Tail rot? Maybe crappy shed?

My bearded dragon of 6 years, Aero, has a concerning looking tail. She shed recently, but the shed wasn't the smoothest she's ever had. I've been giving her plenty of long baths recently to help with anything left over, but the tail just looks weird. I'm not sure if it's just a crappy shed, or if it's tail rot. Just in case, I've been giving her the aforementioned long baths to help with a possible crappy shed, and I've been soaking her tail in diluted betadine and then applying Neosporin (original, no pain relief) after it dries.

She also hasn't been acting weird, she's energetic, has a healthy appetite, normal bowel movement schedule, always has a happy orange beard, and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or in pain if I touch the weird part of her tail. She hasn't had any tail injuries in the past few years. And she's housed alone, so there's nobody to nip at her tail. She has a diet of squash, dandelion greens, a little strawberry, sometimes a little apple, superworms, etc.

It hasn't been very long, so the betadine probably wouldn't be able to show quick results. But I was wondering if this is tail rot, and for any advice you guys might have.

The tail looks shiny in the photos because of the Neosporin.

Attachments

• IMG_0697 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0697 - Copy.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0698 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0698 - Copy.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 64

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon of 6 years, Aero, has a concerning looking tail. She shed recently, but the shed wasn't the smoothest she's ever had. I've been giving her plenty of long baths recently to help with anything left over, but the tail just looks weird. I'm not sure if it's just a crappy shed, or if it's tail rot. Just in case, I've been giving her the aforementioned long baths to help with a possible crappy shed, and I've been soaking her tail in diluted betadine and then applying Neosporin (original, no pain relief) after it dries.

She also hasn't been acting weird, she's energetic, has a healthy appetite, normal bowel movement schedule, always has a happy orange beard, and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or in pain if I touch the weird part of her tail. She hasn't had any tail injuries in the past few years. And she's housed alone, so there's nobody to nip at her tail. She has a diet of squash, dandelion greens, a little strawberry, sometimes a little apple, superworms, etc.

It hasn't been very long, so the betadine probably wouldn't be able to show quick results. But I was wondering if this is tail rot, and for any advice you guys might have.

The tail looks shiny in the photos because of the Neosporin.
Is the tail wet? I need ahbd to look
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The tail doesn't look dried or shriveled up. How long has it looked off?
When was the last time she shed her tail?
I would continue with a few baths & you can use aloe vera gel or coconut oil to help with moisture
on the tail. Is there any discoloration on the underneath side at all?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Not tail rot, lots of dragons get very dark tails just like that which is frightening if you've never seen it before. Sometimes it's just mood but it's def. not tail rot.

rockaedward

Original Poster
Hello,

The tail doesn't look dried or shriveled up. How long has it looked off?
When was the last time she shed her tail?
I would continue with a few baths & you can use aloe vera gel or coconut oil to help with moisture
on the tail. Is there any discoloration on the underneath side at all?

Tracie
I didn't think to look under her tail, but now that I did it looks like it's just a stuck shed. I'm going to give her another bath today and use some coconut oil to help get it off.

Attachments

• IMG_0699 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0699 - Copy.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 49

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it does look like shed but so many of them seem to have some type of trouble shedding
their tails. You can use coconut oil or aloe vera gel to help with moisture. It will eventually shed
off.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom