Thinking of breeding??

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissa102787

Hatchling Member
This is my first year breeding, however I have kept beardies for years. Not sure if I will ever breed again. I spend a lot of money on the 5 I have. And these babies, I have already spent quit a bit of money and they are not even hatched! ( Mostly due to the extra habitats I have in case I need to separate small/submissive ones and end up keeping some of the babes). My husband thinks I'm obsessive but he loves us anyways :D

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
TheWolfmanTom":3nwxgfep said:
Its about pride in a job well done.

Excellent thread Tom. I am wondering how many people who have read this post, and the many others like it, only to find themselves in over their head. The cricket shortage/roach surge in price will be the unforeseen market variable to many who thought they had this figured out. To add in the cratering price of dragons will be the final blow, imho. In the end it will be the "love of dragons" that wins the day.

You got to love the job that you pay money to work at.

Jeff Crider

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I have to add something here and it is just a rant because of recent events but I would like to point out to those who are considering breeding that it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you have emergency vet care available for these babies.Beardies are not disposable assets so should one become ill or injured it is your responsiblity to take care of them even if that means it puts you in the red.I am so sick of hearing about little tiny babies being pushed to the wayside to die miserably because someone is too cheap or inconsiderate to do the right thing.I recommend that anyone who wants to breed have at least 2-3 vets available to call in case of emergency and if you dont then dont breed because ALL living things great and small deserve to be treated with respect and care not just as an ATM!

Ok I am done :silent:

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
You missed my earlier rant about how certain people should be in jail for animal neglect/ cruelty. If these were dogs or cats, they would be facing fines and possible jail time, etc, but noooo they are "just" lizards. And the people who supposedly care soooo much about these animals that they want to "better the species" allow these precious creatures to suffer and die horrible deaths or in the "best case" will humanely euthanize the animal because this is easier and cheaper than getting the poor thing treated! I am obviously not referring to all breeders, but I think we can figure out the people of whom I am speaking!

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
I LOVE this thread Tom! I have been breeding for 8 years and I can't tell you how many people I meet that want to breed and first question out of their mouths is asking how much profit I make!! None!! My hubby can attest to that!!! We constantly spend more than we make on just food and supplies! They need better cages, we need to research products, building racks, buying crickets, etc. etc.!! We do it for the love of the animal and nothing more!

spyder79

Extreme Poster
There are even big breeders that should not be in the game. I met one today at a expo that is apparently so inattentive she did not even know she had babies that had been nipped. Made a poor child cry because she sold his father a dragon that had three legs and was bleeding profusely due to having just had the leg bitten off.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Just throwing out a breeding statistic.
Gemini was bred to my guy Dozer 1 time about 7 months ago.
She has just finnished laying Her 6th clutch. None of this last clutch where fertile.
Total numbers 140 eggs. 117 fertile 23 slugs.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
TheWolfmanTom":jmunyh2z said:
Just throwing out a breeding statistic.
Gemini was bred to my guy Dozer 1 time about 7 months ago.
She has just finnished laying Her 6th clutch. None of this last clutch where fertile.
Total numbers 140 eggs. 117 fertile 23 slugs.

That is one potent male haha

ATLBeardedDragons

Juvie Member
AMEN! Very Well said. Its very underestimated, especially to a first time breeder or average Beardie enthusiast. Thats why us ("Bearded Dragon Breeders") are a small "breed" ourselves b/c not many people want to deal with all of the work & committment. In the end, if you love Beardies like we do, its worth it. But sometimes $$$$ wise, its not. :angry5:

http://www.AtlantaBeardedDragons.com

sincerely,
:blob5: ABD :blob8:

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Spyder that is an awful situation. I think if I was there I would have lost it. I just got back from attending an Expo and I saw about 20 hatchlings in a very shallow deli style container. The top was foggy. I asked them if they could put the babies in something that was not so humid and they said no people will steal them. I started to do the math to see if I could afford to buy them all. I couldn't but I bought about 10 of them. I then took them to my local pet store (nice people and they listen to me) I sold them to her for less than I bought them for. But I knew that this way they would be in good hands until they each were chosen. I personally just didn't have space to keep them as real estate in my closet is hard to come by! I had one girl lay 7 clutches this year. The last one still in the inc. So yes the most common phrase heard in this house these days is "when are you coming out of that room?" or "where's mom" "she's in her closet!" We only had 3 females lay this year and it was a full time job. I am lucky because I have the time and children who love animals too. But I just want to cry every time someone post on craigslist "our pet beardies accidently had babies" really I guess you accidently bought a hovabator and accidently hatched them! Sorry I think I just ranted too...

theguy67

I was going to breed my pair ( after 3 years of breeding leos) and was really excited, but I am not because it seems that people are ashamed of someone like me who would want to breed their lizard.

and for finding homes,....there are plenty of places to sell for wholesale.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
theguy67":38g0zf6w said:
I was going to breed my pair ( after 3 years of breeding leos) and was really excited, but I am not because it seems that people are ashamed of someone like me who would want to breed their lizard.

and for finding homes,....there are plenty of places to sell for wholesale.

Not sure im following your thinking here.
This thread is mainly about what your getting into by breeding dragons. At least thats my original intent. Ive felt a wide range of feelings about people Ive met over the years who have bred or attempted to breed. Ashamed isnt on that list of feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom