Gravid, MBD and underweight??

zonkey

Original Poster
So, I have a maybe 3 or 4 year old female beardie (as the vet guessed) with MBD. Got her about two weeks ago now. She’s also rather underweight and maybe dehydrated too, judging by how wrinkly and dry she feels. Also is missing 4 toes, though that’s not terribly relevant I guess lol. Anyways, before me, for a couple of weeks she was in the care of the girl who initially found her in a dumpster. She was eating her greens, veggies and bugs just fine it seemed. When I first got her, she ate her greens immediately as soon as I put her in her tank. And she would go crazy for dubia. That’s how it was going for a few days. Then as you may remember from my other post lol; I realized unfortunately I was giving her too many bugs and she started not caring about greens at all. I was going to just “wait it out,” but others encouraged me to just to keep on giving her gutloaded bugs given she’s underweight and I was told I can worry about getting her on a regular diet once she’s up to a healthy weight. So I gave her some more dubias, which I have been gutloading with veggies and greens. Was also giving her some wax worms here and there. But primarily dubia. Anyway, then all of a sudden she didn’t really want to eat anything at all, and has sometimes been pooping multiple times a day (usually very small or just urate) whereas before she’s pooped maybe, 2 times in the time I’ve had her, but then this week since this has all been unfolding, she’s pooping ALL the time. And she would get major zoomies and just run frantically and climb and just very restless, which I thought at first was maybe just the poop (I cleaned it as soon as I could) but then this behavior has continued regardless of poop or not. At first it was just very restless running around and climbing, but now she is also glass surfing as well on top of that. And she doesn’t want to eat anything, not even her fav dubia or a hornworm treat. She basks, then she’ll start going crazy again, poops several times a day now usually, even if it’s just a very tiny amount or only urate. I’m starting to suspect she’s gravid, but obviously, this has concerned me, because she’s already underweight and dehydrated, and now she doesn’t wanna eat anything. I give her baths so she can soak usually everyday, in hopes of getting her to drink or whatever, but I’ve only seen her drink water maybe 3 times the whole time I’ve had her these last 2 or so weeks. I sprinkle water on top of her head (she drank it the first time when I first got her) and she drank when I gave her her first bath, and I think she even took one lick out of her little water bowl once too. But I haven’t seen her drink anymore besides that, unless I just haven’t seen it. I know they get hydration from their veggies and stuff too, but she’s not eating right now so that’s tricky. But regardless, given I’ve just barely got her, and just want to help the poor thing get back to better health, you guys can probably understand my frustrations and worries about it all. Just an inconvenient time to be gravid LOL. But I guess I just wanted to ask if this does indeed seem to be gravid symptoms, and what I should be doing? I have made her a dig/lay box. And any time she gapes while basking, I have been trying to sneak veggies, greens and bugs in her mouth. It’s only worked a few times. But from what I understand loss of appetite is normal when gravid.. but it’s just concerning me given her condition— I mean she’s not like deathly horribly underweight, but she is underweight, and with her MBD too, it’s frustrating with her not eating since that’s where she gets her calcium powder (she does have a good UVB bulb, at least). So yeah, just any advice, information, help etc would be so very appreciated. I just wanna help this poor girl.
I’ll attach some pics of Martha <3 She is pretty spunky (especially now LOL) and despite her MBD and missing toes, she really does a good job getting around and climbing, even if it takes her a minute sometimes, she’s very determined.
IMG_4868.jpeg
IMG_4869.jpeg

PS. You guys see that darker bit on her beard?? It’s very similar to a chunk on her tail— is that shed?? Cos it’s always like that. She had part of this darker she’d come off her tail, but there’s some more still, and it kinda looks like she’s got some on her beard too? Idk lol, but like I said I have been giving her a lot of soaks.

Thank you guys sm. I really appreciate you al and I really love this forum. Everybody is very nice and helpful here and you guys don’t make me feel stupid when I ask all these weird questions 😂💖

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Right now it's completely foreign to her and plus it's not like a cave. Once you have a lot more sand, put a lid on, [ even if you have to use a piece of cardboard], stack the sand higher on one end , starting a hole for her with your hand, she might begin digging or investigating.

zonkey

Original Poster
added a bunch of sand, I’ll try putting her in it again today.
I think I mentioned I managed to sneak a few tiny veggies in her mouth when she was gaping the other day. I think Sunday, she ate one big dubia roach that I coated in calcium and Herptivite. Don’t think she ate anything yesterday. Did get her to drink a tiny bit of water I think?? I’m just concerned again given her being underweight. I’m just hoping she’s not gravid for too long. I just worry about her condition worsening.
She’s not like deathly skinny, but she is definitely skinny, and she feels very delicate (I’m sure mostly due in part to the MBD though). Her fat pads are very slightly dipped in, but not majorly, you have to look pretty hard.
Here’s when she decided she wanted to go to bed in her lay box (before I added the new sand btw! It’s much fuller now)
IMG_4876.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, that's a cute pic. :) Once you get the lay box fuller , pack it up on one side and start a cave with your hand. Or you can use a cardboard box [ boot size ] in there, upside down with one end off for her to go in.

zonkey

Original Poster
After an hour or so of trying to escape and climb her way out of the lay box, she is FINALLY digging! Though… she’s chosen to dig on the shallower end 🤦‍♀️🤣 oh Martha. She runs on 2 brain cells I swear LOL. We will see what happens I guess!!!!

zonkey

Original Poster
After an hour or so of trying to escape and climb her way out of the lay box, she is FINALLY digging! Though… she’s chosen to dig on the shallower end 🤦‍♀️🤣 oh Martha. She runs on 2 brain cells I swear LOL. We will see what happens I guess!!!!
IMG_4908.jpeg

She dug for a while, then moved away a bit from the hole she made. Now she’s just chilling out and looks like she might take a nap ?
Should I just leave her in there for a while? What exactly is the process? Lol

zonkey

Original Poster
View attachment 87105
She dug for a while, then moved away a bit from the hole she made. Now she’s just chilling out and looks like she might take a nap ?
Should I just leave her in there for a while? What exactly is the process? Lol
IMG_4911.jpeg

Aaaand she’s back to digging. Guess I should just leave her be for a few hours?

*also note the weird white bit on her back, that’s from calcium powder that fell off a roach that was trying to escape and crawled over her 😅

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Overall she looks pretty good. Why do you think she has mbd?
Her weight looks decent also, I'm not seeing hip bones or super thin tail, or kinks ect.
Does she tremble when she is focused on food, or have tremors?
As far as the dig box, just let her do her thing. Just make sure she can get out (and back in) as she pleases. They like to dig regardless and it's good enrichment even if they aren't gravid. I give them to mine every little bit just to let them play.

zonkey

Original Poster
Overall she looks pretty good. Why do you think she has mbd?
Her weight looks decent also, I'm not seeing hip bones or super thin tail, or kinks ect.
Does she tremble when she is focused on food, or have tremors?
As far as the dig box, just let her do her thing. Just make sure she can get out (and back in) as she pleases. They like to dig regardless and it's good enrichment even if they aren't gravid. I give them to mine every little bit just to let them play.
My friend who rescued her from a dumpster took her to the vet before I adopted her, and they told her she had MBD and was underweight (though not terribly). I am taking her to another specifically exotic ver here next week though. She gets around pretty well and climbs well for missing 4 toes and all that lol. I think she’s been looking better the last few weeks, but sometimes you can see it, I think. She does have slight tremors in her legs sometimes when she is turning or moving, though not always. Just sometimes. Think she has a minor kink in her tail that I have noticed.
Here’s a pic of what she looked like when my friend had initially found her. Her spine is kind of pronounced. Really hard to tell in photos though. Not sure how to explain it but she just feels very delicate compared to other beardies I’ve held if that makes sense?? Like they feel all sturdy and thick usually. But she’s very fragile and light feeling. But she’s very alert, especially since she’s been gravid lol

Attachments

• IMG_4913.jpg
    IMG_4913.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 22

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She is on the " light side " as far as body weight but it's SO good that you found her + took great care of her so now she has the best chance in this scenario. She's actively digging so has pretty good energy for her condition.
Dirt on the face is normal, don't worry about that now. Keep us posted though !

zonkey

Original Poster
She is on the " light side " as far as body weight but it's SO good that you found her + took great care of her so now she has the best chance in this scenario. She's actively digging so has pretty good energy for her condition.
Dirt on the face is normal, don't worry about that now. Keep us posted though !
Okay that is good to hear!!
Just get nervous about it getting in her nose or something. She was in there for a couple of hours and did a lot of digging, but no eggs as of now. She stopped digging and wanted out, so I got her back in her tank and she’s basking. Should I put her back in the lay box later today, or just wait til tomorrow? How often should I be putting her in there?

PS, here’s a video of her digging in the hole she’s making 😂 Sooo cute.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What a good girl ! Give her a while to rest and heat up a bit, then put her back. Can you find a cardboard box upside down with one end removed [placed over the sand ] to use like I mentioned ? It might help her to feel like she's really digging the cave more quickly.

zonkey

Original Poster
What a good girl ! Give her a while to rest and heat up a bit, then put her back. Can you find a cardboard box upside down with one end removed [placed over the sand ] to use like I mentioned ? It might help her to feel like she's really digging the cave more quickly.
I should have one! I’ll try that when I put her back in later.

zonkey

Original Poster
How are things going ? Any more digging or is she sleeping by now ?
Thank you for checking!! I put her back in a while ago, she didn’t dig anymore but instead decided to take a nap 😂 So after a while I put her back in her tank. Now she’s just basking, her lights are set to turn off around 8:40 so there’s about another hour she’ll be awake I’m guessing. She usually conks out immediately as soon as those lights go off.
So I’ll put her back in the box tomorrow morning like I did today, and hopefully she starts to dig again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom