Calcium Gluconate Injection

Smawg

Hatchling Member
I took my 8 yr old Beardie to the vet Saturday, because she has been wobbling while she walks, which now lead to her starting to get weak, and not want to walk. She is still eating and drinking,
I took her in and Doc said she is very dehydrated.
He took her in back and gave her fluids, he also gave her injection of calcium, since she was laying eggs last yr. he said that it takes a lot out of them.
He also sent me home with a week supply of injections to give to her daily.

Anyways a few hours after we was home, I went to check on her & she was LIMP AS CAN BE. she felt like if holding a cooked spaghetti noodle across the palm of your hand. her head just fell, her legs everything about her was just heavy and deadlike. I had to wait until Mon. to call them & ask if this is normal after they get fluids or calcium injections.

They said it is not normal for that to happen, she was sick when she came in and it took its toll.
I told them she was totally alert when I brought her there, her eyes was open, she was watching the dr. ect ect. I said this happen several hours after me bringing her there. I said now she is basically paralyzed, eyes closed and skin yellow.
I then told them, you said she was really sick when I brought her there, then why didn't you tell me its best if we put her down? I was then told, well we didn't know this was going to happen she was very sick. Again I said, exactly. why didn't you put her to sleep then?
The Dr said its a start of MBD and by giving her the calcium it will strengthen her up and the fluids will help hydrate her back up.
Sunday came and I did not give her the injection because I couldn't get a hold of the vet, and I did not know what was going on with her because of how she was looking.
Well I took her outside on Monday it was nice and sunny out, she opened her eyes :) she was absorbing the sun, and she was opening up her mouth, anyways, this put a hugh smile on my face, I called the vet again, and told them what was going on with her now, and how her skin is turning normal and she was not so heavy and limp like she was.
Dr said make sure to give her the injections... I gave her the injection and now she is yellow in color again, she is very heavy and deadlike again. SMH Has anyone else went threw this?

I am now waiting to hear from Dr. but no calls yet. I even asked can she be dehydrated because possible parasites? Several yrs ago, she got med. for parasites, Doc said she will more then likely get them again, all reptiles do. So I was told, NOOOO we dont think she has parasites, I said why not? doc said she would get them again, and if she has been eating and drinking normally what could it be that is causing her to lose weight and become like this? Now my messages are getting related and I am not getting phone calls back.

I honestly feel she might have parasites again, which that lead to her weight loss and dehydration and caused weakness. I wonder why they do not think she has parasites again, She had them 5 yrs ago.
My beardie is not this color normally

Attachments

• 384752284_6683730005025636_5133543369317776180_n.jpg
    384752284_6683730005025636_5133543369317776180_n.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 384755075_6683729941692309_6872084630067172633_n.jpg
    384755075_6683729941692309_6872084630067172633_n.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 12541071_966018250130202_317598914437115324_n.jpg
    12541071_966018250130202_317598914437115324_n.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I took my 8 yr old Beardie to the vet Saturday, because she has been wobbling while she walks, which now lead to her starting to get weak, and not want to walk. She is still eating and drinking,
I took her in and Doc said she is very dehydrated.
He took her in back and gave her fluids, he also gave her injection of calcium, since she was laying eggs last yr. he said that it takes a lot out of them.
He also sent me home with a week supply of injections to give to her daily.

Anyways a few hours after we was home, I went to check on her & she was LIMP AS CAN BE. she felt like if holding a cooked spaghetti noodle across the palm of your hand. her head just fell, her legs everything about her was just heavy and deadlike. I had to wait until Mon. to call them & ask if this is normal after they get fluids or calcium injections.

They said it is not normal for that to happen, she was sick when she came in and it took its toll.
I told them she was totally alert when I brought her there, her eyes was open, she was watching the dr. ect ect. I said this happen several hours after me bringing her there. I said now she is basically paralyzed, eyes closed and skin yellow.
I then told them, you said she was really sick when I brought her there, then why didn't you tell me its best if we put her down? I was then told, well we didn't know this was going to happen she was very sick. Again I said, exactly. why didn't you put her to sleep then?
The Dr said its a start of MBD and by giving her the calcium it will strengthen her up and the fluids will help hydrate her back up.
Sunday came and I did not give her the injection because I couldn't get a hold of the vet, and I did not know what was going on with her because of how she was looking.
Well I took her outside on Monday it was nice and sunny out, she opened her eyes :) she was absorbing the sun, and she was opening up her mouth, anyways, this put a hugh smile on my face, I called the vet again, and told them what was going on with her now, and how her skin is turning normal and she was not so heavy and limp like she was.
Dr said make sure to give her the injections... I gave her the injection and now she is yellow in color again, she is very heavy and deadlike again. SMH Has anyone else went threw this?

I am now waiting to hear from Dr. but no calls yet. I even asked can she be dehydrated because possible parasites? Several yrs ago, she got med. for parasites, Doc said she will more then likely get them again, all reptiles do. So I was told, NOOOO we dont think she has parasites, I said why not? doc said she would get them again, and if she has been eating and drinking normally what could it be that is causing her to lose weight and become like this? Now my messages are getting related and I am not getting phone calls back.

I honestly feel she might have parasites again, which that lead to her weight loss and dehydration and caused weakness. I wonder why they do not think she has parasites again, She had them 5 yrs ago.
My beardie is not this color normally
Ihave never had that happen before. it probably had something to do with the shots. It makes a ton of sense when after they gave her the injection she was limp and yellow and when you didn't give her the injection but when you gave her the injection after they said she was limp and yellow again. I would have tests to see if she has parasites. I had a bearded dragon who had parasites and he got them again so it's common for parasites to come back.
I'll have Tracie take a look here but that's what I'm thinking.
@Drache613

Smawg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you... but Smawg just passed :( I just came back from the vet, I asked Dr. if I could have something in case she does have parasites, He gave me a dose of panacur. Well when I got home she already passed.... I gave it to her anyways...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, this is terrible ! Are you positive she's dead ? I'm so sorry about your girl Smawg. :( I believe as you do, the shock of the vet visit + shots nearly wiped her out the first time and then the following shot seemed to have killed her. I always grimace when vets give shots right off the bat, in a case where beardie's are a bit wobbly from a possible calcium or D3 deficiency it's usually best to just increase oral intake and get them out in the sun. Too bad it took this turn after the vet visit.....again, I'm so sorry and my heart goes out to you.

Last edited:

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Thank you... but Smawg just passed :( I just came back from the vet, I asked Dr. if I could have something in case she does have parasites, He gave me a dose of panacur. Well when I got home she already passed.... I gave it to her anyways...
I am so sorry for your loss. That's horrible. The shots must've taken her life as you saw when you gave them to her when your vet said to give them to her once daily and she became very limp that's very sad. You did your best and followed what the vet said even though it didn't save your little Smawg. May she rest in peace 🙏 :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so so sorry that happened to your little
Smawg. :cry:
Unfortunately, Calcium injections are not usually
a good idea, if a blood test isn't done. It can be
a total shock on the system which leads to organ
failure. It may have caused too much calcium to
be released into the bloodstream leading to heart
or renal failure.
I hate that vets don't have more common sense or
empathy sometimes.
My condolences, I am so sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom