Italian Leatherback

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtickc86

Hatchling Member
Just curious...

What makes a dragon an Italian leatherback? Is there a difference between leatherback and Italian leatherback?

Thanks.

Gail

BD.org Addict
From what I understand the Italian leatherback and leatherback are the same thing. The original bloodline was bred in Italy but many breeders have dropped the Italian part.
This is just my understanding, I could be wrong.

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Italian leatherbacks carry a dominant gene for fewer tubercles (the bumps on their back) while the American version is a recessive gene. It really doesn't make much of a difference unless you're breeding them, since the dominant gene will produce more babies with the leatherback trait.

TheWolfmanTom":qqy8o95j said:
Leatherback or Italian Leatherback are the same.
American smoothies are very very similar

you beat me to it lol, leatherbacks or italian leatherbacks are co dom meaning you also have a super form aka the silkback, but the smoothie doesnt to my knowlage have a super form but also the smoothies are recesive meaning you can have a het smoothie.

There is four different types of leatherback.
1). Italian leatherback(codominant). Produced by Allessandro in Italy
2). American leatherback(codominant) aka: "smoothie", origionally produced by Anna from AC reptiles
3). "Skeletor" line(recessive) Produced by myself.
4). "Pancake" leatherback(breeds the same as color). aka: "reduced scale". This line was also produced by myself. Must be line bred to keep it going.

The first two will produce silkbacks. The last two look almost identical when put side by side. After a series of test breedings, I found that the two are completely seperate lines, and are not compatible. These will not produce silkbacks.

Most of the leatherbacks we see for sale are Italian leatherbacks. They have a stockier build, more uniform, and smoother, compared to American leathers.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom