Thinking of breeding??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Standing ovation for Tom!!!

I must say the number of children breeding is sickening to me. This is aimed at no one in particular, but the rather large number of the under 18 crowd that suddenly think they can make a quick buck stickin two dragons together. The time alone required to care for potentially a hundred babies is astronomical! How do they think they can juggle school, social life, and a hundred teensy tiny babies?! Then there's the money issue. I see people posting one day that they can't afford to care for the dragons they have and then the next they have new dragons and are breeding them! Has common sense really disappeared? It sure seems like it around here some days!

sparky5969

Hatchling Member
It is great to see this thread re-opened, I think it should be a sticky. So many people are just breeding for s*** and giggles with no regard to the animals health thinking they are going to make all kinds of money. Then when you try to help them and explain what should be done they take offense because its not what they want to hear.

Again Great Post Tom...... Maybe a MOD can make it a sticky

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Done.
Hey Tom
Would you consider writing an article for breeding? I don't think we have one of those yet.You might even want to collaborate with a few other people and see what you can put together.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks for making this a sticky.
I would like to see this thread continue on as a discussion, being as its a topic near and dear to my heart so to speak.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok now we have 3 threads merged as one. I am hopeful this will help educate and open the floor for some good discussion.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Ok My thread MY soapbox...lol
I want to commend some people that I have been helping with rescues and just some general care issues, both on here and privately. What I am finding especcially this time of year is ALOT of malnourished overbred females that have about a 25% survival rate right now, or over dominated males that just where not ready to meet a female that are almost in shell shick...lol. Im going to preach this over and over and over. RESEARCH<RESEARCH<REASEARCH!!!!! please ,please know what the hell you are doing when you put 2 dragons together. It really isnt a lets see what happens thing. Do a search on housing 2 dragons together on just this site, and see what comes up. Let alone a google search.

annenadi

I have eggs at the moment but not by choice and the stress of it is awful we took 2 males in that a kid had got when they were small n cute then when they grew didnt like so were stuck in a spare room with some food thrown in so we took them in and after help on here we separated them as they were "fighting" then 6 months later ralph laid eggs talk about heart attack we ended up loosing them all but she has just laid 21 yesterday so fingers crossed for these and im just hoping these are the last ones i thought we were going to loose her but this time she looks better so anyone out there that thinks its easy dont be fooled you could end up loosing your female please please listen to the people on here that know what they are talking about

joshjtd

This thread is awesome. I think that a lot of folks don't take these types of posts seriously as they think breeders are trying to keep them from "invading their turf" so to speak.

Anyone can put a male and a female together to get a pregnancy. It take a certain type of person to dedicate the HUGE amount of time and money to produce healthy dragons.

As someone who just got into breeding, I can say that a lot of research was done. I had asked quetsions along the way and still ask questions as they come up. After the research was done, I commited to breeding and spent the money to start the process. Beings that I dont have eggs yet, my costs are not over but I can tell you that it is not cheap to start.

I have been to tons of breeders sites to see what they offer and to get an idea of how pricing goes. From my inital research, it appears that your first few clutches, you are selling to make back what you had invested. The return on investment does not appear to come until a much later date. I would much rather see my animals go to homes where they will be loved and well cared for, not homes that line my pockets with money.

The reason I have begun breeding is for the love of the species. To be able to share my passion for dragons with others. If I take a loss while doing this, then so be it.

Long story short, please listen to Tom. He speaks wisdom.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Ann caring for gravid females is very important as you see it can take them down quickly laying clutch after clutch. If your female isn't bouncing back you might want to try some liquid calcium as it is more accurate in the dosing, easier, and faster to absorb. :wink: Egg laying females require alot of TLC.
Anyone can put a male and a female together to get a pregnancy. It take a certain type of person to dedicate the HUGE amount of time and money to produce healthy dragons.
So true, keywords "healthy dragons." It takes more dedication than many seem to understand...it's very good to see that you understood this before you began. :wink:
The reason I have begun breeding is for the love of the species. To be able to share my passion for dragons with others. If I take a loss while doing this, then so be it.
LIKE!
thumbsupup.gif

annenadi

The first time she look really bad and i really thought we would loose her but she had nothing she needed with us thinking she was a male we had no idea until she had laid them and then no idea what to do with her but she has just laid another 21 eggs and looked so much better this time once she had a bath and a feed but we had no idea the first time but with help off here and plenty of reading this time she did really well. None of the eggs were any good first time and it looks the same this time which im not really bothered about because i dont think i could part with them all though 1 would have been nice. I dont know how you breader cope its so stressful from the moment she starts digging its just a worry i just hope mine does not keep laying them every year now. A big thank you goes out to all the people on here that take there time to answer questions and give advice because i dont know what i would do with out it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom