T8 question - Updated with new light pics - did I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":1ijoapn7 said:
Sales policy get the NOOBs to return to upgrade to that stronger 10%UVB or higher tube would be my guess.

That's a disturbing thought, but I'm afraid that you're probably right. :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well bearded dragons aren't the only reptile out there ha ;)
The 5.0 t5 is plenty suitable for many many creatures. Bearded dragons have quite high uv requirements when compared to other commonly kept creatures.

The 5.0 is actually a suitable bulb for dragons too depending on the distance it is in the tank. For instance, if someone started off with a smaller tank but didnt want to buy a new fixture when they upgraded their tank, they could use the 5.0 t5 in their first tank. Once they upgrade they can simply switch to the 10.0.

Many choices, it's up to the consumer to do their research and pick the appropriate option for your specific setup.

-Brandon

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1qpnrqa1 said:
Well bearded dragons aren't the only reptile out there ha ;)
The 5.0 t5 is plenty suitable for many many creatures. Bearded dragons have quite high uv requirements when compared to other commonly kept creatures.

The 5.0 is actually a suitable bulb for dragons too depending on the distance it is in the tank. For instance, if someone started off with a smaller tank but didnt want to buy a new fixture when they upgraded their tank, they could use the 5.0 t5 in their first tank. Once they upgrade they can simply switch to the 10.0.

Many choices, it's up to the consumer to do their research and pick the appropriate option for your specific setup.

-Brandon
Thanks Brandon, this is what I was trying to get at since it was already determined that we don't have the depth in our current tank to get her the 12" away from a 10.0 or 12.0.
I think I also saw a 7.0, but that was after I ordered the 6.0.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, hopefully this is my final light check (for this tank at least)! ;)

(Please ignore the mess, it's tank cleaning day but wanted to get the light all situated first)

T5 Arcadia 6.0 bulb:
From bottom of bulb to top of her head is about 5 1/2 inches (at this sitting position).
Bottom of bulb to base of her tail is about 9.75 inches.

Suggestions or approvals??

108070-3810154838.jpg
108070-928160246.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If your offering a gradient under the UVB you should be ok-- I am not familiar w/ the 6% bulb so it being half of what a 12% would be 6-8 inches I am thinking is a T 8- some more experienced on here w/ those bulbs can answer better than I
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Gradient as in temp, or as in uvb distance range?
I think I'm doing both but not totally sure.

The issue were having now is that the tube uvb gets hotter than I realized, and she's moving closer to it to get into the right temp (at least that's what I think).
Last night I had a dream she got burned. :(

So, looks like we need a lower watt basking bulb. Feel free to recommend a specific one, because I realized what we have is much more yellow than the white light of the uvb.

108070-1625965950.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Gradient temp means she has different places to sit for different temps -- this piece of decor is an example https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971 if you lay this piece w/ the bigger trunk laying upward not the stick part but that part laying on the floor it will give her places to sit lay and stand against offering different heat temps-- your UVB should not be giving off heat or not much heat -- mine is warm but it doesnt make me jerk away as if it is too hot -- you want a bright white basking bulb --- something like this https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5058479
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That's the exact bulb we have, but we have a 150 to get through that thick Thrive screen I posted about.
It is not white at all, look at my pic.
Now with the heat from the uvb it's too much and she has been gaping and laying on the floor.
The uvb definitely puts out heat - not like the amount of a basking but obviously warm enough to put the temp too high for her liking.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Gaping is good she's thermoglating or adjusting her body temp- that is normal- basking bulb we normally recommend a bright white-- you want your basking temps 95-110 for adult
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So now I'm just wondering what a 'good/typical' amount of time is for a dragon to spend under their uvb?
Ever since we put in her new light, she spends way less time under the uvb, making me wonder if something is still not totally set up right.
She used to spend the majority of her time on her mountain, right under the uvb, now she spends most of her time on the floor ??‍♀️ and ventures to the cool side (completely out of uvb range) several times a day when she used to rarely go over there.
Her eating and pooping is great, she seems like her usual self except for this difference in position/movement around the tank, I just want to double-check things so I don't end up missing a sign that something needs to be adjusted

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I run a photoperiod of 14 hours for all my skinks and dragons ( is winter here ) and my dragons and skinks are still awake and basking most days and wanting food too..
In summer I bump it up to 15 to 16 hours.

This doesn't mean they spend the entire day basking, though the dragons will bask for several hours at a time.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
We run a photoperiod of 12-14 hours year round for our beardie, depending on our schedule. We're currently getting 19 hours of daylight with only twilight at solar midnight -- no total darkness until late summer around August. The tank is near the largest window in the house, so supposedly our beardie knows that it's light outside even when his heat lamps are off. But he's been napping during the day anyway.

I would suppose that they spend enough time basking to get the heat and UV that they need, then go somewhere cooler. That's why you set up their enclosure so that they have a choice. My guess would be that if you swap your lamp for one that provides more UV, then they wouldn't need to spend as much time basking in order to get enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom