18 Year old Beardie Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
:( Poor Art... He really does look like he doesn't feel well at all... :cry:

I know this must be really hard for you. He is such a tough dragon. A real fighter.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Art doing, is he still with you?
Let us know how you both are doing. We are all thinking of you & Art.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, we are all thinking of you and Art. This is SO terribly hard as he has been with you for so long and through so many things.

HUGS to both of you.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
So I took him into the vet today because I found him on his back again and they said he has pin worms :banghead: this makes me so mad at myself because I should've taken the signs he was showing earlier and took him in sooner. He's been very weak lately and the vet said that explains it. He's barely walking anymore..his back legs have seemed to have gone out on him completely.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, poor Art! How heavy of a count were the pinworms?
Did they get him started on some Panacur then? That would affect his appetite as well as his overall health if the levels were high enough in him.
Has his beard been darker than normal still?
Is he keeping his eyes open more yet? Definitely continue to keep him hydrated while he is on meds & give probiotics for him too to help settle his tummy.

Let us know how your precious boy is.

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Drache613":3noe5yue said:
Hello,

Oh no, poor Art! How heavy of a count were the pinworms?
Did they get him started on some Panacur then? That would affect his appetite as well as his overall health if the levels were high enough in him.
Has his beard been darker than normal still?
Is he keeping his eyes open more yet? Definitely continue to keep him hydrated while he is on meds & give probiotics for him too to help settle his tummy.

Let us know how your precious boy is.

Tracie
The pinworm count was definitely high. The vet went from being a great mood to a bad mood after looking him over. I'm bringing him in for more X-rays because the vet thinks his front legs might give out soon also and at that point she suggest I put him down since he really won't be able to move. She never gave me an exact count of the pinworms but she said there were lots. I really really don't wanna have to put him down I want him to die a peaceful natural death not being put to death from some medicine they use :( any tips on how to keep his bone strength nice and high? He's having issues gripping things because his back legs don't work. His beard and tail are black unfortunately :( he's still a little character. He likes to bob his head at my female beardie during the day and it still cracks me up. I would appreciate any help on how to keep his bones nice and strong I really really don't want to have to put him down because his front legs give out. Thanks so much.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Poor Art is gasping for air again :(. I guess we'll have to see if he makes it through the night. He's scheduled for 10am for the vet tomorrow. Prayers are appreciated for the poor guy :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh Art is gasping for air now? Did he start that after getting a dose of dewormer medication? Did you get any fluids into him?
I can't blame you for wanting him to just pass with you, at home. :cry: I know how you feel, putting them down is so hard.
You could switch to a liquid calcium if you haven't already, to help increase calcium absorption.
Using a high output UVB such as the T5 Reptisun 10 or the T5 Arcadia D3 12% either one would give a much higher UVB output.
I am sorry he is having a terrible time tonight. Let us know how he is doing overnight & in the morning.
We will be thinking about you both.

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Drache613":a88yfi1h said:
Hello,

Oh Art is gasping for air now? Did he start that after getting a dose of dewormer medication? Did you get any fluids into him?
I can't blame you for wanting him to just pass with you, at home. :cry: I know how you feel, putting them down is so hard.
You could switch to a liquid calcium if you haven't already, to help increase calcium absorption.
Using a high output UVB such as the T5 Reptisun 10 or the T5 Arcadia D3 12% either one would give a much higher UVB output.
I am sorry he is having a terrible time tonight. Let us know how he is doing overnight & in the morning.
We will be thinking about you both.

Tracie
He just started doing it about an hour ago. He's keeping his mouth open just a little bit, and then every once and a while he opens his mouth super wide puffs out his beard and his stomach expands so I would assume that's what he's doing is gasping. I'm praying he gets through the night. If he doesn't I'm still very thankful I got to spend 19 years with him. Love him to pieces.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's so stressful on you, I hope he is able to sleep through the night. :cry:
It is truly a gift to have spent 19 years with him, what a lucky boy Art is to have such a wonderful owner. I hope he makes it through the night, too.
I hope the meds aren't bothering him.
We are all here for you & for Art.

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Art has just passed :( thank you all for the help and hugs. Haven't cried this much since my grandpa passed. Best 19 years I could ever ask for..thanks for being such a great best friend.

scorpius

I am so sorry to hear Art has passed away , to have a dragon live that long is amazing I am happy he had a loving home and you cared for him so well

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
So sorry for your loss ? 19 years is a long time but no matter the age, it is never easy {{{HUGS}}}

SDragons

Juvie Member
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I believe that your beardie is in heaven and is in the care and love of your Grandfather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom