What is the biggest bearded dragon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The cohabitation of the two beardies in the Utube clip (I watched / muted mode) was my key concern hence my comment .

Yes the bigger dragon looked obese (but a lot of that was likely due to it pancaking too), but that was not an immediately dangerous issue IMO hence I didn't comment ( yes the clip is old ).

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
JIMMIA":1bz3byzl said:
of they can't be together, how are you suppose to breed them than? please :|
In the wild they have limitless amount of space, they come together real quick, breed and then separate, if they dont want to breed they can easily get away and hide.
In captivity, you control everything, which includes making sure that the female doesn't get overbred or stressed out as it has nowhere to run. You also have to make sure the female doesn't kill the male.
You only put them together until the deed is done, once it's done you separate.

Overbreeding is also a problem with cohabitation, if you have a male and a female together the male will breed her till she dies.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thank you :) and one more last question about this please :) sorry :( and am I doing wrong by keeping a female? how long can she live for? please, any things I should look out for when growing up? like yearly check or any of that? I know sh d has pealed 3 times in the 5 months I had her but anything else I should be weary of? hide her reflection? because she sometimes glass surf (glass surf haha I think it's funny since hippielizards tell me) sorry :)

My first beardie was a half German giant. She passed at only 6 years old from a heart attack due to her size. The vet did her final measurement before they cremated her, and she capped out at 28in.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JIMMIA":11hxjaj9 said:
thank you :) and one more last question about this please :) sorry :( and am I doing wrong by keeping a female?
>>> nothing wrong with keeping a female dragon.
….just house her in her own tank.

OK to have more than one bearded dragon , so long as they are ALL INDIVIDUALLY housed and NEVER allowed to PHYSICALLY MEET each other.

If you plan on breeding , only allow the male to be with the female long enough to court and do the deed , then they should be separated .

The only exception to the above rules are the situation with Pogona henrylawsoni (RANKINS / PYGMIE bearded dragons) , not to be confused with eastern and central bearded dragons runts and crossbreeds ( "vittikins" ).
HENRYLAWSONI are known to be form colonies (of females) in the wild , these charming miniature bearded dragons are routinely kept as groups of females , several can happily live in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank .

how long can she live for?
<<< my girl Rex was nearly 5 yr old , died suddenly (birth defect).I've heard of some captive dragons getting to 18 yr old and older …. great genetics , great husbandry , luck

please, any things I should look out for when growing up? like yearly check or any of that? I know sh d has pealed 3 times in the 5 months I had her but anything else I should be weary of?
<<<< the interval between sheds gets longer as a dragon grows from hatchling --> juvenile --> subadult --> mature adult , and the parts of the dragon that are in shed become more piecemeal , can even be just a few scles here and there as an adult.
A mature adult adult might have a major shed (ie body & tail and legs) once per year.
hide her reflection? because she sometimes glass surf (glass surf haha I think it's funny since hippielizards tell me) sorry :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The dragon in the video is extremely obese, nothing to do with pancaking. Look at dragons in the wild. Just like wild monitor lizards, wild tigers, wild mountain goats, wild geckos, etc. you will see that a wild beardie has the proper physique. A dragon in captivity that looks like it swallowed a tennis ball is severely obese, no matter how it's sitting that is 100% obvious and it is a big problem with captive dragons.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As for a dragon having G.Giant lines, yes the lines are diluted but are still out there. The genes don't disappear. They just get shared + bred in to other lines.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":3bjnfmfl said:
The dragon in the video is extremely obese, nothing to do with pancaking. Look at dragons in the wild. Just like wild monitor lizards, wild tigers, wild mountain goats, wild geckos, etc. you will see that a wild beardie has the proper physique. A dragon in captivity that looks like it swallowed a tennis ball is severely obese, no matter how it's sitting that is 100% obvious and it is a big problem with captive dragons.

All true.

Cohabitation is a problem that be solved in a day. (By providing individual tanks or tubs).

Obesity in a dragon is not something that can be solved nearly as fast (or even as fast as it might with a fat mammalian pet , because unlike mammals , reptiles like dragons are thermoregulating
ectotherms) - issues at hand here are
>> poor husbandry
>> poor diet / inappropriate diet
>> little or no opportunity for the dragon to move more than a few steps
>> keeper ignorance / apathy / denial / inexperience
>> genetics like with people and mammalian pets plays a role too.

The complexity of the issue (of getting the metabolic rate of a thermoregulating
ectotherm right) is dealt with here : http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.507.8671&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Hence I advocate small daily meals , rather than imposing periods of a few to several days of fasting on our pet dragons , my observation is the dragons will know food is going to be available each day and so wont be starving hungry so less eager to eat every bit of food they see , so less chance of a dragon (or skink for that matter) of eating so much it is literally burstingly full (like it will when it doesn't know when the next meal is coming), often hear reports of pet reptiles guzzling down so much food they reach the volumetric capacity of their stomach and upchuck some of the food they have taken in.

Keys are everything (food wize) in moderation , keeping to a daily routine, and making sure the temperatures are good (thermoregulating ectotherms use heat from their environment to digest and metabolise their food, they do not create heat in their own bodies through their body's metabolism). This makes it even harder to get an obese dragon to metabolize fat stored on its body and organs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom