Tail rot plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes the pic showed up. :) It looks like an uneven shed, if so it's nothing to worry about. But keep an eye on it + come back if you think it looks worse or if it sheds + you see any type of lesions or wounds.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree, it's a bunch of stuck shed. About 3 or so months ago I adopted a then 10 month old male from a family who couldn't afford to take care of him, and he never had any UVB light at all; I have no idea what his basking light was or if his temps were ever correct, he had severe MBD, and was fed only mealworms. And what I first noticed when I saw him was his skin/scales and his color. He was almost a year old and he looked like he hadn't shed. Ever. He had a build-up of dull, lifeless scales and skin that made him look 100 years old.

I had no experience with this at all, so I did some research and found out that beardies who are not provided proper lighting, temperatures, diet, and nutritional supplements actually stop shedding because they're not growing properly. As a result their skin ends up like his. Your beardie doesn't look nearly as bad, but he definitely needs to shed, and he will after getting appropriate care from you. My boy finally did a full body shed last month, but he did it literally one little patch at a time, and it took all month. He had retained shed or "old shed" similar to your dragon's tail on his head. It just took a month or so of proper lighting, diet, 10 minute soaks every other day, and growth to get it going.

Now your guy obviously had a tail nip, probably from being housed with another beardie, so you'll want to be sure to closely watch the end of his tail as well as the area above the stuck shed. If the end of his tail where the nip is starts to look at all infected, or starts to turn black and that blackness starts to move up his tail even a little bit, you need to get him to an experienced reptile vet ASAP, because that's tail rot, and it's an infection that will continue to spread up his tail, killing the tissue behind it, and eventually making him extremely sick. His nip looks pretty good so it's most likely not going to be an issue, but just be aware of it.

The only harm the stuck shed can bring is if it's all the way around the diameter of his tail, and it starts to cut off the circulation in his tail below it, causing that area to become necrotic, turn black, and die. Again, I highly doubt he'll have that issue at all, just be aware of it. It should eventually just come off itself as he sheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom