UVB and basking question/help

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I upgraded to T5 arcadia 22' UVB lights/fixtures and I use a house bulb and/or basking bulbs made for reptiles. I need/want to use a lighter less wattage basking bulb since summer is coming.

My question is I see a lot of bulbs for sale but some seem to have UVB and/or UV rays. Now since I use a UVB tube already if I got a UVB/UV bulb it would be too much UVB/UV for them wouldn't it? For example I use a 150W for my Amber's enclosure atm and I'm gonna get a lower wattage for the hot summer weather. Should I use the same bulb brand (flukers) and get a lower wattage? Or should I get one with the UVB/UV bulb or does it even matter? I don't wanna give them a extra dose of UVB/UV and have it be too much for them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The thing you run into with the combo bulbs is that you need to set them at a certain distance to provide adquate UVB. That can cause problems with getting the right temp range. It's easier to control the environment the way you have it because you can set your T5 at the appropriate distance, then adjust the wattage and height of the basking bulb independently so you can get a good temp range. I suggest trying a lower wattage bulb or changing the height of the bulb (if it isn't fixed to the top of the tank) to adjust the temps for summer. You can use most wide/flood style bulbs really. I've had good luck with PAR38 halogen bulbs and BR40 incandescent bulbs of various wattages. You can usually get those at a hardware store and they're cheaper than the reptile branded basking bulbs.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The thing you run into with the combo bulbs is that you need to set them at a certain distance to provide adquate UVB. That can cause problems with getting the right temp range. It's easier to control the environment the way you have it because you can set your T5 at the appropriate distance, then adjust the wattage and height of the basking bulb independently so you can get a good temp range. I suggest trying a lower wattage bulb or changing the height of the bulb (if it isn't fixed to the top of the tank) to adjust the temps for summer. You can use most wide/flood style bulbs really. I've had good luck with PAR38 halogen bulbs and BR40 incandescent bulbs of various wattages. You can usually get those at a hardware store and they're cheaper than the reptile branded basking bulbs.
My Chubbs has a deepdome so I have had to use regular house bulbs but my Amber has a simple clamp lamp you can buy at the hardware store.

So with Amber I need a high watt bulb generally and Chubbs always needs a lower wattage. I can generally run a 28W or LED bulb for Chubbs and it gets nice and toasty in the summer.

I have been meaning to try to use flood light bulbs but they are hard to get find sometimes especially if I need a specific wattage

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom