Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
My female beardie is roughly 2Y 4M’s. I started noticing she wasn’t feeling so good considering she wasn’t eating for a couple days & became lethargic. I just thought possibly partial brumation? She’s on a 12 hr on/off year round so she never goes into full brumation. Sunday night she had because very weak, and I started to worry. The next morning I took her in, they did X-rays and blood work. What had shown on the X-ray was gas.. they hydrated her, gave her an omnivore smoothie, and started her on antibiotics. Peperacillan. She’s roughly 300g’s. The next day I got the blood results and I was told she had a very high WBC and UA count. Way above normal. I requested for the results to be emailed to me. Today I took her in to retrieve the rest of her antibiotics and I noticed that her glucose was EXTREMELY high. I was told from the first doctor possible kidney infection, maybe even renal failure.. today I brought up the glucose that was NOT mentioned, and now I’m told there’s a high possibility it’s neuro endocrine gastric tumor. 😔
I’ve attached her blood work.
What I’m confused about is.. is it kidney related issues? Possibly diabetes? Or something that has been called fatal. I’m truly hoping for the best but would appreciate some clarity. I read in some other forums that diabetes IS possible with a high glucose level.. I go back in Friday and will be bringing up diabetes to see if that’s a possibility? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Anything is helpful! Maybe she’s battling 2 things at once? She sure is a survivor. ♥️

Attachments

• IMG_6567.jpeg
    IMG_6567.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6568.jpeg
    IMG_6568.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6564.jpeg
    IMG_6564.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 41

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's just a digital thermometer with probe end. You can pick one up at your petstore for probably 5-10 bucks. It's a cheap insurance policy to ensure your IR gun is measuring your basking surface properly. Leave the probe end in place for 5 minutes and then note the temperature. If it matches your IR gun then you'll know the IR gun is measuring that specific surface properly.

Ideally, you want a basking bulb that produces just light and heat, and a UVB fluorescent tube bulb for the UVB. This is allows a UV gradient throughout the tank just like a temperature gradient, and is much better UV than most off-brand MVB bulbs. Reptisun 10.0 T5 and Arcadia 12% or 14% are good bulbs. But you'd need a new fixture to house the bulb.

It will be interesting to see the new blood test results with the changes made so far. Hopefully they show improvement.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

When are you getting a new bloodtest done, soon?
I hope that the Glucose levels are improved as well
as the Uric acid levels, too.
You can get some milk thistle powder for now, to help
with kidney & liver issues. Black cherry powder is very
good for kidney problems, too.
Ok, piperacillin is routinely used, how long does the vet
want her to stay on the medication? Be sure to keep
her well hydrated.
Are you seeing any swelling on or around the hands,
feet, extremities, etc right now?
I hope she is doing better, keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
Hello,

When are you getting a new bloodtest done, soon?
I hope that the Glucose levels are improved as well
as the Uric acid levels, too.
You can get some milk thistle powder for now, to help
with kidney & liver issues. Black cherry powder is very
good for kidney problems, too.
Ok, piperacillin is routinely used, how long does the vet
want her to stay on the medication? Be sure to keep
her well hydrated.
Are you seeing any swelling on or around the hands,
feet, extremities, etc right now?
I hope she is doing better, keep us posted on her.

Tracie
I’ll be getting the blood test done in 2 weeks, around February 17th. That’s how long she’ll be on fluids and antibiotics for. Every other day up until her next blood draw.

I have seen swelling, I posted some photos below in reply to Brandon.

Thank you! Do I mix the milk thistle powder with water or her oxbow blend? She’s not eating solid food right now.

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
It's just a digital thermometer with probe end. You can pick one up at your petstore for probably 5-10 bucks. It's a cheap insurance policy to ensure your IR gun is measuring your basking surface properly. Leave the probe end in place for 5 minutes and then note the temperature. If it matches your IR gun then you'll know the IR gun is measuring that specific surface properly.

Ideally, you want a basking bulb that produces just light and heat, and a UVB fluorescent tube bulb for the UVB. This is allows a UV gradient throughout the tank just like a temperature gradient, and is much better UV than most off-brand MVB bulbs. Reptisun 10.0 T5 and Arcadia 12% or 14% are good bulbs. But you'd need a new fixture to house the bulb.

It will be interesting to see the new blood test results with the changes made so far. Hopefully they show improvement.

-Brandon
I just swapped her bulb for a new one. I’ll be ordering or picking up a probe today. I use to have the long UVB but switched to the bulb because I was told this one was fine by our local bearded dragon person.

I got black cherry powder to add into her probiotics as well!

Today she did really good! She took all of her subcutaneous fluids, had her antibiotics, drank 1ML of water, 1.5 ML of water with probiotics and black cherry, and ate 9ML of slurry!! As well as took her liquid gabapentin. 😃

Her eyes have been open a little more and her heads up! She still is lethargic and has been resting a lot but definitely improvement from the first time I took her in when she could barely keep her eyes open, and had labored breathing. I’ve been keeping the room nice and warm for her. I’m really hoping her high glucose has nothing to do with GNT and just stress related and or because she’s fighting a bad infection.

I will update in 1 week. Thank you!! 😊

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear her head has been up more so that is progress right now. I hope the black
cherry powder helps out also. Good for her, taking all of her fluids, & meds, too.
So, which UVB light are you using now, what brand? If it is a compact/coil, we don't recommend
those because they emit very poor quality & sometimes unsafe UVB wavelengths. Are you using
a mercury vapor bulb instead of a long tube bulb for UVB?

Keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan

-Brandon
It wouldn’t let me attach the video, but today she took all her medicine and fluids! Ate 9ml of slurry and ate her first solid food!!! 😊 only a piece and a half of green bell pepper but I’m glad she’s even interested in it!!! I’ll be making her some healthy salads with extra veggies on it to leave in there for her over the next 2 weeks, and hopefully she’ll want to munch on it! 🤞🏼

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
It wouldn’t let me attach the video, but today she took all her medicine and fluids! Ate 9ml of slurry and ate her first solid food!!! 😊 only a piece and a half of green bell pepper but I’m glad she’s even interested in it!!! I’ll be making her some healthy salads with extra veggies on it to leave in there for her over the next 2 weeks, and hopefully she’ll want to munch on it! 🤞🏼

Attachments

• IMG_6609.jpg
    IMG_6609.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 22

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
Hello,

I am happy to hear her head has been up more so that is progress right now. I hope the black
cherry powder helps out also. Good for her, taking all of her fluids, & meds, too.
So, which UVB light are you using now, what brand? If it is a compact/coil, we don't recommend
those because they emit very poor quality & sometimes unsafe UVB wavelengths. Are you using
a mercury vapor bulb instead of a long tube bulb for UVB?

Keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie
She ate her first solid piece of food today! A piece of green bell pepper. She still seems a little lethargic but she’s moving around a little more and keeps her eyes open longer! I recently bought black cherry powder, but how much exactly should I be giving her for her swollen extremities? She has swelling in her front and back right legs. It’s hard to take an accurate photo of. It’s not severe but definitely swollen. Also, what would the water to powder ratio be for the powder? Shes 296g.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very good news, she looks pretty alert there. The swelling is probably due to the higher
uric acid levels.
The black cherry powder can be mixed with her slurry & you don't have to use a lot. Maybe 1/8th
of a teaspoon in with a small amount of her slurry daily, to be sure she gets all of it.
Did they mention gout at all? Her uric acid levels really need to come down. If she has gout or at
least is developing it, I highly recommend getting her on some Allopurinol to help inhibit the production
of uric acid so that her system can start flushing it out of her body.
We are all pulling for her, I hope she is feeling better!

Tracie

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
Hello,

That is very good news, she looks pretty alert there. The swelling is probably due to the higher
uric acid levels.
The black cherry powder can be mixed with her slurry & you don't have to use a lot. Maybe 1/8th
of a teaspoon in with a small amount of her slurry daily, to be sure she gets all of it.
Did they mention gout at all? Her uric acid levels really need to come down. If she has gout or at
least is developing it, I highly recommend getting her on some Allopurinol to help inhibit the production
of uric acid so that her system can start flushing it out of her body.
We are all pulling for her, I hope she is feeling better!

Tracie
Good news! The doctor put her on allopurinol. Once a day for 14-30 days until re-examined. Hopefully we see some difference in swelling within a week or so. Her blood gets rechecked on the 20th of February. She’s been eating roughly 9-10ml of slurry everyday w/ probiotics, black cherry powder and organic squash baby food mixed in!

She’s more awake now than before. Been keeping her as hydrated as possible. I haven’t decided if I will continue the gabapentin, maybe for the next couple of days and then pull her off it. She’s only getting it once a day for pain. Today at her check up, the doctor found follicles!!! This poor girl, she’s going through it. So they told me to take her off any calcium I’m currently giving her now which was liquid calcium without D3, 0.3ML once a week and they gave me some stronger calcium to give her everyday for 30 days to help with her follicles.

She sure is a fighter! Vet said other than that she looks like she’s going much better! Definitely more alert. I was wondering, as far as protein goes she’s currently on the omnivore oxbow diet. Doc told me no to the herbivore, but I was curious about alfalfa? Could that be something I could try giving her? Where could I find it, how do I feed it and what brand? Thank you!! 😊

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
Good news! The doctor put her on allopurinol. Once a day for 14-30 days until re-examined. Hopefully we see some difference in swelling within a week or so. Her blood gets rechecked on the 20th of February. She’s been eating roughly 9-10ml of slurry everyday w/ probiotics, black cherry powder and organic squash baby food mixed in!

She’s more awake now than before. Been keeping her as hydrated as possible. I haven’t decided if I will continue the gabapentin, maybe for the next couple of days and then pull her off it. She’s only getting it once a day for pain. Today at her check up, the doctor found follicles!!! This poor girl, she’s going through it. So they told me to take her off any calcium I’m currently giving her now which was liquid calcium without D3, 0.3ML once a week and they gave me some stronger calcium to give her everyday for 30 days to help with her follicles.

She sure is a fighter! Vet said other than that she looks like she’s going much better! Definitely more alert. I was wondering, as far as protein goes she’s currently on the omnivore oxbow diet. Doc told me no to the herbivore, but I was curious about alfalfa? Could that be something I could try giving her? Where could I find it, how do I feed it and what brand? Thank you!! 😊

Attachments

• IMG_6627.jpeg
    IMG_6627.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 20

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great news, hopefully the Allopurinol will help her out. I'm sure that her uric acid levels will drop
pretty well. Once the levels start to go down the swelling should begin to recede also. I'm glad to hear
she is taking her slurry so well too.
She is having the luck, follicles now? That would definitely explain a lot though. That can sometimes
affect absorption of vitamins & minerals. I'm sure the stronger calcium will help out.
The Alfalfa leaf powder should be easy to find at most healthfood stores. Or you can look online for
organic brands. Here is a great company:
Alfalfa leaf is a non purine protein source so it is nutritious. You can give that with the herbivore if you
would like to.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom