The adventures of Ares

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering, is it safe to give new dragons kids pedialyte to rehydrate them? I want keep my dragon has heathy as i can when I get him, and he is a juvenile, like 4.5 to 5 inches. thanks.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yep, there's no getting around it, he needs the protein to grow and you have to give it to him. His diet should be 80% bugs and 20% salad at this point, that will only change when he's over a year old. I fed mine daily until they were 2 as they grew another inch long in their 2nd year and gained their adult weight. Once they were 2, they were eating only about 30-50 bugs a week, the rest salad. So you still have a ways to go, but once he's a year old you won't have to feed him so often, just once a day & not as many bugs as he won't be growing as much.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Mealworms aren't all that nutritious. I'd use phoenix worms instead if you can. Once she hits about 40-41cm or so she'll be big enough for superworms.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Mealworms are not recommended as they have a hard chitin shell and are hard for beardies to digest and as mentioned have little nutritional value. Beardies can impact eating mealies

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do understand this. I read a back room article on mealworms vrs. superworms. I was hoping to feed mealworms for 2 reasons. 1. Mealworms are cheaper then repti-worms and you don't have to pay shipping. 2. I already feed repti-worms, and was hoping for more variety in his diet. Right now he is being fed crickets, repti-worms and salad. I feel like he needs more variety. Kind of like if you ate only quinoa and chicken or beef or what have you, and ate salad. You would get pretty tired of that, even though it is healthy. I just thought of another reason. If I have an emergency, then mealworms are another foodstuff I can just run up to petsmart for. On this note, anyone have good articles on raising silkworms? I have a mulberry tree in my back yard, and was considering raising silkworms. Seriously people, I am barely staying on top of buying food for him. I'm only 17. So I'm really looking hard for a cheaper option in feeding. Yes, I did understand that this wouldn't be cheap or easy for the first months, but his eating is getting out of control. Do you get what I'm saying?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Mealworms are not an option to feed him at any time, the reason is more than it's not nutritonal for him, it's the chance of impaction, meaning your dragon might not digest them well & can cause their digestion system to get blocked. I've never found it worth the risk. There are no worms, except super worms that are cheap. You can feed him superworms once he's 16" long or a bit longer. You can get silkworm eggs from www.silkworms.ca or www.mulberryfarms.com. Mulberry leaves are their natural food, so that would work well for you. Here's what I found on raising silkworms:

Newly hatched silkworms must be maintained at warm temperatures (78-85 degrees) or they will not grow and will usually die. We recommend incubators (see below for more details on incubators and keeping them warm). Once the silkworms reach about 3/4 inch long (after about 10 to 12 days from the time they hatch) they are past the critical stage and can be rasied at somewhat lower temperatures - but it is best to keep them warm thru all stages if you want them to grow quickly and remain healthy.

How long after I receive my order of silkworm eggs will they hatch?
The silkworm eggs will generally hatch within a week after they arrive if kept between 78 and 85 degrees (eggs take longer to hatch at cooler temperatures).

What do I need to do to hatch the eggs?
Try to keep them consistently between 78 and 85 degrees. They will hatch at a somewhat lower temperature but it will take longer (and the newly hatched worms will not grow and be healthy unless they are maintained at warm temperatures). WE RECOMMEND USING AN INCUBATOR IF POSSIBLE. (See picture and info below.)

Are the eggs guaranteed to hatch?
Yes, if cared for properly. The hatch rate is usually about 90-95% (or higher), but do not be alarmed if you end up with significantly fewer worms than eggs because some of the worms get covered up by a thin invisible layer of silk that silkworms are constantly placing down. Also it is normal for some worms to die at the earliest stage after hatching (especially if they are overcrowded or environment is not ideal). If you want to maximize the number of worms you get from a given number of eggs, no more than 500 eggs should be hatched out in each petri dish (200 eggs per petri dish is ideal for maximum number of worms to eggs hatched). If you place about 200 eggs in each LARGE petri dish for hatching, you will end up with a higher percentage of worms to eggs than with a higher number of eggs per dish -- as long as temperatures remain warm and other environmental/feeding needs are met.

Silkworm eggs in lots of 200, 500 and 1,000 come glued down in a large petri dish. Silkworm eggs purchased in "bulk" lots will come loose in a petri dish, and will not be glued down. (When ordering "bulk" eggs be sure and order extra LARGE petri dishes for hatching out your eggs!)

Can the eggs be refrigerated to delay hatching?
Silkworm eggs should not be refrigerated UNLESS they are shipped using Overnight delivery with an ice pack and styrofoam box (purchased separately). Upon arrival the eggs should be placed immediately into your refrigerator and maintained between 35 to 37 degrees Fahrenheit (with 70 to 80% humidity). Then they can be stored in your refrigerator for over 1 month and they will hatch about 8 to 10 days after removal (if maintained at around 80 degrees).

Why there does not appear to be as many silkworm eggs in the petri dish as indicated on the petri dish?
We have checked, double and triple checked our method of dispensing silkworm eggs into the petri dishes and there is always more eggs in the petri dish than what the customer ordered (even though there may not appear to be as many as there actually are). Try counting them, then you will be convinced (we have)! See picture of 1000 eggs.

What do silkworms eat?
Silkworms only eat mulberry leaves and/or artificial silkworm diet (Silkworm Chow). If you are going to feed the newly hatched silkworms mulberry leaves instead of Silkworm Chow be sure and only feed them the new growth (tiny 1/2 to 1 inch leaves) or they will not be able to eat them because their jaws are too weak. Place only one tiny new leaf in the petri dish until it is completely eaten. Then repeat at least once a day until they are large enough to eat the larger leaves. Once they taste mulberry leaves it is difficult to get them to eat Silkworm Chow. Some customers that have mulberry trees raise them on Silkworm Chow until the worms are large enough to eat the tougher mulberry leaves. The worms will readily switch from Silkworm Chow to mulberry. Most customers do not have a mulberry tree and therefore raise their silkworms year around on only Silkworm Chow.

Help! I'm out of silkworm food! What can I do?
Silkworms only eat mulberry leaves and/or artificial silkworm diet (Silkworm Chow). However, IN AN EMERGENCY they MAY eat carrot (wash raw, unpeeled carrots and grate for smaller silks or thinly slice or cut into thin sticks for bigger silks) for up to a few days and give you a chance to find another source of mulberry leaves or Silkworm Chow. Note that feeding carrot to your silkworms may turn them a bit orange.

What is the ideal setup and what do I need in order to raise silkworms?
The most critical period in their life is during their first week after they hatch. The most common cause of failure is due to improper temperature. We recommend using an incubator (see incubator information at bottom of this page), especially during their first week or two. (Please see information at bottom of page on how to keep your silkworm eggs/silkworms warm without using an incubator.) After about 2 weeks in an incubator - when they have outgrown the petri dish - you can then remove the worms from the peril dish and all you need is a large plastic, cardboard or glass container and a heat source to keep them warm. Continue feeding either mulberry leaves or Silkworm Chow until they reach the desired size.

Do silkworms need any substrate?
No. The remaining leftover food (after each feeding) dries and forms a substrate that the worms cling to and they will even lay down a thin layer of silk over the surface to help anchor them.

How fast do silkworms grow?
If you maintain them at about 85 degrees (and feed them all they can eat) you can raise them up to about 1 inch in 12 to 14 days. You can grow them up to 2 inches in 3 weeks and over 3 inches in just 4 weeks. They receive all their water and nutrients from the chow. Complete instructions are below.

What is the ideal temp?
78 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit

How many silkworms can I raise from 1 pound of silkworm chow?
It takes about 1 lb of prepared chow to raise up 20-25 silkworms through their entire life cycle. You can raise up to 1000 silkworms to about 1-1/2 inches long on the amount of food made from 1 pound of powdered chow (or about 100 silkworms to full size, ready to cocoon). Each pound makes 4 pounds of ready to feed Chow. Our powdered Silkworm Chow is prepackaged in 1/2 pound bags (unless ordered in bulk).

How long can the chow be stored?
The powdered chow can be stored for at least 6 months in the refrigerator and the prepared chow that you make from the powdered Chow is good fore about 1 month in the refrigerator if kept airtight.

Can I switch silkworms from chow to mulberry leaves?
Yes, they will switch eagerly to mulberry leaves. It is more difficult to switch them from mulberry leaves back to chow, but it can be done if you remove the worms from all traces of mulberry and then offer them the Silkworm Chow. They will usually start eating the Chow within 48 hours, but only if there are no mulberry leaves, stems or branches present.

How long does it take to prepare the powdered chow?
About 5 minutes in a microwave oven. Silkworm Chow can also be prepared on a stovetop but it tends to burn easier unless you stir continuously. A double boiler works better if you use your stovetop, but microwaveing is the preferred method.

Will silkworms spin cocoons?
They are easier to raise to the cocoon stage using mulberry leaves, but many customers are successful raising them to the cocoon stage on Silkworm Chow alone (as long as you keep them warm and keep the food and your hands CLEAN!!!). Cocooning can begin in as little as 28 days (from the time hatched) if they are raised at approx. 85 degree, fed regularly and maintained in a clean environment (WASH HANDS FREQUENTLY).

I know a few people who have raised silkworms and they've found it great, as their dragon loved them. So it's something you can try. You'll have to look up the costs & shipping from either company. They both sell silkworm eggs. Hope that helps!

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks, it does. i wonder what size he would eat? He's 32 cm now. My big little boy! :love5: Probably 2 to 3 week old ones?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Not sure, but any size at his size would be fine. Silkworms are very soft worms, so great for him, too. Let me know how that goes, k?

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello world! I'm going to try to go off the grid with feeding. Breeding my own superworms, crickets, reptiworms and in the future see if i can breed silks! Wish me luck and any advice from people who have tried this would be great.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You should post in the Feeders section to see if anyone has done that & can help you with it. It's worth raising your own feeders, that's for sure!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
wilddragons16":3twbufva said:
Hello world! I'm going to try to go off the grid with feeding. Breeding my own superworms, crickets, reptiworms and in the future see if i can breed silks! Wish me luck and any advice from people who have tried this would be great.

Silks (so far) have been easier than I expected, and I wasn't planning to breed them. I had some of my worms pupate in their cup (a couple even crawled off to build cocoons in my dragons enclosure) so I collected them up and left them on top the cage. The moths emerged not long after, they bred and laid eggs. I didn't expect the eggs to hatch so quick (or at all, I just left them on the cage too) but this morning I noticed little squiggly worms! (I think it was 1-2 weeks from laying the eggs, some of the moths are still alive). Hopefully I can raise them up, not sure though since I haven't been super careful about cleaning my hands with them.

Good luck going sustainable! Bugs are turning out to be a hobby of their own. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom