What is the age of breeding bd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LigerZero

How old does my bd have to be to start making eggs? shes a little over a year old. And can she lay infertile eggs. I want her to have a friend to be with and maybe have a couple of babies.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I've heard they can start laying infertile eggs after they are around 1 year or so.

But beardies are not social, and do not form relationships with other beardies... Another beardie would not be a "friend", it would be competition for survival. And secondly, you realize your beardie wouldn't just have a couple babies, right? From one breeding, they can lay 4 clutches of 25 eggs. That right there is 100 little poopers to feed, provide enclosures and UVB lights, and find homes for, my friend.

LigerZero

Original Poster
Cool. Well I have no plans for another bd yet and if I do the next is a smaller maleand hopefully she becomes dominate before he does

Jess

Extreme Poster
LigerZero":3ms1xcui said:
Yes I know but I want her to be a mom at least once.

I'm not trying to be mean, so don't take this the wrong way, but...
From previous posts you made, I understand that you didn't have a UVB light, and you are having issues with her eating, going to the bathroom, ect. And you are even younger than I am. I really don't think you should even consider breeding until you have everything figured out with your current dragon.
And to animals, it really doesn't matter to them whether or not they have babies or "be a mom", especially to reptiles. Heck, bearded dragons will happily kill and eat their own babies if you give them the chance! Also, keep in mind that the stress from breeding any female animal will shorten her lifespan, and laying fertile eggs is really hard on a beardie's body.

I really hope you think long and hard about the best interest of your beardie before you go through with this.

Denduran87

Juvie Member
Jess4921":di061qe1 said:
LigerZero":di061qe1 said:
Yes I know but I want her to be a mom at least once.

I'm not trying to be mean, so don't take this the wrong way, but...
From previous posts you made, I understand that you didn't have a UVB light, and you are having issues with her eating, going to the bathroom, ect. And you are even younger than I am. I really don't think you should even consider breeding until you have everything figured out with your current dragon.
And to animals, it really doesn't matter to them whether or not they have babies or "be a mom", especially to reptiles. Heck, bearded dragons will happily kill and eat their own babies if you give them the chance! Also, keep in mind that the stress from breeding any female animal will shorten her lifespan, and laying fertile eggs is really hard on a beardie's body.

I really hope you think long and hard about the best interest of your beardie before you go through with this.
Amen!! it's not something to take lightly until you know what you are doing.

LigerZero

Original Poster
I understand that. I have had lizards in the past but not a bd. She is like a little girl. You can expect to have problems. I knew what I was getting into when I got her. For over 6-7 months I reaserched and studied bds before I was ready. I know you may be a better owner than me but I love animals and if I don't know something i will ask and find the answer. So believe me I understand the responsibility I took when I got her.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I'm not saying that you are a bad owner. I'm sure you love your girl very much. But I just don't think you should breed her. :wink:

LigerZero

Original Poster
Like ever? I thought it be cool because she is part sand fire I think one of the orange ones. But I will listen towhee you say.

Jess

Extreme Poster
If you really want to breed her, it is your decision. I don't recommend it though, for the reasons I stated above.

I'm sure she is a beautiful beardie, but that doesn't mean that she needs to be bred. Where did you get her from? Do you know anything about her bloodlines (Pedigree)?

LigerZero

Original Poster
I really don't know because I rescued her. Her eyes have orange
Stripes with orange spikes. I have decided to wait like two or three years so I'll have a job and be able to provide whats needed. I don't want to force her to mate. It will be her choice. Because I had planned on getting a male to study his behavior and see how similar and different they are. So if they do mate then great if not great. But I do want to thank you for explaining this to me so I wouldn't make a mistake and just do it. I plan to be a marine biologist but I do research herpetology. So once again thank you.

LigerZero

Original Poster
If and when she is ready to lay eggs(infertile eggs)what kind of dirt shouldni get for her burrow. I know it seem useless since there not fertile but I want her to well in a weird sense "practice". If you know what I mean. I want her to think she actually laying fertile.

LigerZero

Original Poster
I also wanted to know what are the after egglaying guidelines. I have look for them but with no luck. so I thought Id ask an expert.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Well, if you house your male and female together, they will mate. In fact, one huge reason why it is not recommended to house a m/f pair together is because the male will over breed the female, even to the point of killing her. The male I adopted used to be housed with a female, and you could tell be looking at her that the stress of living with him and breeding had really taken its toll on her, poor thing.
And since you rescued her and do not know anything about her blood lines, any recessive genes she could be carrying that might affect the babies, ect., I really don't think breeding her would be a good idea.

Whether or the eggs are fertile of not, you need to have a laying box for her. If you don't have a lay box while she is gravid, she could become egg bound. You'll need to ask another member about the specifics though, because I've only ever had male beardies. Same with the post-egg laying care.
And to a beardie, the only difference between laying fertile and infertile eggs is that the fertile eggs are a lot harder on their bodies. Whether or not the eggs are fertile, they treat them the same way.

And you're welcome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom