New Here

Rico

Beardie name(s)
Rico
Hi Everyone.

I’m new here. Not new to beardies, but it’s been awhile. Had a tragic accident with a previous rescue 4 year old. Took me some time to rescue another. Her name is Rico (he was actually a she as of three weeks ago).

The pic is my setup at the moment. Using a Powersun Uv heat bulb and Fluker’s fixture rated for 160w. It’s about 12” from basking spot
(Which was a great find years ago - outside and some put a base on it). Flukers fixtures are known for wiring issues. Thinking about changing to lower wattage heat bulb and separate uv on other side. I know probably a T8, just not sure where to put it as the cooler side is about 3 inches high (around 15-16” below top). Temps are 105 on hot side and about 70 on cooler side.
I think I spoiled her on bugs (they gave her mostly freeze-dried bugs and vitamins). They did give her greens. So I have a vitamin issue also. Doesn’t drink water even if I drop it on her head. She’s sleeping a lot. And one eye is open half of the time.
Took to vet last week. Fecal showed more parasites then they would like to see, so gave her a vaccination. Otherwise looked ok. She did go to sleep in her hide for about three days before my vet said to wake her.
Sorry so long, have lots of questions.
Thanks. Pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_4128.jpeg
    IMG_4128.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4132.jpeg
    IMG_4132.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4133.jpeg
    IMG_4133.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4131.jpeg
    IMG_4131.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 26

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Everyone.

I’m new here. Not new to beardies, but it’s been awhile. Had a tragic accident with a previous rescue 4 year old. Took me some time to rescue another. Her name is Rico (he was actually a she as of three weeks ago).

The pic is my setup at the moment. Using a Powersun Uv heat bulb and Fluker’s fixture rated for 160w. It’s about 12” from basking spot
(Which was a great find years ago - outside and some put a base on it). Flukers fixtures are known for wiring issues. Thinking about changing to lower wattage heat bulb and separate uv on other side. I know probably a T8, just not sure where to put it as the cooler side is about 3 inches high (around 15-16” below top). Temps are 105 on hot side and about 70 on cooler side.
I think I spoiled her on bugs (they gave her mostly freeze-dried bugs and vitamins). They did give her greens. So I have a vitamin issue also. Doesn’t drink water even if I drop it on her head. She’s sleeping a lot. And one eye is open half of the time.
Took to vet last week. Fecal showed more parasites then they would like to see, so gave her a vaccination. Otherwise looked ok. She did go to sleep in her hide for about three days before my vet said to wake her.
Sorry so long, have lots of questions.
Thanks. Pics below.
Welcome to the forum--- how are you getting surface basking temps? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate -- they should be 95-100 for surface and 100 or so ambient - cool side 80ish during the day - night 65-75 --- the PowerSun is a good bulb but for heat mainly- on top of the screen the UVB is being blocked by 30% or so - I recommend setting up another UVB there are 3 recommended on this board - for a 40 + gallon tank a Zoo Med 24" fixture -- Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt found at PetSmart or a Sunblaster Nano Tech - I can post websites for you if you like --- as of now your dragon is not getting enough UVB - you can unobstruct the MVB and that will give you more UVB exposure but I would get another UVB as soon as you can -- the MVB gets weaker and weaker and we recommend changing that bulb out every 6 months if your going to continue to use as the only source of UVB- the heat on the MVB's are great not so much UVB -- have you had her in a bath to see if she will drink that way? Watch her poops they will tell you if shes dehydrated -- dark form moist poop and white formed urate - no dried out or chalky looking - she is dehyrated then -- is she eating her salads? If so please rinse before serving and that will also give moisture to her -- she needs vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 times per week dusted on her live insects if shes not eating her greens - calcium D3 once per week dusted on her insects and regular calcium w/ no phosphate 2 times per week -- your UVB will help her synthesize the calcium shes getting ---

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Welcome to the forum--- how are you getting surface basking temps? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate -- they should be 95-100 for surface and 100 or so ambient - cool side 80ish during the day - night 65-75 --- the PowerSun is a good bulb but for heat mainly- on top of the screen the UVB is being blocked by 30% or so - I recommend setting up another UVB there are 3 recommended on this board - for a 40 + gallon tank a Zoo Med 24" fixture -- Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt found at PetSmart or a Sunblaster Nano Tech - I can post websites for you if you like --- as of now your dragon is not getting enough UVB - you can unobstruct the MVB and that will give you more UVB exposure but I would get another UVB as soon as you can -- the MVB gets weaker and weaker and we recommend changing that bulb out every 6 months if your going to continue to use as the only source of UVB- the heat on the MVB's are great not so much UVB -- have you had her in a bath to see if she will drink that way? Watch her poops they will tell you if shes dehydrated -- dark form moist poop and white formed urate - no dried out or chalky looking - she is dehyrated then -- is she eating her salads? If so please rinse before serving and that will also give moisture to her -- she needs vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 times per week dusted on her live insects if shes not eating her greens - calcium D3 once per week dusted on her insects and regular calcium w/ no phosphate 2 times per week -- your UVB will help her synthesize the calcium shes getting ---
Digital probe thermometer. Apparently it’s 75 gal tank. I don’t think they gave her a bath ever. I’ve given her a few not staying in long because she goes frantic. Extending time every time I do it.
I’m refraining from insects until she starts eating greens again? I think she expects them now, especially hornworms, but I think gets fluids from them.
Confused about where to put the uvb and inside tank or outside. Not sure how to do inside. Probably forums for this stuff. But having trouble navigating all the forums.
Thank you!!!!

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Which forum should I be for the lighting?
Btw I just deep cleaned the tank - she fell from my chest wiggled out of my hand. I put her on the floor walking ok, and checked limbs so I think she’s ok…..ugh.
Sorry posting here. I’ll figure this out eventually 😵‍💫

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Which forum should I be for the lighting?
Btw I just deep cleaned the tank - she fell from my chest wiggled out of my hand. I put her on the floor walking ok, and checked limbs so I think she’s ok…..ugh.
Sorry posting here. I’ll figure this out eventually 😵‍💫
No certain forum for UVB - https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/beginner-guide-to-bearded-dragon-lighting.2/ -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/introduction-to-uv-lighting.3/ https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/lighting-guide.22/
here are some articles regarding lighting etc ---
If shes freaking out about the bathing I would refrain from it- is she getting a black beard?
I posted the websites for you regarding the UVB -- we can help you get it placed for your tank - your screen will determine placement and distance for the UVB -- I can post links for you to get a UVB if you cant find the ones recommended

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
No certain forum for UVB - https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/beginner-guide-to-bearded-dragon-lighting.2/ -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/introduction-to-uv-lighting.3/ https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/lighting-guide.22/
here are some articles regarding lighting etc ---
If shes freaking out about the bathing I would refrain from it- is she getting a black beard?
I posted the websites for you regarding the UVB -- we can help you get it placed for your tank - your screen will determine placement and distance for the UVB -- I can post links for you to get a UVB if you cant find the ones recommended
No black beard. Just skittish I think. I really think she’ll get used to it. Thanks I’ll check the link!!!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Welcome to the forum :)
As from the pics she looks like she can go on a little less bugs.
UVB and calcium are very important. Personally I offer salads daily and put a sephia shell on the side which he will chew on from time to time for extra calcium. My boy gets bugs only twice a week and worms of any kind only if he has eaten his dubias (or locusts) prior ;)

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Welcome to the forum :)
As from the pics she looks like she can go on a little less bugs.
UVB and calcium are very important. Personally I offer salads daily and put a sephia shell on the side which he will chew on from time to time for extra calcium. My boy gets bugs only twice a week and worms of any kind only if he has eaten his dubias (or locusts) prior ;)
She’s actually pretty thin when I stand her up??

Attachments

• IMG_4136.jpeg
    IMG_4136.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 15

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
She’s actually pretty thin when I stand her up??
You can't really tell by looking at her like this.
You can look at the fat pads at the back of the head, they should not be sunken.
The bones on the hip should not be visible.
The tail should be pear shaped with a slightly slimer base and not touching the ground when she stands upright.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom