superworm enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
hi, so i recently found superworms easily to care for and im wondering what kind of enclosure would be best to keep and breed the worms and the beetles.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Maybe a small old tank with a mesh top or a small rubbermaid bin with small holes cut in the top. I've used both with success. I used oats as substrate and then put some fresh veges on top of the oats every couple of days (keeping it fresh, don't let it mold). Now I just leave the supers in the bin with my roaches and treat them as cleaner crew but before I did that it worked out pretty well. Keep in mind the beetles can climb so once they appear they may climb out without a lid. I also found that cardboard tubes were appreciated by the beetles for housing.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
CooperDragon":2m3kz1b5 said:
Now I just leave the supers in the bin with my roaches and treat them as cleaner crew but before I did that it worked out pretty well.
:? Would you mind elucidating on this, or point me to a thread where you already have?
You're raising them together in the same container?
Which is the cleaner crew for which?
The highlighted phrase confuses me; if things worked out pretty well before combining them, then why did you combine them?
How's raising them together working out?

Sorry for the seemingly 3rd degree--it's just that this is the first time I've heard of anything like this. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just stopped wanting to use them for food (my dragon eats mostly veges so I need very few bugs). I didn't have many supers and they lived for years in their bin. The beetles were pretty good for dental health due to their extra hard shells so I offer them occasionally. Then I started putting them in the bin with the roaches to see what they'd do. They seemed to thrive so I left them there. Then the frass in my roach bin started to get a bit out of control so I ordered some supers (the other worms had died off or been fed off by then) and just dumped the order in with the roaches and morio beetles. They have been living in the frass and on the veges I feed the roaches for a couple of years now and do a really great job of keeping the smell and frass level under control. I treat them as cleaner crew for the roach bin rather than feeders for my dragon now.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah I use some supers in my roach bin too. Mainly because of cooper lol.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom