NEW beardie advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything regular care sheets don't say that I should know or have to get a baby beardie? I will get one soon also I'm 12.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
First off, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to do your research before acquiring you new dragon!
FEEDING
Baby dragons require lots or care and, patients. They grow up fast when properly fed (3 x a day, as many crickets as they want in a 10 to 15 minute time frame), this can be up to 40 to 50 crickets a day.
Don't let those people at the pet store talk you into any think less, it will only harm you dragon in the end.
LIGHTING
This is by far one of the things that need to be right from the start. Most of the mistakes made have to do with types of lighting. Those coil compact uvb lights that come in the kits, cause eye infections and, blindness. I always recommend the Arcadia 12%D3 or the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO Long tube type uvb, at least 1/2 the length of the vivarium.
HOUSING
Minimum requirements for a adult is a 40 gal breeder tank, optimum is 4x2x2 or longer.
TEMPERATURES
Basking temps for babies up to 12 months of age is 105° to 110°, adults drop to 95° to 100°! Temperature gradients are very important as well, larger cages are much easier to achieve this. Cool end 78° to 85° with the warm end reaching 90° to 95° under the basking spot. This allows them to find a zone they need to regulate body temps for proper digestion.
SUBSTRATE
Never use sand or other loose substrates, they can cause impaction and a miserable death. I use rough textured floor tile, it is easy to keep clean, doesn't post an impaction risk and, doesn't promote bacterial growth. You can also use paper towels, nonadhesive shelf liner and, newsprint.

I hope this was helpful in some way.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Pogonacave":1hsmhwf6 said:
This was helpful... THANK YOU! I would like to say average care sheets don't give those tips?

After my sons dragon fell ill due to bad advice from a pet store, I started researching everything bearded dragon related. It was a long battle but we lost her after all to side effects left by her illness. Its been a year and a half now but I still miss her!
I got another dragon to help with the loss and, she is spoiled rotten, lol!
This is why I come here everyday, to help those who need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom