Vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Hey,
I'm gonna make this quick since I have to go somewhere. I just gave Ollie a bath & let him run around. He hasn't pooped in over a week. What should I do? I don't want to take him to the vet. He eats everything he usually does. :(

nicksmom

How old is he / what is his length?
What is included in his daily diet?
What substrate do you have him on?
Are the temps right?
How often does he get baths?

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He's 3 years old and about 2 feet long.
I feed him mealworms, waxworms, crickets, carrots, collard greens, and zucchini.
He's on Astroturf.
The temps seem OK to me but I wonder what they should be for a 3-year-old. 95 degrees, right?
Also, I give him a bath not very often, maybe once a week or every 2 weeks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
95 is the bare minimum temperature required for digestion. I would bump it up to the 97-99 range if you can.
Since Ollie is impacted, I would stop with the mealworms for now and switch to a soft bodied feeder, or just keep with the crickets.

Bump up the baths to every day for 15-20 minutes. While he is in there, massage his tummy.
I don't think a vet trip will be necessary. Usually impactions are able to be cleared with some TLC and some small changes to living conditions.

-Brandon

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Sometimes dragons like to make you worry, so don't panic too much immediately.
You might want to try the mineral oil and applesauce trick if in doubt. :)
As Brandon says, some nice long baths - get him hydrated. If you're able, keep the water running (make sure it doesn't get too hot!) or use an aquarium pump to make the water move - moving water encourages pooping too, because a stream washes away evidence of beardie ;)

Snarf

Hatchling Member
I comply agree with the above. What I would say is what I definitely found worked when it seemed like Eddie wasn't passing a passion was massage the stomach but also put light pressure and move from the stomach down to the vent to help peristalsis.

Another thing in which I find is to (not often but perhaps once ever few days) to feed a little bit of tomato or bell pepper or something fairly high in water content to help flush through.

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Alright, thanks guys. He's in a bath and has been in it for about 25 mins.

EDIT: He just pooped in the bath. Disgusting, but I'm relieved. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom