Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
My female beardie is roughly 2Y 4M’s. I started noticing she wasn’t feeling so good considering she wasn’t eating for a couple days & became lethargic. I just thought possibly partial brumation? She’s on a 12 hr on/off year round so she never goes into full brumation. Sunday night she had because very weak, and I started to worry. The next morning I took her in, they did X-rays and blood work. What had shown on the X-ray was gas.. they hydrated her, gave her an omnivore smoothie, and started her on antibiotics. Peperacillan. She’s roughly 300g’s. The next day I got the blood results and I was told she had a very high WBC and UA count. Way above normal. I requested for the results to be emailed to me. Today I took her in to retrieve the rest of her antibiotics and I noticed that her glucose was EXTREMELY high. I was told from the first doctor possible kidney infection, maybe even renal failure.. today I brought up the glucose that was NOT mentioned, and now I’m told there’s a high possibility it’s neuro endocrine gastric tumor. 😔
I’ve attached her blood work.
What I’m confused about is.. is it kidney related issues? Possibly diabetes? Or something that has been called fatal. I’m truly hoping for the best but would appreciate some clarity. I read in some other forums that diabetes IS possible with a high glucose level.. I go back in Friday and will be bringing up diabetes to see if that’s a possibility? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Anything is helpful! Maybe she’s battling 2 things at once? She sure is a survivor. ♥️

Attachments

• IMG_6567.jpeg
    IMG_6567.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6568.jpeg
    IMG_6568.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6564.jpeg
    IMG_6564.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 41

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What does her daily diet look like?

They did imaging and blood work, determined she had gas, so prescribed antibiotics? Without waiting for the blood test results? Am I missing the logic in that or did you leave something out?

The uric acid levels are the most concerning thing to me in that bloodwork, but once you advise on what her daily diet looks like, we can better help.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Additionally, can you post some close up pictures of her ankles/feet, to check for swelling at the joints.
And a picture of her uncovered, so we can get a general look at her overall body and fat stores.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, the uric acid levels are very high, along with the globulin, & calcium.
Which antibiotics did the vet give? I agree with Brandon, it is usually not wise to automatically
medicate without just cause.
We do need to see some overall pictures of her to see if there are areas which are swollen due
to the high uric acid levels. It could be gout, or something else.
You could reduce protein intake to start helping the kidneys. What type of feed or gutload do you
use to feed the insects prior to feeding her?
Has she ever laid eggs?

Tracie

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
What does her daily diet look like?

They did imaging and blood work, determined she had gas, so prescribed antibiotics? Without waiting for the blood test results? Am I missing the logic in that or did you leave something out?

The uric acid levels are the most concerning thing to me in that bloodwork, but once you advise on what her daily diet looks like, we can better help.

-Brandon
Hello, and thank you for replying!
Yes, they started her on antibiotics the first moment I brought her in and gave her one dose because the doctor had suspected it was due to an infection but wasn’t sure until we got the blood results back.
They wanted to send me home with the full supply and I told them no, because if she didn’t have an infection I wasn’t going to pay $80 for the medication. But in turn ended up having an infection, and I had to retrieve the medication anyway.
I will post photos of her this evening around 5pm PST when I get home from work. Although yesterday I did notice some swelling on her rear right leg. :/
Her daily diet changes a lot, she’s not a thorough eater. Everyday I offer her fresh spring mix, occasionally shredded carrots and or bell pepper. I’ve tried collard greens and she hates them. :(
Once in a blue moon she will eat a couple adult roaches (without wings) maybe a little under 1” in size. Usually it’s only 3-6. She enjoys super worms, and horn worms. The most supers she’s ate in a day has been 10, the most horn worms have been 2. She has access to a water bowl because she occasionally enjoys splashing in it. Once in a while I will feed her a couple munchies from flukers medley treat blend that consists of mealworms, grasshoppers, and crickets (usually when she hasn’t wanted to eat for a day or two).

She is currently on oxbow critical care omnivore diet that I have been syringe feeding her with.

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
Hello,

Wow, the uric acid levels are very high, along with the globulin, & calcium.
Which antibiotics did the vet give? I agree with Brandon, it is usually not wise to automatically
medicate without just cause.
We do need to see some overall pictures of her to see if there are areas which are swollen due
to the high uric acid levels. It could be gout, or something else.
You could reduce protein intake to start helping the kidneys. What type of feed or gutload do you
use to feed the insects prior to feeding her?
Has she ever laid eggs?

Tracie
Thank you for replying!
Shes never laid eggs. They checked for any eggs and found none also checked for follicles and found none. I replied to Brandon about her diet.
I did think it was odd too, but Its still hard for me to tell right from wrong when it comes to vets and their suggestions, especially with reptiles since she is my first one. I do however think it’s odd that every second it seems like I get a new diagnosis. I wish I just knew exactly what was making her ill.
I will continue with antibiotics, and fluids for 2 weeks every other day and then retest her blood.
The vet gave me Peperacillin (I believe that’s how you spell it, I currently don’t have it on hand as I am at work). I do give her liquid calcium (without D3) once a week at 0.3 ML for her weight. I will take some photos and post after work around 5PM PST. Appreciate your help!!! ♥️

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can, i'd switch to the oxbow herbivore instead of omnivore. Her kidneys need a break from protein. Stop the roaches completely as a feeder insect at this point as they directly increase UA levels.

Try to keep up with oral hydration too. If she drinks in a bath, great, otherwise, try dripping water gently on her nose. Most dragons will eventually learn to drink this way if they are thirsty.

-Brandon

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
If you can, i'd switch to the oxbow herbivore instead of omnivore. Her kidneys need a break from protein. Stop the roaches completely as a feeder insect at this point as they directly increase UA levels.

Try to keep up with oral hydration too. If she drinks in a bath, great, otherwise, try dripping water gently on her nose. Most dragons will eventually learn to drink this way if they are thirsty.

-Brandon
The herbivore blend is still 17% protein compared to the omnivore at 21%. Is that ok? If so, I’ll order it right away. I could also blend up collard greens with water if that would be better? But I’m sure she may need the essential vitamins in the oxbow.

The smoothie is the only thing she’s currently eating. So no roaches here. I’m giving her a bath every other day on top of water on nose and her subcutaneous fluids she’ll start getting every other day as well instead of 2x/week.

I’ll be posting photos of her in about 30 minutes. Thank you for your help!!! Any recommendations I’m open to. I’m doing everything in my power to make sure she’s ok and comfortable.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The herbivore would be better. It's best to get some squash baby food and mix some of the oxbow into it. That slurry of babyfood and oxbow has been very successful over the years. Plus, if you need to add a bit of water to the mix too, it can help with the hydration. Although getting her to drink water straight would be ideal.

-Brandon

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
Feeding time for her. No black beard, but you can tell in her eyes she’s not feeling well. :/ her back right leg is swollen (left in photo) & her front left (right in photo) looks swollen as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6578.jpeg
    IMG_6578.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 30

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
The herbivore would be better. It's best to get some squash baby food and mix some of the oxbow into it. That slurry of babyfood and oxbow has been very successful over the years. Plus, if you need to add a bit of water to the mix too, it can help with the hydration. Although getting her to drink water straight would be ideal.

-Brandon
Perfect! I’ll order the herbivore and I already have organic baby food squash on hand! I’ve attached 2 other photos of her below!

Attachments

• IMG_6580.jpeg
    IMG_6580.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 25

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
She looks a little more alive in the face photo on the table. That was when I was feeding her and giving her water.. but unfortunately it doesn’t last long & she goes back to looking lethargic and in pain. 😔

Attachments

• IMG_6582.jpeg
    IMG_6582.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 22

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that she is eating the slurry. She look a bit cold even in the basking picture. I see in your profile you are using an IR thermometer. Do you have a digital with probe end that you can use to verify your IR thermometer is reading accurately?

Making sure her temperatures are proper is just as important as feeding her, especially when her body is fighting something.

What brand MVB are you using? And when was it last replaced?

Her joints don't look too bad like we see in beardies with severe gout, but its possible there are gout crystals forming making it painful to move. Hydration, no more dubias, and lower protein diet should help that.

-Brandon

Titaness22

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Titan
Feeding time for her. No black beard, but you can tell in her eyes she’s not feeling well. :/ her back right leg is swollen (left in photo) & her front left (right in photo) looks swollen as well.

It's good that she is eating the slurry. She look a bit cold even in the basking picture. I see in your profile you are using an IR thermometer. Do you have a digital with probe end that you can use to verify your IR thermometer is reading accurately?

Making sure her temperatures are proper is just as important as feeding her, especially when her body is fighting something.

What brand MVB are you using? And when was it last replaced?

Her joints don't look too bad like we see in beardies with severe gout, but its possible there are gout crystals forming making it painful to move. Hydration, no more dubias, and lower protein diet should help that.

-Brandon
Thank you for all of your help, truly! I’ve been at a loss lately. I go back into the vet tomorrow, and I’ll be asking this other doctor about her X-ray results regarding GNT.. I’m unsure if it’s always noticeable, but I’d assume if it was GNT as she fears it could maybe be, they would be able to see a mass on the results??

BACKSTORY: If I’m confusing you, I apologize. Originally I saw one doctor (they both work at the same clinic) the first one had told me it was kidney related.. completely skipping over the glucose until I noticed myself. I consulted the second doctor about it and she had told me it may possibly be GNT if not renal failure. 2 weeks she said would tell us for sure, when we re-test her blood after fluids & antibiotics..

I do not have a probe, just an IR. Currently it says her basking temp is 100.4. What exactly is the probe called and can I acquire it on Amazon?

I believe the brand is Solar Brite possibly from exo terra. I purchased it at a local reptile shop near me. I got it maybe 7 months ago. I’m going in tomorrow to purchase a new one regardless. I will find out the name of it for sure when I go in.

Perfect! Thank you, I’m doing all of the above and just ordered the herbivore mix. 🙏🏼

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom