18 Year old Beardie Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Always glad to help. I want you both to be able to share some more precious time together.

If you want, you could go right to Tracie's site and order it there then you could post here that you did that so she will take care of it for you. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, thanks for the update! Art is a great name, after your grandfather, too. :D That is so neat he was such a wonderful friend for you after your grandfather passed.
That is incredible he is showing some improvement right now. The Baytril should help to knock out his respiratory issue along with a higher temperature. Be sure to keep him hydrated, too since antibiotics do tend to dry them out.
That's terrific he also ate, too. So, he must be feeling better right now.
I agree, I wouldn't go higher than 105 & he can go in & out of it as he wants to. That's ok if he prefers his basking log, if it's lower then he doesn't have to work so hard to climb since he has a harder time with his back legs. Arthritis is common for older dragons hopefully it doesn't hurt him too much.
You must give him tons of reasons to stay around, as he really seems to be fighting to stay with you! What a sweet boy he must be. He has really done well, you have kept him so healthy for a long time.
He will love his blankie with him. :love5:

Keep us posted on Art.

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
diamc":1qclmubr said:
Always glad to help. I want you both to be able to share some more precious time together.

If you want, you could go right to Tracie's site and order it there then you could post here that you did that so she will take care of it for you. :)
That would be awesome, what's the link to Tracie's site?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, I'm surprised, shocked and I'm sure you're delighted. :) If you could document his age, he may be the oldest beardie on record. There should at least be an article about him in the Beardie Times. :)

Tigresssnow

Hatchling Member
That's amazing that he ha lived so long. My heart is with you, I hope he heals and has a few more years with you! Definitely see about documenting his age :) I don't have any advice as I'm ink a new beardie owner and haven't run into any problems. Give him some love for us! And an update on precious Art :)

mraw

Just looked it up and the oldest bearded dragon in the world is 18 years old. You should document art and beat the record.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Hi everyone sorry for not posting an update been super busy lately. He's doing a little better but still isn't acting himself. Vet wanted me to give them a call back today to do possibly some X-rays on him. It's gonna be pricey most likely but it's worth it. As far as documenting his age I'm not sure how to do that or else I would. His 19th birthday is a week from today!! I sure hope he can pull through if there's nothing majorly wrong with him..vet said they want to make sure he doesn't have any tumors because those seem to be common with older beardies. Thank you for all your support everyone I really appreciate it. He does seem to be going downhill unfortunately. Just within this week he has completely stopped the usage of his back legs :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that is too bad his back legs are not working very well now. I am glad he seems to be doing a little better overall.
I hope he doesn't have any tumors either. It can be common in a lot of animals unfortunately, not just reptiles. Let us know how things go. I think that x-rays could help reveal any bone issues going on, in case he may have a case of metabolic bone disease. That is also a high possibility for his age also. I hope he is around for longer with you!
I hope he makes it to his 19th birthday also! That is so wonderful. You will have to make a superworm birthday cake or pie for him.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
18 years is the oldest dragon I have heard of!! You most have taken care of him very well. I'm sorry he isn't doing good. Death is part of the cycle of life, but its the hardest thing to go through. Since he's 18 y/o it must be extremely difficult.
Most of my animals live to be 50 years old, I hope they will miss me when I'm gone.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So sorry to hear about the non-use of his back legs. Did you decide to order the Serrapeptase to see if it would help at all?

Hope the x-rays don't show anything really worrisome. If it does show any bone issues, wonder if liquid calcium might help. Seems like they have problems absorbing the powdered calcium sufficiently as they get older.

We are all thinking of him and you. Unbelievable that he will be 19 next wk. Hope he can be with you a while longer, you're both quite a team.

Will watch for more updates on Art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom