Sand? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Topic moved to enclosures
Hello
That depends on the age of the beardie and the type of sand as well as whether or not you feed inside the tank.Babies and juvies shouldnt be kept on any kind of loose substrate as the risk for impaction is increased.If you feed in the tank I would strongly recommend against it at any age.If you have an adult and feed outside the tank then washed and sifted non-silica based childrens play sand is ok but NEVER use reptisand,calcisand or anything if that sort.Personally I prefer solid substrates for all ages as it is the best way to avoid the risks of partical substrate complications.

Ax3sGizmo

Original Poster
Thanks! This is what I thought, but I was unsure. My local reptile store uses sand (most likely reptisand). Also, the previous owner of Gizmo used this sand. I'm not sure what type of sand it is though. I don't really trust the previous owner, because she did not use a UV light either. Anyways, thanks for the advice :D

tasharawiri

Wouldn't it be helpful if pet shops told people this? :roll:

We have just got a baby beardie and were told to use a substrate (like sand) in his tank. made by exo-terra even, supposed to be good for them. Bah.

Sorry, just getting annoyed about all the bad information out there from people who should know better! We were also told to feed him mainly mealworms.... But i did read about that somewhere, so only gave him one.

Will use newspaper for now.... can anyone tell me, the reptile carpet i have heard about... is that the same as astro-turf fake grass stuff? Or just looks like it?
Thanks,
Tasha :)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yes that would be helpful and some of us are trying to get them to be more forthcoming with correct data but it just isnt that easy.As for what to use now you can use newspaper but the ink can stain them so you may want to consider papertowel instead for the time being.As for repticarpet yes astro turf is similar and can be used as long as it isnt looped.You can also use non adhesive shelf liner which I prefer over repticarpet as it is MUCH easier to maintain not to mention cheaper and ceramic or slate tile is good also.I actually use a combo of 6 inch slate tiles and shelf liner in my tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom