Why do I look on Craigslist:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Australian laws are different apparently...
I'm speaking of proposed laws in the US that would affect me.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
There is too much out there and I can't figure out how to paste more than one per post on my phone. But if you search for proposed US bans and regulations you will soon see why most of us want to keep the government out of our lives. Not sure about Australia's government, but in the US anytime the government gets involved in stuff like this, it usually only works out well for the government.
http://kfor.com/2016/02/09/snake-owners-outraged-over-proposed-exotic-animal-ban-in-norman/

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rankins":1eqb3b6h said:
This is only some of what has been proposed in the US. Ill try to find more as time allows. But as you can see, these regulations are a ban on any reptile that is classified as "injurious" ....basically that means its open to interpritation. https://andreww1blog.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/catx-quiet-storm-of-lacey-act-overreach/
read it , looks OK and reasonable to me.

We haven't been permitted to import exotics for many years, and special permits are required to send even indigenous (native) wildlife interstate which is fine. The hobby and breeders have survived.

Sorry but despite the anti-regulation spin, the sky has not fallen with the introduction of restrictions and regulations governing the breeding , sale and keeping of reptiles and the banning of imports of exotics.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Your the first reptile owner I have met that actually endorses a government dictates rules regarding animal ownership.
Your discouraging ownership instead of encouraging it. I want more people to become interested in reptiles, hard to do that when you make them difficult to own.
You do realize your suggesting most people on this list should have permits to own their animals...right?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I'm gonna drop it...we clearly just won't agree on this one. I really do see where your coming from though. You want what's best for the animals, and I can respect that. Even if I don't agree with the method.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rankins":7d2wuguc said:
Your the first reptile owner I have met that actually endorses a government dictates rules regarding animal ownership.
Your discouraging ownership instead of encouraging it. I want more people to become interested in reptiles, hard to do that when you make them difficult to own.
You do realize your suggesting most people on this list should have permits to own their animals...right? <<<< yep, that's how it works here, no permit/licence , no sale of a reptile to you from a legit breeder or keeper.or pet shop licenced to stock and sell reptiles - PERIOD

Nearly every keeper and breeder I've met have very few problems with the licencing and restrictions here.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I have to say, Rankins is right. I live in CA where it is already extremely hard to get ANY kind of animals. I couldn't imagine them putting more restrictions on them. Out here, ferrets, sugar gliders, african clawed frogs, axolotls, even GERBILS are illegal. Do I think the average person should be able to own a lion or puma? Of course not! But that is something completely different. Banning things like bearded dragons or ball pythons is just plain stupid. Animal abuse is very sad and upsetting, but putting a ban on these amazing animals isn't going to solve the problem

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":3a6m9qx7 said:
Rankins":3a6m9qx7 said:
You do realize your suggesting most people on this list should have permits to own their animals...right? <<<< yep, that's how it works here, no permit/licence , no sale of a reptile to you from a legit breeder or keeper.or pet shop licenced to stock and sell reptiles - PERIOD

Nearly every keeper and breeder I've met have very few problems with the licencing and restrictions here.
Yes, that may be so but, how long have they had those permits? I would venture to say that they have had them a while and it is now just a formality. Some buracrat is lining his pockets with the money received from them. This buracrat doesn't give two chits about the animals.....count on it.
So you can go on touting your precious regulations all you want, the point is muet....we don't want them here!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
CooperDragon":3kdbu0gw said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that as an individual you can reach and help the most dragons by continuing to read through the posts on this site and share your experience and knowledge. Just by providing time you can reach out and help way more dragons that you could physically. I bookmark the site using this code https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unreadposts to make it easier to review all new posts and make sure nobody is waiting for a response.

Thanks! I've been trying to figure out a quick way to check the posts I haven't read yet. This looks like it might do the trick :D

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
...and Wow :shock: I just found this thread and read it from the beginning, and I have to say that it's amazing how fast we learn when we have a little critter that we've fallen in love with and want to take the best possible care of, as well as how much we all learn from each other. But I'll stay out of the debate about whether or not more regulations will do more harm than good or vice versa -- I don't think there are really any easy answers here :( :?

Also, you folks are awesome for having the nerve to stick up for the bearded dragons in the pet stores :blob5: :blob8:

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SHBailey":ozqqd03s said:
CooperDragon":ozqqd03s said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that as an individual you can reach and help the most dragons by continuing to read through the posts on this site and share your experience and knowledge. Just by providing time you can reach out and help way more dragons that you could physically. I bookmark the site using this code https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unreadposts to make it easier to review all new posts and make sure nobody is waiting for a response.

Thanks! I've been trying to figure out a quick way to check the posts I haven't read yet. This looks like it might do the trick :D
I just go to "new posts" on the board index and read the new ones I venture to read (trying to stay out of the ones that start up that emotional rollercoaster ride) sometimes they slip through :cry: but not as many. Then I refresh the page and check for more responses.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
SHBailey":7k64w1on said:
...and Wow :shock: I just found this thread and read it from the beginning, and I have to say that it's amazing how fast we learn when we have a little critter that we've fallen in love with and want to take the best possible care of, as well as how much we all learn from each other. But I'll stay out of the debate about whether or not more regulations will do more harm than good or vice versa -- I don't think there are really any easy answers here :( :?

Also, you folks are awesome for having the nerve to stick up for the bearded dragons in the pet stores :blob5: :blob8:

I am happy to report that I had to go into my local petsmart this morning and that god awful salesperson I had the displeasure of correcting has been fired!!!!! The lady I spoke with this morning was the manager and was seriously great and knew her stuff. While she was getting me some crickets I asked about the feeding and care (since she personally owns reptiles) and she told me and I said well this is what happened Friday. She told me that the incident with, apparently me, set off a chain reaction and that she doesn't tolerated blatant neglect and bad information from her associates. I'll take that as a huge win!!!!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Zombiepanda":1sjvyxyk said:
SHBailey":1sjvyxyk said:

I am happy to report that I had to go into my local petsmart this morning and that god awful salesperson I had the displeasure of correcting has been fired!!!!! The lady I spoke with this morning was the manager and was seriously great and knew her stuff. While she was getting me some crickets I asked about the feeding and care (since she personally owns reptiles) and she told me and I said well this is what happened Friday. She told me that the incident with, apparently me, set off a chain reaction and that she doesn't tolerated blatant neglect and bad information from her associates. I'll take that as a huge win!!!!!
YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! The Zombie strikes back!!!
I am so proud of you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom