Tank vs Custom Enclosure. What do you have? Post pics please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I prefer custom enclosures. Mostly for size and access, but also I want something that look like furniture because they are in my living room. I've not seen a front opening tank that's big enough for my liking, and I am really short so its a hassle to reach into a top opening tank. It's nice to have the solid walls to attach things too and not have to cover up as much window. I also prefer a solid top - heat is trapped better without so much screen and let's my enclosure serve as a table/stand.

The draw backs I've experienced:
Unless you get a pvc enclosure, wood/melamine is heavy. My wood enclosures take two people to move and weigh a lot (75-100lb+)
Glass is expensive and acrylic scratches easier.
A solid top limits options for height, so adjusting basking lights and uvb isn't as easy as a screen top.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the input tater. I was really thinking about building an enclosure but I decided against it. My guy is back in the 40, stress issues and maintainence. I'd rather sacrifice a little space for things being setup correctly. It site perfectly on this little side table I have. So it looks pretty good imo

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. It works fine & serves its purpose well. If money wasn't a concern I'd probably go with a front opening PVC custom vivarium that was 48"x 24"x18". Undecided if I'd want sliders or a drop down hinge opening. But I'm content w/my tank for the sake of my marriage. Lol!! Hubby is not fond of the beardie or the money I spend on her.
80462-4418304777.jpg

Your tank looks very nice & inviting for your beardie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom