My breeding process/story

Hi everyone,

So, someone gave me the idea that it might be fun to post my story and progress in breading beardies. So here it is (I hope it's the right place the post thisšŸ˜…). First of all, English is not my first language so there might be some grammar mistakes, but I hope you all like itšŸ˜Š.

So first let me start with why I started breeding. To be honest the clutch of beardie eggs I have in the incubator right now is the first clutch of beardie eggs I have ever had. So right now, I donā€™t have any bearded dragons myself. the eggs come from my neighbor's bearded dragons. I was babysitting them because his house was being renovated. So, I donā€™t know much about their genetics. But while they were staying with me the female (Lotje) laid some eggs. Since I have some experience in breeding (this is the 3rd year breeding snakes) I have an incubator at home. right now, I am breeding just for fun (as a hobby), but my dream is to have my own reptile shop in a couple of years (with a breeding facility). So right now, besides the beardie and snake eggs I have in the incubator right now, I also have viper geckos, turtles, snakes, leopard geckos, green anoles, and a tarantula. So, Iā€™m not new to reptiles. I also work in a pet store and my education was about animals. But enough about myself back to the beardies.

First, let me give you some information about the parents. Like I said they arenā€™t mine, so I donā€™t know everything. They are named Gerrit and Lotje and are about 15 years old. They live in a terrarium that is about 200x50x50 cm (78ā€x20ā€x20ā€). They get crickets, mealworms, grasshoppers, and a variety of vegetables, which are supplemented by exo terra calcium and multivitamin powder. The lamps that are in the terrarium are:
- Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot Lamp 50 watt
- Exo Terra Daylight Basking Spot Lamp 50 watt
There also was a UVB lamp nut I donā€™t know which one it was.šŸ˜… And for the babies I still have to buy a new lamp.

The eggs were laid on 17-04-2023 and can hatch at every moment. I have 6 good eggs left. Because the parents are a little older it was a small clutch. She laid 14 eggs and 7 of them were bad. As some of you may have read one of the eggs broke a few days ago and the baby didnā€™t make it. The 6 eggs that are left look very healthy and I hope the babies also will be. The incubator is set to 29Ā°C (84.2ā„‰).

If there are any questions or tips, I would love to hear them. I will update you on the eggs that are hatching and when I have set up the terrarium for the babies.

The beardies in the picture are the parents.šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• 20230331_222040.jpg
    20230331_222040.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 120

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. šŸ˜”
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. šŸ˜“
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom