Sore on baby beardies lip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelly234

My dragon has a weird little sore on his mouth and his lip seems alittle swollen. I'm not sure if this was already there or just appeared but I just noticed it and I am worried. I'm not sure how to post pictures.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't see anything there . Is it possible that his mouth area is going to shed ? That can cause it to look puffed up. Can you post any more pics ? From this one there's nothing wrong.

Nelly234

Original Poster
He just finished shedding in his face and body now I'm waiting for his tail and oh I thought in the front there was a little bump because there's like these scale things around his mouth but not on the tip

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How long have you had him and can you list the exact name brand + how many watts the heat and uvb bulbs are ? Some uvb bulbs can cause eye problems, the pet store often sell bulbs that are not proper ones for beardies. Post a few pics of his tank + of the bulbs you have.

Nelly234

Original Poster
I had him for about two weeks. I have 100w repti basking spot lamp and reptisun terrarium hood T5 HO uvb
97717-901130732.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your set up is very nice, you did your homework. :) Is the t5 a 10.0 or a 5.0 ? And where did you get the baby ? Some babies that come from pet stores have problems from living on sand + not having proper uvb or temps. for the time they are there.

Nelly234

Original Poster
thank you:) and it was all because of this website! I spent more than 100 in the petstore on stuff I don't need and 10.0 is that good?

Nelly234

Original Poster
I got him at petco and he was living in pretty bad conditions. He was on sand, another beardie was housed w him, crickets crawling around and poop everywhere. I went today to petco since I was at toys r us and I went over to the bearded dragons and I waa absolutely disgusted! I saw many videos on horrible petco conditions but what I saw was really disgusting. There was about 10 baby bearded dragons stacked up ontop of eachother poop was literally everywhere.... And then there was on in the corner who couldn't even lift himself up his hands were all bent so I know from research he has matoblic bone disease(not sure exactly how to spell it) his tongue also was a swollen ball... I felt horrible. I almost started crying I told the workers they needed to do something and the lady turned around and said yea he does look alittle ill.... Are u kidding me? I had absolutely no idea how badly they actually treat these animals.... I understand its not fully the workers fault but they are working there they should take initiative to at least care for these animals alittle bit... These animals were completely forgotten about.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like a terrible place, poor little dragons. :( You could always go in there and make sure other customers see the conditions and ask the manager what they will do about it, that it's unacceptable.

So your little guy had a rough start. How much and what is he eating now ? Is your Reptisun the long tube t8 or t5 ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great looking setup. :D
If you are using a compact/coil light then that could cause some eye irritation perhaps.
Sand can also cause some eye problems too. Poor thing, he had a rough start to life! I
am sure he will be quite happy now in his new home.
That is so sad the conditions that he was in, I hate to hear that.
Keep us posted on his condition.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ooops, I'm sorry, you did mention that your uvb is a t5 Reptisun 10.0. So tes, good work ! How far is it from the basking spot and is the mesh screen fine or is it the larger holes like this.?

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30004/full

The larger holes allow much more uvb to go through but the fine mesh [ like windowscreen ] blocks up to 50 %. How is your baby doing ? He may have gotten sand in is eye at the store or may be keeping his eyes closed because he's sickly. How is his appetite , what is he eating ?

Nelly234

Original Poster
Thabk you :) I looked at the box and it says its a T5 repti sun hood but inside comes a free 5.0 light are these good? I also ordered seperately a 10.0 light because I didn't know the hood came w one. I went and told a worker and she put the sick dragon in a box, I thought this was even more cruel. I got into an argument with a customer because she was laughing and was saying I look mad like the bearded dragons and I'm like um yea I am mad and they're stressed so I'm not sure what's funny about that? And I told her since she thinks reptiles being tortured is funny maybe she should think about getting a fake plant as a pet or something, anything not live. My top has maybe smaller holes than that or same size, the uvb light is not long enough to sit across my tank. He's doing ok I think, he eats reptiworms and had more than 20 yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom