Starting My First Dubia Colony... Need ideas..pics..etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
SOOO I'm patiently waiting the arrival of my dubias... Well not patiently lol... I'm trying to get my bin set up and I want some of u to post pics of your set ups! :D

sdkid123

Hatchling Member
Make sure you keep them away from ants!!!2 days ago, ants found my colony and they killed half my colony wahhhh!!! :angry5: :banghead:

I dont keep a thermometer in her because i already know the temps i keep them in a shed that always stays at 87degrees!:)
DSC02359.jpg

DSC02360.jpg

DSC02362.jpg

DSC02361-1.jpg

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the ideas guys and great video! Here are a few pics of my newly created one.. My roaches should b here today.. I have ceramic tiles that I'm gonna lay on the floor and sit the heating pad on and then my bin.. So the tile will warm up too :D

34597cf0.jpg

8e6d97fe.jpg

8b417551.jpg

jodyberry

Hatchling Member
Nice!

Those are weird looking crates! What did they hold?

Even though I'm not using an under-heater bin, I thought I recall someone saying you should only have the heating area covering about 75% of the bottom so the roaches have a cool place to go if it gets too hot. (Maybe someone who knows more can correct me!)

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
nice!! that's a big top vent opening, you may have to block off some of it if you can't get the temperatures high enough.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
MrWhite":soj6259g said:
nice!! that's a big top vent opening, you may have to block off some of it if you can't get the temperatures high enough.
Thanks! Well the room that they will b in is usually warmer than the rest of the house and with them sitting on the tile maybe it will keep the heat in but I did keep the center piece that I cut out just in case..
jodyberry":soj6259g said:
Nice!

Those are weird looking crates! What did they hold?

Even though I'm not using an under-heater bin, I thought I recall someone saying you should only have the heating area covering about 75% of the bottom so the roaches have a cool place to go if it gets too hot. (Maybe someone who knows more can correct me!)

Thank u :) those are actually Yankee candle crates haha my husband is a manager at bed bath & beyond and they had a huge shipment come in.. I'm only going to put the heating pad on one end so they can escpe the heat if they need to plus they can climb up.. I have a bigger bin that I'm going to set up later when I get ready to separate..

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":34avcf2g said:
Hope you get tons and tons of babies being born :mrgreen:

-Brandon
Lol I just picked them up from the post office and I have to admit I'm a little freaked out

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
Slave2Scarlett":rlzsnake said:
claudiusx":rlzsnake said:
Hope you get tons and tons of babies being born :mrgreen:

-Brandon
Lol I just picked them up from the post office and I have to admit I'm a little freaked out

yeah, I can see why!! I don't like bugs in general, I have to pick up a nice fat adult every once in a why just so I can get used to them... :oops:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You will get used to them Scarlet. After awhile I started seeing them as pets. Especially the babies they are so cute lol.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom