Some Dubia Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbles

1)What should be the capacity for a 35 gallon bin?

2)What is the best method to heat the bin? (i.e. heat pad, cable, etc?)

3)How many should I buy to start this colony?

-John

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Grumbles":fc6ab said:
1)What should be the capacity for a 35 gallon bin?Thousands, I keep breeder colonies in 35gallon tubs actually.

2)What is the best method to heat the bin? (i.e. heat pad, cable, etc?)I love heat cable. Cheapest per watt to run and easy to move around.

3)How many should I buy to start this colony?As many as you can afford. The more you invest now the faster they will save you money. If and when you do buy, make sure your getting adults, the more the better!

-John

Hope this helps :)

Grumbles":96b5a said:
And should the tank be slightly raised off the ground or does it matter if it sits right on top of the cable/pad?

Thanks again.

Based on my very recent experience, leave a space. I was using a heat mat for one of my roach bins and it evidently went haywire, melted a BIG hole all the way through the bin. I've got roaches everywhere now :cry:

Navan94

CapeFearDragons":1d5e3 said:
Grumbles":1d5e3 said:
And should the tank be slightly raised off the ground or does it matter if it sits right on top of the cable/pad?

Thanks again.

Based on my very recent experience, leave a space. I was using a heat mat for one of my roach bins and it evidently went haywire, melted a BIG hole all the way through the bin. I've got roaches everywhere now :cry:
Ouch! :(

The only thing I've done against this is put a towel folded in half long ways and rolled up the ends so the bottom edges of the tub at each end are sitting on the towel rolls. The heat pad is laying loosely underneath the tub on top of the towel (I wonder if that sentence makes any sense). I guess it would look something like this O=====______O The heatpad is slightly touching plastic, but it's not constantly pressed up against it with out some sort of circulation.

Grumbles

Original Poster
You guys don't think there is a terrible increase in electricity bills when just using one of those Walgreens heating pads, eh?

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Grumbles":42c66 said:
You guys don't think there is a terrible increase in electricity bills when just using one of those Walgreens heating pads, eh?
no way just go with cable or heating pad youll be fine

Grumbles

Original Poster
My vacant colony is now setup like this as of several minutes ago.
side1.jpg

Dimensions aren't exactly spot on but you get the idea.

Laura123

Hatchling Member
wow... thanks for the pic! I am struggling with my roaches. One, I was using a small undertank heater and it made a burn mark on my linoleum floor. Two, they are not reproducing very much. I have had them since march. I dont think my temps are high enough and maybe not enough humidity. I have had a few die offs, maybe 10. I started with 150 mixed with extra adults. I do think I will try this set up for my heating for my bin. hopefully that will help.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
I love to conserve energy so I always look for the best way of getting the best gain with the least amount of resource's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom