So if you use tiles, you dont need newspaper or sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just make sure it has a texture to it, because if it too smooth your beardie may have trouble walking on it. I use tile for my 6 month old beardie and I love it. When s/he poos, I just clean it off with baby wipes and once a week I steam clean it.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
aside from your dragon sliding around on it, their poop will spread out fast on smooth tiles of any kind.

i used to use this big smooth tile in my dragons cage... it just happened to be on the side of the tank they poop on. every day i would not only have to clean the tile but the glass under the tile. the poop would "migrate" across the tile until it found its way to the side of the tile.

stick with textured tile. if you scratch it with your fingernails, your fingers should skip across the surface just a little.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I just had my viv made today, its going to have a glass floor as the base, but I plan to put textured tiles on top and seal the edges with silicon, and grout the in between the tiles as well and seal them with silicon. Will this be ok? This would be great, then I will just put a basin inside with sand if ever my BD really feels like digging :-D
I hope my BD's will like it.They should have it by the end of week :)

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
not sure if you need to silicone and grout. i think its one or the other. i dont know if i would even seal them in. setting them in un-grouted will make it easier to take them out and clean them off.

sand is over rated. digging is but one behavior they exhibit in the wild. risking ingestion of their bedding(and possibly excriment) isnt worth letting them dig a hole, in my opinion.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
@jayscoot: Thanks for the quick reply. Well I was kinda thinking of fixing them in to the floor and in between, that way no dirt would go in between making me take them out if poops or pee seeps in. So what would happen is they will become my fixed flooring for good with no holes in between and cleaning them would mean cleaning the entire enclosure. If sealant is safe for the dragons then that would and easier job than grouting :-D What do you think?

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
well, to clean an individual tile(or tiles) all you'd have to do is take it out, scrape it off and wash it. if it was parmenantly in your tank, you would have to take your dragon out of the cage as well as all the decorations to clean it. you would be confined to that small space so it might be difficult and awkward to clean. sealing the tiles into your tank would make the enclosure heavy, you would also have less fredom if you decide to change something.

in the end its up to you. most people(not all) here have loose-tiled tanks, im actually curious to see how it turns out for you :wink: .

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Your points are well taken, I will trust your expert advise and will leave the tiles loose :) Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom