viv door

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
I'm building a new viv and i'm doing a drop in door on the front. Needing some input on the pros and cons of glass/plexy glass.
~ Tommie

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
These are all pros/cons for using glass in a drop in door situation:

Glass Pros:

• Very clear
    Scratch Resistant
    Easy to clean

Glass Cons:

• Breakable
    Heavy

Plexi Pros:

• Light
    Flexible
    Doesn't break easily
    Somewhat easy to clean

Plexi Cons:

• Scratches easily
    Sometimes appears translucent
    Scratched sections are hard to clean

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Still have not decided what to go with lol i'm putting it of to the last thing to do before the viv its ready. Both are pretty pricey. Not only i'm I doing the front but also windows on the sides to.
~ Tommie

scm133

Juvie Member
If you can afford it, go with glass. I have glass front sliding doors, and side panels. I read other posts that stated, that they had to replace the plexi, after their beardies scratched them up. It would save you replacing them later. :roll:

unik5

scm133":9dfx0vpu said:
If you can afford it, go with glass. I have glass front sliding doors, and side panels. I read other posts that stated, that they had to replace the plexi, after their beardies scratched them up. It would save you replacing them later. :roll:

I would have to agree, the initial cost can be expensive but it is worth it. :idea: Also, go with tempered glass if you can that way it wont be so dangerous in case it happens to break as long as your beardie doesnt try to eat the pieces :shock:

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
At the request of the lady of the house looks like its gonna be plexi . We have three rowdy boys and she its scared they might throw a ball or something and brake a piece of it. :roll: lol
~ Tommie

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
You are going to regret using the Plexi, it's not going to last. If you are concerned about the boys breaking the glass you can always get shatterproof 8mm glass, it is very durable and does not scratch like the plexi does. It will cost a little more initialy but pay for itself in the long run. I use it on Jaxx's (my Ball Pythons) enclosure and have never had any issues with it at all. And with that glass I was able to have concave finger tabs etched into it so it is easy to slide and I don't have to put my fingers on the glass to get it dirty.
100_4402.jpg

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Have not seem shatter proof glass. Did you have to go to a glass shop to get it?

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, I went to a glass place to get it. Just ask them for 8mm glass, that will suit you perfectly for you enclosure setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom