Shiro's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to introduce my new baby beardie, Shiro (it means white in Japanese) becuase he or she is a white hypo beardie.

Really happy to have him/her and I hope questions and answers on this post will help other people that have a baby beardie.

To kick it off she/he is stunning and very cheeky already! Took dubia from my hand without blinking and jumped onto her hammock and is happily watching her new tank.

So far so good and vet check next week and every six months from there on.

My beautiful girl Tengu will be sadly missed but she taught me a lot and she will always be in my heart and memories, RIP Tengu chan we love you so much.

81643-5623108963.jpg

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi there

Please excuse my late reply. Been a bit hectic here and I have a cold :( first time in two years so not too bad.

Big boy is still shedding but today it's coming off in a huge amount. Poor boy hates it!!! He has a big pure white stomach :) currently he is hanging from his hammock so I'm thinking he will do his business all over the rock so it's bath time very soon for him. It should also remove all shed.

He's doing very well and growing like crazy. 5 months old now. I will weigh him after bath time :) I will take aniphone pic of his shed now :)

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
90% she'd off :)

I love the stink eye when you help them!!!

Also weigh day and she weighed in at 210g :) 5 months old I think that's quite perfect. :) :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, that is one huge shed, glad it's almost all off now.
210! That is a great weight for a 5 mo old! You'll have to measure him, too, to see how long he is.
He's beating Imp all over the place, though, and my scale's battery is dead, so either new battery or new scale, either way, not this week. Very broke, but paid on Friday, so that will help.

I'm off to the company doctor today, but going to the chiro before that as have very sore hips and there is a spot that went out last Thursday and couldn't get out on Saturday (had to cancel appt) because we're having snowfalls since Friday. Saturday I wouldn't take out my car, but was able to get out last night to shop a bit. Then we got more snow overnight. So this should be interesting. Hope I make it through, I'll let you know, then home, walk Bella and get the bus at 12:15 to get downtown to see CIBC doctor.

Otherwise, nothing much new. I have to open the oven and turn it on to get the living room at a proper temp in there, it's really low right now. Have had to do this constantly since Fri to warm the apartment up. I have only single windows in this apartment, so hard to get warm when it's -1 to -4. Luckily I have a good pair of winter boots, I don't use them every winter, just when there's snow.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
:shock: I hope you and your family will be well and safe -- using an oven to heat a room is never a good idea, especially if it's a gas oven. Do you have a good carbon monoxide detector?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
No, it's an electric oven, so no worries there at all.

I made it to the chiropractor (1/2 hr drive) in 1/2 hr, no traffic, smooth sailing. Same back home. Get home, Eric has been released from work because they owners didn't think anyone could make it in. Hope he gets more hours going forward!

On my way to my appt with work doc, going by bus, should be fine.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
OMG, he's HUGE! I can't believe this is the little on you brought home. What a great job you're doing with him! He's such a sweetie but now he's starting his juvie stage, meaning he's starting to turn into a teenager LOL Bratty behaviour, here it comes :lol:

Nothing new here, Eric is mostly staying here, will be nice when his girlfriend is over her cold and he starts staying there again. It's been nice to have him here, but he just sleeps, he's so tired.

So Xmas is coming and it's what to do with the kids. This weekend Eric has Friday off because he's taking Tracie (girlfriend) to a dance. So he picks the kids up on Sat and takes them home on Sunday. Tara wanted to know if we wanted them on Monday, but Eric and I are both working (even if I'm not, I'm not taking care of them for the day, too much for me) so declined to stay home, Eric won't be home anyway and would take them home after a day exhausting me? Nope, not happening, so it'll be a short weekend with Daddy, oh well.

Xmas weekend, the next one, Eric has to have the kids home Christmas morning (Sunday). They're still with us Friday night and Sat, Xmas eve. Guess he takes them home on Sat night or early Sun morning, not sure. They spend Christmas Day with Mom (and Dad should be there, too, at least in the am). We're off Mon and Tues because Xmas is Sun, Boxing Day is Mon, so we get 2 days to make up for that. I told Eric, he can get the kids back Xmas night and take them home Tues eve if he wants (Tues Dec 27 is Eric's b-day, so hopefully we have the kids with us so we can celebrate his 33rd birthday.

So that's what's hoppening so far for the next two weekends, I'm sure there will be changed, but we'll see. All I know is I can't handle those two by myself all day and I'm not doing it again. It exhausts me past the point of exhaustion and takes a couple of day s to recover and I don't have time for that. I promised to be full time at work by end January. I'll have to see if it's doable. At least I'm no coughing near as much using my puffer.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Big boy he is!

I'm wondering what to expect from the "bratty stage" any input is greatly appreciated!

Short weekend for daddy! LOL I look forward to hearing about the outcome of all this. It's so messy now.

Good to know you aren't coughing as much now. Work full time? Great if you can!!!!

How are the crew doing?? Hope Gabriel is okay. Imp eating properly?

This morning I put the dubia in her bowl and usually she waits for me to feed her but she climbed down and sat on her rock and munched away!!!!

The one thing I worry about a little is the size of the dubia. I always try for the smaller ones but it's getting more and more difficult because they are growing. The rule of the width of the dragons head is strict or is there a mm or two breathing room so to speak?

Keep well!

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Dubia actually don't have the size issue that crickets do. How big is Shiro? He should be able to handle 1" easily.

To put it in perspective, adult leopard geckos are safe eating 1" dubia. I think Shiro looks a bit bigger than a leo :wink:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That rule doesn't really apply to roaches, it's amazing how big they can eat them. Imp started eating them at Shiro's age and he was eating 1.9 cm long roaches. Your shiro can handle easily 1.2 cm at his age and size. No worries. Imp eats them about that long or a bit smaller and no, I still have to feed him every day, if I can. I'm home in the am tomorrow, so he'll get fed again. Castiel seems to be very groggy still, not his usual self, not sure if he's finished brumating. He's always very dark, but when I snuggle him he lightens up. I think I won't put him on his basking spot in the am and see what he does.

Gabriel was really active this am, he was all over the living room. I got more serrepeptase for him and he does enjoy the dose. He won't put his belly flat on anything anymore, always has to be at an angle. I know he's uncomfortable but he so enjoys being alive! The Serrepeptase helps him feel more comfortable, too. Plus his beard was his regular bright tangerine again. He got his bath, ate some roaches and felt just fine.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi there

Sorry for my very late reply. It's been hectic!!! I tried to mail twice and each time something came up or I fell asleep LOL

How's things with Erik? How's the crew? How are you?

Cat was in the vets for two nights due to not eating and throwing up. He had a cold or ate something he shouldn't of (maybe 1 dubia) so he's back now all healthy and crazy.

Shiro is HUGE and being a brat! I gave him a bath today and he did his business. Took him a while which makes a change. He's eating well and weigh day will be soon. Only a couple of weeks until his 6 month old check! It will be so interesting to see his blood work results!!!

Picture coming next

Merry Christmas!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so sorry that I missed these two pictures, I thought I had answered as I loved both of them. He's not quite white anymore, but his colours are beautiful. Can't wait to see how he is as an adult!

I'm amazed at how well Shiro is thriving in your new place. No relocation stress at all with him. As long as his human came with him, he's just a happy dragon :D

answered the PM you sent me.

Christmas morning I went over to my nephews (youngest brother Dave and Annika's boys) as I do every year. The roads were clear and no issues coming home at 1p either. Then it started to snow & by the evening the roads were awful, very slippery, so I stayed home. Our Xmas was the next day on the 26th, as it's a holiday in Canada, and I was so disappointed when I couldn't get the car out of my area. So went home, called my brother in tears and he said "Of course you're not missing Xmas, I'll be there to pick you up in about 1/2 hr" So he did and he drove me home, too. He has a big Volvo and with snow tires, it's very safe. I have great sibs.

Nathaniel woke up, I think he was thirsty, he seemed a bit dehydrated, so gave him a 1/2 hr bath, he pooped out a huge urate and then basked for awhile and now he's back to sleep. I have to move Cierra into my bedroom because I've decided that for the time I have Gabriel, he can stay in the living room where he'll have fun black bearding Imp and Imp can see Castiel, too, so he gets lots of practice with his bearding skills :lol: They beard each other all day :mrgreen: That's my boys :lol:

Now it's time for baths and getting Cierra's tank organized. I have to get the electrics organized and I'm picking up 2 new lights this weekend from my friend Joanne's. So Imp and Cierra will have new lights. I'm giving Nathaniel Imp's light because Imp keeps closing his eyes and I don't know if it's because of the light, as it's an 80W instead of a 100W, but that I'll get when I can afford it. Soon I hope. I just have to find the strength to get to work & stay there. At least my stomach is feeling better. Hope that lasts. Seeing the chiro on Sat just to be on the safe side. Hopefully I get the MRI soon.

So now that 2016 is almost gone, can't say I'm not glad to see it go. Here's to a very healthy, happier 2017, David to you and your family. Give Shiro and your cat hugs from us all, k?

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi there!

Happy new year :)

He is white, I think the colour balance was warm so it threw off his whiteness. He is so big now and weighing in at 284g which means he has put on 70g a month on average.

Him and the cat are quite funny because they don't seem to care about each other but still they are tense around each other :lol: Today Shiro went outside to catch some rays. First warm day for a while so he liked that. He also did his business all over the cats bed when the cat was at the vets having his operation. It was like he did it on purpose!!

No relocation stress at all with him, he seemed to enjoy it!!!

Great you got picked up! I hope it was a good day!

I will reply to the PM now or shortly :) I was taking pics of the cat jumping up the walls after a mouse pointer we have. He loves chasing it. Today Shiro moved to the front of the tank to watch the silly cat running and jumping up the walls :lol: :lol: he must think what a stupid animal that cat is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom