(Another) Male or Female Beardie?

HandsomeHugosMa

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hugo, (Maybe Helga?)
Hey everyone! Long story short, about a year ago we purchased a juvenile Bearded Dragon on a whim (I know, I know) and I found this site after digging a little deeper into proper Beardie Care. Thanks to everyone for the help! Our little Hugo is now very big and usually relaxed with some spicy days thrown into the mix now and then. As I'm sure you all know, Bearded Dragons have big personalities and we've come to really enjoy Hugo's mischievous quirks.

The problem is... I'm not entirely certain we brought home a male! I'm hoping you all could help clear up some of the mystery.

Below is a quick snapshot I got right before he came out for a cleaning session, taken March 7th. Any guesses? I'm not entirely convinced he's male based off head shape, current size, and temperament.

HUGO1.jpg

Him being a Her would certainly change things! So, in order to give Hugo (Or should I say Helga?) the best environment possible, any and all help is appreciated.

HUG02.jpg
Hugo3.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hey everyone! Long story short, about a year ago we purchased a juvenile Bearded Dragon on a whim (I know, I know) and I found this site after digging a little deeper into proper Beardie Care. Thanks to everyone for the help! Our little Hugo is now very big and usually relaxed with some spicy days thrown into the mix now and then. As I'm sure you all know, Bearded Dragons have big personalities and we've come to really enjoy Hugo's mischievous quirks.

The problem is... I'm not entirely certain we brought home a male! I'm hoping you all could help clear up some of the mystery.

Below is a quick snapshot I got right before he came out for a cleaning session, taken March 7th. Any guesses? I'm not entirely convinced he's male based off head shape, current size, and temperament.

View attachment 88298
Him being a Her would certainly change things! So, in order to give Hugo (Or should I say Helga?) the best environment possible, any and all help is appreciated.

View attachment 88300 View attachment 88301
The face looks female, but to know for sure you need to arch the tail forward over the back and get a pic that way. I'll also post a pic of how to candle light. Just be careful not to burn Hugo with the light.

Attachments

• s2OIALbl.jpg
    s2OIALbl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 23

HandsomeHugosMa

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hugo, (Maybe Helga?)
@xp29 Thank you!

I genuinely believe we may have a female on our hands, now that we're approaching Hugo's "one year since purchase" mark. He's much smaller than most males I've interacted with and docile as a stuffed toy. Loves, I mean LOVES getting neck scratches.

I worry about the need for proper substrate with the eventuality of our beardie going gravid.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
@xp29 Thank you!

I genuinely believe we may have a female on our hands, now that we're approaching Hugo's "one year since purchase" mark. He's much smaller than most males I've interacted with and docile as a stuffed toy. Loves, I mean LOVES getting neck scratches.

I worry about the need for proper substrate with the eventuality of our beardie going gravid.
Your welcome 😀
Just offer a self contained dig box. They'll use them (most of the time) my girl digs the sand out then lays all or her habitat lol.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
@xp29 Thank you!

Hi there, Hugo is a beauty but you can't really gauge if they are a M/F by their head shape, their temperament or by their size. It's easy to do the tail arch to be sure so that would be my suggestion. Then you can have your baby reveal party here. :)

HandsomeHugosMa

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hugo, (Maybe Helga?)
Hi there, Hugo is a beauty but you can't really gauge if they are a M/F by their head shape, their temperament or by their size. It's easy to do the tail arch to be sure so that would be my suggestion. Then you can have your baby reveal party here. :)
Absolutely true! Thank you! To be quite fair on him(?), he's still young as far as Bearded Dragons go and may have some development as the months go on.

We'll attempt a "candle light" tonight. If I manage to snap a successful pic (Hugo is the squirmy type when it comes to tail touching) I'll post an update!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom