanket looks nice and soft.. You could hold him and comfort him if you want to, whatever you feel comfortable with. He may find your voice very soothing.

You must have a lot of great memories that you will always cherish.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I know this is a really tough part. I'm sure he's glad to have you with him now. 18 years is a great run and I'm sure he's been a really good buddy. I agree that holding him and speaking to him may offer some comfort to both of you now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry you are losing your best friend. :cry: I know how horrible it feels, he is not just a lizard but part of you & your family. He is almost 19 & that lifespan is virtually unheard of. He has had a wonderful life & you both grew up together which is amazing in itself.
I agree, holding him while is painful, it does bring comfort to you both. He can feel you & knows you are there & will help him pass more peacefully. I have been through it & the pain is indescribable but there is a certain peace when you hold him, it feels as though you can feel his spirit with you.
Let us know now things are going.

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Drache613":33fvtg4k said:
Hello,

I am so sorry you are losing your best friend. :cry: I know how horrible it feels, he is not just a lizard but part of you & your family. He is almost 19 & that lifespan is virtually unheard of. He has had a wonderful life & you both grew up together which is amazing in itself.
I agree, holding him while is painful, it does bring comfort to you both. He can feel you & knows you are there & will help him pass more peacefully. I have been through it & the pain is indescribable but there is a certain peace when you hold him, it feels as though you can feel his spirit with you.
Let us know now things are going.

Tracie
Thank you, Tracie.

Believe it or not I never knew 18 was such an old age for beardies! One of my friends said it was common for them to live to 20..so guess that wasn't true. He still hasn't passed. I'm super scared to even put him back in his cage to go to sleep because im afraid he wont wake up :( hes still breathing and when I talk to him he opens his eyes up and then shuts them. He stopped the gasping for air part but his beard is the blackest I've ever seen it.. it looks almost like glossy black.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry, I know it's rough to go through something like this. :cry:
Actually, 8-12 years is average on their life span so 18+ years is amazing!
That's ok, you don't have to put him back in his tank, you can keep him out all night & sleep with him on you or beside you.
Is his breathing regular right now & he isn't gasping for air?
Has this come on suddenly or is has it been a gradual thing?
Since his beard is black, it sounds like he doesn't feel well right now. Could there be a possibility of him having a respiratory infection?

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Drache613":3o51x32h said:
Hello,

I am sorry, I know it's rough to go through something like this. :cry:
Actually, 8-12 years is average on their life span so 18+ years is amazing!
That's ok, you don't have to put him back in his tank, you can keep him out all night & sleep with him on you or beside you.
Is his breathing regular right now & he isn't gasping for air?
Has this come on suddenly or is has it been a gradual thing?
Since his beard is black, it sounds like he doesn't feel well right now. Could there be a possibility of him having a respiratory infection?

Tracie
Right now he isn't gasping for air he was earlier for what seemed like 2 hours at least. I came home and he was on his back and when i flipped him back over he had his mouth open and was gasping for air for a while. He wasn't using his arms or legs and still doesnt seem to. Just kinda seems like he has noodles as arms and legs right now. I don't think he would have a respiratory infection. About a week ago he got a little bit of water in his nose during his bath after a shed and kinda what sounded like a cough or sneeze followed that. His beard is really really black right now. It has come on suddenly this morning was when I found him on his back. I opened up his mouth a little bit and he has some white stuff in there looks like milk :shock: i would assume that isn't normal..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He could have aspirated some water from his bath possibly.
The white stuff in his mouth isn't normal, no. It may be from an infection, possibly.
When did he start flipping on his back?
He might have been gasping for air simply from being on his back since they can't breathe very well on their backs. He looked good in the picture you posted & didn't show any signs of metabolic bone disease. Which UVB have you been using for him & how up to date was it?

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Drache613":3ijf0zcd said:
Hello,

He could have aspirated some water from his bath possibly.
The white stuff in his mouth isn't normal, no. It may be from an infection, possibly.
When did he start flipping on his back?
He might have been gasping for air simply from being on his back since they can't breathe very well on their backs. He looked good in the picture you posted & didn't show any signs of metabolic bone disease. Which UVB have you been using for him & how up to date was it?

Tracie
The UVB i've been using is a
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO

I just bought a new one a month ago. I always buy new bulbs for all my beardies every 3 months just to be sure they're still putting off UVB. Also during the summer it gets nice and warm outside where I live so he's been getting about 30 minutes every day of outside time to run around and absorb some natural sunlight. If he makes it through the night should I do a vet visit? I used a q tip and gently wiped off all of the white stuff out of his mouth. It smelt pretty bad so i guess you're right that it could be an infection.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How is he doing this morning? I didn't realize that he wasn't gaping almost continually, that he only did it after being on his back which could cause him to have breathing once he was turned over. So there is the possibility that he has an upper respiratory infection with what you're describing now. I hope he didn't end up on his back again and that you would be able to get him seen by a vet right away. Do you have a herp vet that you regularly use?

The T5's are great bulbs, is that what you have been using for him for the past few years? Is it sitting on top of the screen?

Please update us when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom