BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Not sure why my communication disabilities are coming through in typed form lol

"Free Bettas"

Hey, how much?

Dude, I literally wrote up a whole thing with the very minor requirements to have a aquarium setup for a Betta, why they are free and care instructions lol I'm half tempted to start throwing out numbers just to see what they're worth then show them the ad again when they try to pay me.

Yeesh people. I'd do that, but I want to be sure it's not just some last minute I have money purchase then it winds up in a small tank.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Not sure why my communication disabilities are coming through in typed form lol

"Free Bettas"

Hey, how much?

Dude, I literally wrote up a whole thing with the very minor requirements to have a aquarium setup for a Betta, why they are free and care instructions lol I'm half tempted to start throwing out numbers just to see what they're worth then show them the ad again when they try to pay me.

Yeesh people. I'd do that, but I want to be sure it's not just some last minute I have money purchase then it winds up in a small tank.
Reminds me of when I had to rehome my land hermit crabs. I had to rehome them as it was not allowed to move with them internationally. (Id saddened me, as for me pets are "forever home", but it was just not possible, and also just not moving was not an option as my visa run out.) I wrote care instructions, a large tank (120 gallon) was included, everything (for free!), and the costs for keeping them would have been very low, as it's basically just their food which is scraps of raw veggies and maybe fish (cut off the end of the carrot, spare 1 square centimeter of your fish fillet - their feast!), a supplement that lasts for a very long time (they eat only little), aquarium salt (also very little is needed as the salt water is not to fill a tank but just goes into a dish, supply for years included). The very most important thing for me was that they can continue to thrive.
People then tried to talk down the tank size, the food they need. Like "We don't need the tank, we already have one" (theirs was shoebox-sized, literally, or at maximum 2 - 3 times that), "Can they live on pellets?" (Why? Do you really never buy veggies and could spare what you cut away?) I also wanted to be sure they don't end up in a small critter keeper, deprived of substrate (they need deep substrate to dig down to shed their skin, a process that can take weeks - many people keep them without or with only minimum substrate intentionally so the crabs can't dig down and people can see them always... ), having to munch on pellets and then ending up in or next to the garbage when seen as "boring".

Regarding the general thing, ads, being it for rehoming pets or for selling off household stuff: I've made the observation that often people don't read carefully. We were moving twice intercontinentally (Europe -> US -> South America), so two times selling off almost everything (I hate throwing away stuff that is in a good condition and which I would have continued to use if staying). What all happened during that - don't ask ;)
On the other hand, as I often buy used things (same reason: I hate it when things that still can be used are thrown away) and more than half in our household is pre-owned including clothes: Indeed often the ads are not precise, or a "FREE" in the title so people look but indeed it costs something.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Maybe that's what I need to do. Post it like I'm using the free section to get around paying for an add.

*Free* YO YO YO NOT FREE READ THE AD!
lol

To circle back to our brains, we evolved in a gifting culture. Let us do our thing! lol

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
PXL_20240525_174058537.jpg
PXL_20240525_174312120.jpg

I got some honey and an invitation to visit the apiary to get an up close look at honey production and processes and a place for some of this years goldfish spawn next year when they're a good size:)

Bees and honey are yet another thing I study and love. Can't have botany, horticulture or agriculture without our bee buddies. It's the nectar of the gods and it's Latin name is tears of Ra. I can't study and do what I do without bees and honey. That rare sweet treat that we got in pre-history up until mass production of sugar cane which is when history starts to suck lol

Edit: Get bitter? I like bitter better.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
That's cool :)
My grandfather was a beekeeper, but passed away when I was very young, and hadn't been a beekeeper for a while before because he was too ill. I thus have a few memories of that, but not much (he stopped keeping bees when I was four years old). Sadly, my father didn't take the apiary over as he was afraid of the bees.
Years after, I had the chance when a school I attended (a usual countryside middle school) had beekeeping afternoon activity.

I had thought often about keeping bees, but it always didn't work out for a variety of reasons, mainly because not staying long enough in one place (the last 10 years, we moved each 2 - 4 years long-distance). You can't take them with you when moving, usually, and just another thing to find a responsible new person for, oh no...
And here: just too few flowers, no agriculture around. (I saw apiaries when I visited Southern Chile, so e.g. near Patagonia. Puerto Varas, for example. I bought some jars of very nice honey there.)
As I see the hot honey: I also had one a while ago, and from then on I'm used to have a jar of honey in which I put some dried chili peppers, too.

Do you like bitter foods? (I do. Or phrase it like that: Food many people call "bitter" isn't so for me. Broccoli for example, I had never understood why it's said kids hate it. Has always been one of my favorite veggies. Other food, I taste something bitter, like bitter chocolate, but I like it - for sure the 100 % cocoa with cocoa nibs and not the milk chocolate for me. Overly sweet things are not my taste - e.g. I never drink softdrinks, I never sweeten tea or any other kind of beverage, and for the bread, no sugar goes in. For what I then use the honey? Christmas cookies, original German recipes passed down from grandma, mom & Co. Slight modification? Use the chili-infused one.)

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
The hot honey is infused with jalapeno and habanero but it tastes like honey that bees feeding on peppers would make. It shouldn't taste like that if it was, it's a different sort of taste. But when you taste it it's like "these bees are pollinating peppers" lol
PXL_20240527_000725396.jpg

PXL_20240527_000715038.jpg
PXL_20240526_201037594.jpg PXL_20240526_201000785.MP.jpg

As for bitter, I'm hit and miss. I don't like beer, but I have had good beers. I don't like dark chocolate, have had really good dark chocolate. The chocolate edible company I worked for had really good base chocolate in general and great dark chocolate. Sometimes there would be an error or blockage in the infusion part of the machine so we would have entire bags of stuff we couldn't sell because it was just chocolate.

Last edited:

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
PXL_20240611_172022253.jpg

Not Bettas. Baby butterfly koi / goldfish with koi pattern fry :)

Once they're big enough, Bettas round two but with 12% of a plan lol

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Just watched one hatch :)

Saw the egg fall out of the nest with a tail, get free swimming then swam off with an eggshell helmet lol

Kind of more excited about the goldfish spawn lol It was a nice and natural pairing. The male I wanted to breed with a female I don't mind breeding and wasn't the one I was hoping for lol Still a pretty fish, but not a fantail.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Just watched one hatch :)

Saw the egg fall out of the nest with a tail, get free swimming then swam off with an eggshell helmet lol

Kind of more excited about the goldfish spawn lol It was a nice and natural pairing. The male I wanted to breed with a female I don't mind breeding and wasn't the one I was hoping for lol Still a pretty fish, but not a fantail.
Man I wish you had gotten a video, that would be so cool to watch!!

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
1000013582.jpg

One of the females I kept for breeding. Kiddo named her Pumpkin because she looks like she swam into a pumpkin lol Only golden mask I have developed up.

Plan to breed her to his crowntail, Blaze
PXL_20240613_152918505.jpg

That will be a fun one.
The pink and black with blue irridescence has two potential females to breed with.
PXL_20240605_232443908.jpg

Hoping for pink based tricolor bodies with crowntails and blue irridescence. After mating the offspring from both pairings.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom