Hornworm breeding

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Hi!

I've decided to go on the adventure of breeding hornworms. I currently have four of them in their cocoons and husband and I are building a Manduca enclosure for when they emerge. Since I'll be using these worms for feeders, anyone know the best thing to put in their enclosure to catch eggs? Websites tell me tomato plants but that's a no-go since they're toxic to beardies. Looking for other safe options. Any guidance would be much appreciated! I am hanging a hummingbird feeder for them with store bought mix.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I don't know, but I'm going to follow this thread, it's something I've wondered about for a while.

Mushu_the_dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
I don't know, but I'm going to follow this thread, it's something I've wondered about for a while.
I spoke to an insect manager at Josh's Frogs, and he said you can use a fake plant, but he just lets them lay eggs on the screen. I've also seen people use pool noodles inside the moth enclosures, so the eggs stick to those. I just want to see if there are any other options to explore. :)

Mushu_the_dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
My husband and I built a moth enclosure for when these guys emerge! One looks like it will be very soon. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpeg
    IMG_1705.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1704.jpeg
    IMG_1704.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 30

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Good luck with that, hopefully it works out. It might not help much but I came across this guy who tried breeding hornworms for his dragons. Might be worth a look:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom