What heat Bulb wattage should I use use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How are measuring the basking spot temperature ?

If using a gun style non-contact thermometer, you are measuring the average temperature across the entire measuring spot. If some the background , which will be cooler is in the measuring area as seen by the thermometer your measurement will be incorrect and may be several degrees cooler than the actual surface temperature of the basking spot.
Measure from very close to the spot to overcome this error.

If the temperature is still under 40oC , either
--- move either the basking globe closer to the basking spot
or
--- move the basking spot closer to the basking globe
(MAKE SURE BEARDIE CAN NOT TOUCH OR REACH UP TO TOUCH / CLIMB ON THE GLOBE)
or
--- do both above
if still too cool , you need to increase your basking spot wattage to maybe 120W.

Is going to be a case of trial and error and will be highly weather dependent (if hot you will require less wattage , if cold or warm air is poorly contained in the enclosure (the Arcilles Heal of many commercial reptile tanks = screen tops) , hot air is very much more buoyant and will rise and not circulate in the tank ==> very difficult to maintain a good thermal gradient and proper basking spot temperature (fix is cover the top with a solid timber (1/2 plywood) lid)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom