uvb that important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
It is 100% necessary, they get MBD without it which means their bones are deformed and twisted and they suffer a lot. You have to use UVB for the dragon to be able to use the calcium powder.

The best one is the ReptiSun 10.0 tube, don't use a coil bulb, you could also use a mercury vapor bulb which is heat and light combined. You can get an under counter fluorescent light fixture for $10 at Walmart and the bulbs are cheaper online. Also I don't know how you house your dragons but they often don't do well when housed together. Good luck!

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
And let's go a step further and say what KIND of UVB: You either need the Reptisun 10.0 TUBE or there is another one - someone help me out- I think it is called Arcadia? You can mount your Reptisun bulb in the cheap under cabinet fixture that Walmart sells for about $8.00. Also, a cheap place to buy this very important bulb is petmountain.com. Check them out.

You don't want ANY other brands and you don't want the CFL 'curly bulb'. The Reptisun 10.0 is the ONLY one known to not injure their eyes and give the proper UVB. It also needs to be mounted inside the viv, and your Beardie needs to be able to get close to it ( like between 6-8 inches). No lens over the bulb - it keeps the UVB from getting to the Beardie. Others (like Jess) have written guidelines that are published on this board. Also, there is a section called "Lighting", read it. Be aware that your Reptisun 10 .0 bulb will need to be changed out every 6 months. The bulb will still light, but at that point, it is no longer giving off the proper UVB (you cannot see UVB) for the Beardie. Hope this helps!

INReptiles

Hatchling Member
I think a 36" would be good for a 75 gallon, just make sure it is no more than 8 inches away from the basking site.

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
yeah, 36 inch would be good. 3M Command strips work well for sticking the light up on the glass :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom