Silkback x non leather

Status
Not open for further replies.

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
Has anyone here bred a silkback? If so, what were the results on genes? Ive read that if you breed a silkback with anything besides another silkback or leather, you will get 100% leathers. Just curious.

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
I've always heard it was pretty dangerous to breed a silkback. Are they really that delicate? I mean I can see why it's a really bad idea to breed a female silkie because of the biting during the act but a male seems like it wouldn't be much more dangerous than a normal. I've never seen one except in pics so I may be way off on that. Anyone done it?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I wont breed a female silk. Ive seen normal dragons get torn up in breeding. A silk has skin, its that simple. a normal dragon regardless of morph has scales that are just tougher.

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
I personally wont breed a silk at all, tom is right they basically have skin not scales, it's just not safe for them. there is always artificial insemination, but at that point your no longer a hobby your a production line. so yea. And a male cam be damages just as easily as a female in breeding, I'm sure tom has seen it where the female isn't having it and bites the male.

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Thanks for the answers =). I have been wondering about that because I see a lot of breeders posting on fauna and other sites saying the have silkbacks that make great breeders etc and I always thought it seemed a little dangerous.

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
If you breed a silkback to a normal you will get all leathers. They have two sets of the leatherback gene so that is all they have to give to the babies and since it is co-dom they WILL be all leather.

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
well in the experience of breeders I know, (not my own as I don't and won't breed with silks) it has not been 100%. in theory it would be but genetics don't follow theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom